GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
IMG 2398
Me:smoking:

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

I helped the old man plant the garden this weekend since ma is out of state visiting her sick mother, now I get to go cover the damn things before they freeze. They built their house and drilled their well in 1978, and have been nursing it for the last five years, waiting on Douglas County, Centennial, Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Aurora and a new development southwest of denver to allow new taps so they can get piped water and not have to redrill or truck water in. Old man suggested downsizing the garden since he doesn't eat much of it. I suggested planting crops that he will eat, not the lettuce that wilts or gets eaten, the radishes and beets that he grows but doesn't eat which is broadcast spread and never thinned. I made sure I was out of range when providing 'feedback'. The old man doesn't care to label his plant varieties, which generally isn't an issue until I got him a german green three years ago. He didn't pick a single one all season until frost because they weren't turning red. I'm giving myself a gold star this year after I drew mom a map so she'd know what's what when the hail comes and knocks everything to crap.

Decided on:
Carrots, radish, beets, pole and bush beans in raised beds
Cucumbers, straight eights and marketmores
Onions, yellow and white
Squash, green, yellow straight, yellow crookneck, acorn, butternut, spaghetti, white scallop
Eggplant, black beauty, early long purple, ichiban and a small fingerling variety I can't remember
Peppers, assortments of bells, jalepenos and poblano's, a few bhut's, some newmex, some hatch, a couple of trial hybrid giant stuffing types
Tomatoes, sungolds, juliets, and vs 100's on smalls, and mortgage lifters, san marzano's, Cherokee Purple, and a couple of hybrids, looking for a good indeterminate paste/sauce/salsa tomato. Trialing 'Kellogg's Breakfast', 'Roma Super Sauce', 'Homeslice', and 'Tomato Steak Sandwich'. About 25 tomatoes in 2 ft. cages made of 8" fencing.
Herbs, basil, oregano, thyme, cilantro, chives, rosemary

You old curmudgeons keep your feet warm and your farts dry. Or vice versa

M

mendel

I helped the old man plant the garden this weekend since ma is out of state visiting her sick mother, now I get to go cover the damn things before they freeze. They built their house and drilled their well in 1978, and have been nursing it for the last five years, waiting on Douglas County, Centennial, Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Aurora and a new development southwest of denver to allow new taps so they can get piped water and not have to redrill or truck water in. Old man suggested downsizing the garden since he doesn't eat much of it. I suggested planting crops that he will eat, not the lettuce that wilts or gets eaten, the radishes and beets that he grows but doesn't eat which is broadcast spread and never thinned. I made sure I was out of range when providing 'feedback'. The old man doesn't care to label his plant varieties, which generally isn't an issue until I got him a german green three years ago. He didn't pick a single one all season until frost because they weren't turning red. I'm giving myself a gold star this year after I drew mom a map so she'd know what's what when the hail comes and knocks everything to crap.

Decided on:
Carrots, radish, beets, pole and bush beans in raised beds
Cucumbers, straight eights and marketmores
Onions, yellow and white
Squash, green, yellow straight, yellow crookneck, acorn, butternut, spaghetti, white scallop
Eggplant, black beauty, early long purple, ichiban and a small fingerling variety I can't remember
Peppers, assortments of bells, jalepenos and poblano's, a few bhut's, some newmex, some hatch, a couple of trial hybrid giant stuffing types
Tomatoes, sungolds, juliets, and vs 100's on smalls, and mortgage lifters, san marzano's, Cherokee Purple, and a couple of hybrids, looking for a good indeterminate paste/sauce/salsa tomato. Trialing 'Kellogg's Breakfast', 'Roma Super Sauce', 'Homeslice', and 'Tomato Steak Sandwich'. About 25 tomatoes in 2 ft. cages made of 8" fencing.
Herbs, basil, oregano, thyme, cilantro, chives, rosemary

You old curmudgeons keep your feet warm and your farts dry. Or vice versa

You boys are meant for snow and freeze later in the week. You pulled the trigger to soon. I hope youve got some frost blanket ready.

