Curious

• Thread starter Kron Don
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kron Don

Im just curious what everyone prefers when doing vacuum purge. Purge, when the muffin gets too big turn off and release valve slowly, blah blah what Im getting at is do you take yours out use a heat gun or griddle on the oil then toss it back in for purging or do you have your chamber in a warm water dish keeping the oil warm while purging? Thank you much.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I prefer my oil in shatter form, rather than wax, so I purge at 115F and -29.5F in thin films, instead of making muffins. I prefer it that way, because it is fully purged and more floral before I pump away all the additional terpenes while processing it further into a wax.

Even though the wax is still floral, the terpene stench of the vacuum pump oil greives me when I change it after making a wax.

I use either a vacuum desiccator with a hot plate inside, a heated vacuum pot, or a vacuum oven, so as to keep the temperature a constant temperature. It is hard to get repeatable results, without uniform varibles.

When I do make muffins for others on request, I warm up the shatter and roll it into a ball, before blowing it up into a muffin and letting it sit in a warm vacuum chamber until it turns.

I lower the temperature to between 90 and 100F, so that the muffin stays inflated and doesn't slump before it turns to a hydrate. I deflate it and ball it up again or throttle the vacuum pressure using the backfill valve to control it, if it starts to over inflate.

K

Kron Don

Thanks. Been doing the everclear purge but just takes to long so I picked up a 6cfm pump and a desiccator w/reg. So Graywolf just keep my desiccator at an even 90-100 during purge and i should be good yeah?

Graywolf

Graywolf

Thanks. Been doing the everclear purge but just takes to long so I picked up a 6cfm pump and a desiccator w/reg. So Graywolf just keep my desiccator at an even 90-100 during purge and i should be good yeah?

Start low and play with the temperature, as it is slightly different with different strains. Above around a 100F, the muffin will be less inclined to stay inflated and around 115F it will be liquid enough to start flowing.

K

Kron Don

Start low and play with the temperature, as it is slightly different with different strains. Above around a 100F, the muffin will be less inclined to stay inflated and around 115F it will be liquid enough to start flowing.
First run with vacuum purge went great. Not the result I was going for though hahaha. I got some amazing shatter but I was aiming for honeycomb. Where did I go wrong here? I did not agitate the oil at all after scraping off the pyrex dish. Have seen some people doing that but I chose not to unless that is the only way.

Graywolf

Graywolf

You will go though the shatter stage on the way to making wax. If you will warm the shatter up enough to mold it into a ball and continue to run it, it should eventually wax up.

If you smell your pump oil afterwards, you will also see that it smells like the terpenes that you vacuumed out of your shatter.

K

Kron Don

You will go though the shatter stage on the way to making wax. If you will warm the shatter up enough to mold it into a ball and continue to run it, it should eventually wax up.

If you smell your pump oil afterwards, you will also see that it smells like the terpenes that you vacuumed out of your shatter.
Thanks man, makes sense. Raise the temps some and roll it up into a ball, gotcha! This is too much fun btw :cool: how long do you purge for anyway?
That first one I ran for 15 hours and Im guessing if I want honeycomb gonna be another 10 or so

Graywolf

Graywolf

We've concentrated on extracting for medical conditions mostly using oral and topical meds, and use an Absolute for vaporizing, so my experience making wax is limited. It has mostly happened by accident, and now that I am trying to learn how to reliably do it, I find it more elusive that the sure thing our orals and absolute shatters are.

So far, waxing has occurred from about one to eight hours and seems to be influenced by its age, plant wax content, and water content. The younger material, with higher moisture content, seems to wax up most easily, leading me to believe that moisture is forming hydrates with the oil and wax.

Perhaps some of the forum members who have concentrated on wax production, can better answer our question.

Top Bottom