Custom lm301b QB for micro box

• Thread starter gorillaglueaaron
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SaintsSamilia

SaintsSamilia

Piecing it together is actually cheaper than those diy builds the parts list is how i started picking apart piece by piece what and how i wanted to mimic the top proven brand

SaintsSamilia

SaintsSamilia

I couldn't find any test results so I'm not sure exactly how many you'll need.
The way I figure it is right off the specs of the proven or tested equipment. The bragging rights to even me yesterday is actually the identical specs pushing the boards in the case of the diy i sent you if you bought 3 of those and added a center heat sync or even a singular driver instead of the 3 you are running and unbranded Diablo in all honesty running the 3 separate drivers your likely running a more efficient version of the Diablo

Screenshot 20210117 150000 Chrome
20210117 150330
gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I have this glue that I got for gluing the star boards onto my thermal pad, I have some questions and I'm wondering if maybe anyone has answers:

Since I'm using blanks star boards, could I use this to glue the diodes onto the boards and then wire them after?

Do I have to be really careful about air bubbles or is it not a big deal?

Timbo0716

Timbo0716

You need to power that equipment down and remove the wire, then give them a good twist. The fray in them can cause a short and possible fire from what i see in the picture.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
You need to power that equipment down and remove the wire, then give them a good twist. The fray in them can cause a short and possible fire from what i see in the picture.
I was trying to get minimal fray but no matter what I did I got some.
Could I just take some fine scissors and cut off the ones poking out?

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
So I was redoing the wires and the ground one broke so I'm just gonna have to not do that one.
Or could I solder it on?
Wires2

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I'm returning it because it turns out the other side has the same problem. Second return of this project. 😡

chemistry

chemistry

Change out the conector for a better quality one, and tin your wires before you insert them, stops loose strands shorting out the other conectors.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Change out the conector for a better quality one, and tin your wires before you insert them, stops loose strands shorting out the other conectors.
I issued a return already. I'll see how to new one does and if it fucks up too then I'll replace it.
I didn't think about that, I'll do it when I get the new one.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
My new start boards just arrived so I'm going to experiment draw on them with solder.

I just ordered 100 LEDs for less than $1 from ali express. They're not going to arrive for at least 2 months if they even ever do arrive but I'll see how good $0.01 LEDs are compared to $0.35 LEDs. They can't be 35 times worse.

Edit:

I tried soldering 1 of the diodes. I did not expect the size difference but I think I did okay for the first on. Not the easiest thing to do. I'm trying to keep the solder as far away from the diodes as possible to prevent damage to them.

Lm301b

I have a bunch of extra both diodes and boards so I'm still practicing.

Last edited:
gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Oh boy I feel stupid, these star boards I ordered are sticky on both sides. I called Digikey and they said this would work for me. This is not what I was looking for. I guess I'll try it out. This is not working out as planned.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Not the prettiest but it'll be functional. 3 down, 33 to go. I accidentally dropped some melted solder on one of the diodes so that one's fucked.
Thoughts?
Customqb

That's all the diodes I have today, those were just tests but I ended up using them. Another 40 are coming tomorrow. I only have 7 more I can fuck up with so hopefully I get better at this.

Whenever I upload a png from krita, it makes it all unsaturated like that, I don't know why.

Last edited:
Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Hey gorillaglueaaron, I appreciate your input on the homemade light. Always interesting to see what hindrances people meet and how it turns out

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Hey gorillaglueaaron, I appreciate your input on the homemade light. Always interesting to see what hindrances people meet and how it turns out
Yea. So far nothing has gone the way I had planned and I've spent triple what I thought I would.

SaintsSamilia

SaintsSamilia

My new start boards just arrived so I'm going to experiment draw on them with solder.

I just ordered 100 LEDs for less than $1 from ali express. They're not going to arrive for at least 2 months if they even ever do arrive but I'll see how good $0.01 LEDs are compared to $0.35 LEDs. They can't be 35 times worse.

Edit:

I tried soldering 1 of the diodes. I did not expect the size difference but I think I did okay for the first on. Not the easiest thing to do. I'm trying to keep the solder as far away from the diodes as possible to prevent damage to them.

View attachment 1080693
I have a bunch of extra both diodes and boards so I'm still practicing.
I'm glad your doing this while I'm debating it still. But good start and hopefully they all work out for you. I'm interested to see the end results

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I'm glad your doing this while I'm debating it still. But good start and hopefully they all work out for you. I'm interested to see the end results
I'm almost definitely not using the 1 cent ones, I honestly just got them to see if they even work. It's only $1 so why not.

Top Bottom