curious about people's credentials

• Thread starter dean1963
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dean1963

i know from what i've read here that several people know exactly, and i mean exactly what their talking about.
aqua man for example, only to name one, but where did or do you get all this knowledge?
for me i have nobody that will help me personally so i use the internet, but always come here to check the answers.
school, college,university, years of experience,tutors or just dumb luck like my first grow?
i knocked it out of the park my first try and went down hill ever since.

TSD

TSD

I think for many people, it's just years of experience. Learning stuff for yourself, learning stuff through researching when stuff goes wrong. Trying different techniques, etc. Most people here genuinely want to help others learn from thier experiences... but there is a small percentage of know it alls that really don't know it all, or even much at all... but they get validation from sounding smart on the internet. Then there's full on trolls that just like to start shit. They usually don't last long... but yeah, always wait for a few replies before taking action just to be safe.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Like tsd said, ive learned from my own experiences (mainly fuckups) over the last 5 years. Ive never had a perfect grow, I have a good idea of what im doing but once an issue comes about, its there til the end because i suck at fixing it, and im still trying to get this whole organics thing down too now that i switched so thats messing things up too. Ive always found the best way to learn is through ones own mistakes.

D

dean1963

Like tsd said, ive learned from my own experiences (mainly fuckups) over the last 5 years. Ive never had a perfect grow, I have a good idea of what im doing but once an issue comes about, its there til the end because i suck at fixing it, and im still trying to get this whole organics thing down too now that i switched so thats messing things up too. Ive always found the best way to learn is through ones own mistakes.
i've learned from my mistakes as well, but i've also gotten a ton of help from here.
the 2 things i learned, the hard way, is proper watering practice
and you can't flush soil, no way, no how, and i don't give a fuck, even if says you can and he is my water god.

Last edited by a moderator:
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I remember reading a blog thread where there were people swearing up and down that flushing removes nutrient from flower!!!

One of the people involved in the discussion was a botanist and kept telling these people that science already proved that this was a myth. They just wouldn't listen.

In the beginning it was whatever knowledge I had learned from my time in my mothers gardens. After that it was mostly trial and error. Once I started working with licensed ops I had access to botanists and master growers so I was able to accelerate my knowledge after that.

Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

I thought I knew a lot...more than anyone I know personally. After coming here, I learned way more on such a detailed level I can no longer converse with others in the real world.

*Sniffle...I love guys!

"i have a personality flaw where i can become obsessed over learning and cant handle not understanding things of interest to me.

you know that guy whos friends call when they want an answer to something because they know if i dont know…. there is a good chance i wont sleep until i do and they laugh about that."

Ignorance is sometimes bliss...

Last edited by a moderator:
Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

The blank stare is the queue… thats when you’ve gone to far… lmao
At that point, the blank stare, I usually quote some ren and stimpy, or Rainman. If I could only follow the saying...“It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”

At that point I might as well throw in simulation theory/ many worlds theory and blow my load... Then go do a shot

Fromunda506

Fromunda506

The first seed I cracked was in the 90s and I have been learning through making mistakes and correcting them ever since. When everything goes great, all you learned is that what you did worked. You don’t take a lot of knowledge away to apply to your next grow, unless it goes exactly the same as your last grow. Messing crap up is how you learn stuff imo. A good base of knowledge sure helps, but it’s no substitute for getting your hands stinky

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Almost all of my knowledge comes from personal experience over several different hobbies and an immense amount of reading studies and anything i can get my hands on related to growing and cannabis.

i have a personality flaw where i can become obsessed over learning and cant handle not understanding things of interest to me.

you know that guy whos friends call when they want an answer to something because they know if i dont know…. there is a good chance i wont sleep until i do and they laugh about that.

Man, that all rings so damn true. The crossover between hobbies also, especially with your aquarium knowledge, is incredibly beneficial for DWC. I found beer making and being a lawn nerd surprising helpful crossover hobbies for me.
But the general theme that I think best describes what the OP is talking about is borderline obsessive personalities combined with many years of experience in trial and error.
Networking with many local experienced growers really helps too.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

What I find funny is the folks that come on here espousing their horticultural or botany resume seem to be the least informed. Over generalized for sure but you don’t see the GOATs focused on CV they are too busy getting it done in the real world.

I think the credentials that matter are not your degrees or where you went to school but the pictures you have across several grow diaries. Consistent results in the grow style you are doing are key if you are going to pick someone to listen to.

TSD

TSD

The first seed I cracked was in the 90s and I have been learning through making mistakes and correcting them ever since. When everything goes great, all you learned is that what you did worked. You don’t take a lot of knowledge away to apply to your next grow, unless it goes exactly the same as your last grow. Messing crap up is how you learn stuff imo. A good base of knowledge sure helps, but it’s no substitute for getting your hands stinky
You mean you're not an expert after your first successful grow? Shit, you better put out a memo on the farm, pretty sure I've seen a few people here that missed that one. 🤣
They say it takes at least 10,000 to be an expert on anything... I'm sure there are many here that have far surpassed that... even without counting the hours spent getting stoned and staring at your plants whispering "what the fuck is happening?" 🤣

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I've got yer credentials right here.

Fhfem5pop

Vouched for by both John Hancock and a smart motherfucker. No one else here has this.

Top Bottom