yooper420

yooper420

Curmudgeonlander
Supporter
Good morning OFC, how be all you old farts ? Hope the sun shines on your behind today, cause it looks like another rainy day here. No matter, we gonna start today off with the OFC ritual of "wake n bake". Get your cup of coffee and a bowl of medicinal herb and here we go, puffin' and passin' to the next old fart in line.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

You boys are meant for snow and freeze later in the week. You pulled the trigger to soon. I hope youve got some frost blanket ready.
Put them down last night, mulch around the base of the plant, covered by bucket or blanket. If it's going to happen it's easier to 'deal' with smaller plants. Family plans and out of town stuff required planting this last weekend. Not ideal but it never seems to be here. They're biggest issue was limb loss for some maples.

M

mendel

Put them down last night, mulch around the base of the plant, covered by bucket or blanket. If it's going to happen it's easier to 'deal' with smaller plants. Family plans and out of town stuff required planting this last weekend. Not ideal but it never seems to be here. They're biggest issue was limb loss for some maples.

good job, I hate to see folks hard work go to waste because theyve started too soon. Sounds like youve got it handled.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Here's a love story that's better than twilight.

Mom noticed a small screetching bird every time she walked by the mailbox and eventually found that the bird was making a nest in the very back of the newspaper box. They had been out of state for two weeks, and had the newspaper delivery stopped. A crisis was in the works for the next morning when the newspaper delivery started again, and mom wanted to make a sign. With posterboard, but it couldn't cover the opening. I met her in the middle:
FinchFest1

Still not sure what species the bird is, other than it's a small beak, part black and part grey. The little thing flies away when anyone or anything gets close. First three eggs, then four, and finally five. Last week the little ones came, but I'm still not sure how many are there, at least four, but I think all five hatched. The one giving us evil eyes is the only one with his head above the nest, the rest are in there. It was fun trying to get my awesome phone camera to take a good picture.
FinchFest2

FinchFest3

FinchFest4

There is another head on the left and below this one, he's either first in line for breakfast or he was first out of the shell, or someone farted and he's trying to get fresh air.

Morning status report, mom is on the nest.

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

After Monday's high wore off, I was sore as I've ever been. I couldn't even open my hands Tuesday morning. By evening, I was seriously considering not going the next day. But, I had agreed to be there, and saddled up anyway. I drove an hour & a half, and blazed the whole way.
First to arrive, the owners & their hired hand weren't even saddled up, yet. The old patriarch came out of the big ranch house, but didn't say anything. A couple neighbors came. Then the rest of the dayworkers trickled in. Each, in turn, gave a firm handshake, and introduced themselves.
When the last kid beared down on my hand, and offered up a long winded introduction, including his family, what highschool he'd dropped out of, what two horses he'd brought & who was paying him to ride them... On and on. I could not take it. But, I told him my name, and that he'd have to excuse me. Told him I'd had too much coffee. In reality, he had literally squeezed the p*ss out of me.
Doing my best to keep up appearances, I mounted up right away, before anyone noticed how stiff & sore I really was. When I tipped my hat to the owner's bride, I was careful not to actually show the top of my head. Instead of socializing, I opted to go warm up my horse.
I recognized several horses, as I looked around. I've never been good at remembering people, but a horse, I never forget. I had sold six of the horses that were in the pen. So, most of these guys probably already knew who I am.
When the work began, the hired hand was trying to sort the calves, from the cows. His big ol' roan took up most of the gate, but the calves were just squirting by him on both sides. So, my little gold mare & I took over. She was born & bred for that task. Just business, as usual for us, diving & sliding back and forth. Kinda like a hockey goalie, stopping 285 pucks, rapid fire. I had taken over, and you could see the relief in the faces of the young owner & his bride. And, I'd loosened up a bit.
Once the fires were lit, I relied on muscle memory to flank the first set. I hit a good rhythm, and didn't struggle, at all. I roped the second set. my little mare showed some real finesse, giving me perfect position for shot after shot. Then, I flanked for two more sets. The final set was last year's late calves. They were big, some over 500 pounds. Even with the smallest horse, I was asked to rope, again. One neighbor and myself put on a show. By the end, I was reaching out 40 to fifty feet, to steal shots at these big calves. The old patriarch had branded every calf, without saying a damn thing. But even he was hooting n hollering.
When all was done, the young bride came up to pay me. She gave me full day's cowboy wage, $100. She thanked me, her and the owner said they'd definitely have more work for me. Also said they really liked my horses, and they would be in the market for next year's colt crop.
As we strolled up the hill, to eat lunch, the neighbor asked where I'd learned to use my long rope. (I use a 70' rope, while most use ropes half that.) Come to find out, we had worked for different divisions of the same ranch, back in the mid 90's. The young owner & bride looked at each other, for a minute, obviously shocked.
The neighbor, and I swapped stories about a few places we'd worked, life on the chuck wagon.. "back in my wilder days", kinda thing. I mentioned that I'd flanked calves in the very same pen we'd used that day, back in '94. I had came with my Dad, on my day off. I was working at a feedyard, and my Dad was working for their neighbor. The old patriarch, (with his hearing aids finally working, away from the bawling cows,) finally piped up, laughing. "That "skinny kid" you hired from the last branding, is the same kid I hired, when you were still in diapers!" Turned out the young bride is heiress to a pretty good sized ranch. The young owner had married the rancher's granddaughter, and they were taking over.
I'd pulled it off. Clean shaven, with my hat on, not a one of them would've guessed I was over 25, much less 40. I hadn't allowed my age to prevent me from getting back in the game. The neighbor asked me to cancel on a previous branding engagement, for his.
Old farts for the win!

M

mendel

Here's a love story that's better than twilight.

Mom noticed a small screetching bird every time she walked by the mailbox and eventually found that the bird was making a nest in the very back of the newspaper box. They had been out of state for two weeks, and had the newspaper delivery stopped. A crisis was in the works for the next morning when the newspaper delivery started again, and mom wanted to make a sign. With posterboard, but it couldn't cover the opening. I met her in the middle:
View attachment 701650
Still not sure what species the bird is, other than it's a small beak, part black and part grey. The little thing flies away when anyone or anything gets close. First three eggs, then four, and finally five. Last week the little ones came, but I'm still not sure how many are there, at least four, but I think all five hatched. The one giving us evil eyes is the only one with his head above the nest, the rest are in there. It was fun trying to get my awesome phone camera to take a good picture.
View attachment 701651
View attachment 701652
View attachment 701653
There is another head on the left and below this one, he's either first in line for breakfast or he was first out of the shell, or someone farted and he's trying to get fresh air.

Morning status report, mom is on the nest.

You could let the birds shit on the denver post, it might improve its content.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

good job, I hate to see folks hard work go to waste because theyve started too soon. Sounds like youve got it handled.
*tips hat, smokes joint*
I gathered a bunch of buckets, stakes, and blankets, and put them in a different spot. I didn't accomplish much. I read what you farm and ranch guys go through and I don't begin to have a handle on very much, at least in this context. I'm envious of how hard you guys all work. My biggest problem on the way to work was dropping my sunglass bag on the floor. Goldnboy's dash caught fire and it was nothin'. If that were me, I'd piss my pants and then try and come up with a different plan. I shovel snow off the deck and I get winded, you have to dig dead animals out of snow drifts. And yet, somehow I'm jealous in many ways. I certainly don't deserve recognition, folks like you and yours are the ones who really have things handled.

Youdarealmvp

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

You could let the birds shit on the denver post, it might improve its content.
I would rather read post op tranny sex advice from westword than the post. The only reason I ever had a sub was for the wednesday sports section with the fishing reports on the back, and movie times. But that was before AOL was mailing out cd's and fishexplorer wasn't a thing yet.
Last weekend's edition is in the garden and compost pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom