Custom lm301b QB for micro box

• Thread starter gorillaglueaaron
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Hey man get your soldiering skills up one penny at a time lmao you may be the next hottest thing on one cent builds ...😬
Soldering individual LEDs without a pcb is much harder than I was expecting.
I don't really mind how it looks, I just hope it's functional.

Hopefully they get cleaner as I do more.

Here's the diodes:

Last edited:
gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I'm practicing and I think I'm getting a bit better. Maybe? 🤣
IMG

SaintsSamilia

SaintsSamilia

Soldering individual LEDs without a pcb is much harder than I was expecting.
I don't really mind how it looks, I just hope it's functional.

Hopefully they get cleaner as I do more.

Here's the diodes:
Its so funny and awesome that im not the only one thinking this way ..😬🤣🤣 don't worry man I'm still shopping you'll be a master by the time I get my first try...I'll post shame pics im sure lmao

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Its so funny and awesome that im not the only one thinking this way ..😬🤣🤣 don't worry man I'm still shopping you'll be a master by the time I get my first try...I'll post shame pics im sure lmao
I've been fiddling with these for the past few hours. The pins on the LED are just too tiny. I bought 4 to practice with and I've ruined 3 of them by melting the sides. I have 1 extra right now and tomorrow I should be getting another 40 but I'm using 36 for my light so I only have 5 to spare. I might have to order more.

chemistry

chemistry

Not the prettiest but it'll be functional. 3 down, 33 to go. I accidentally dropped some melted solder on one of the diodes so that one's fucked.
Thoughts?View attachment 1080713

That's all the diodes I have today, those were just tests but I ended up using them. Another 40 are coming tomorrow. I only have 7 more I can fuck up with so hopefully I get better at this.

Whenever I upload a png from krita, it makes it all unsaturated like that, I don't know why.

Solder your all your pads first, then put on your diodes. 👍

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Solder your all your pads first, then put on your diodes. 👍
I tried that but the LED pins are just too tiny that I'd have to be exact. If that makes any sense. I'd have to solder it to the exact size of the LED.

chemistry

chemistry

I tried that but the LED pins are just too tiny that I'd have to be exact. If that makes any sense. I'd have to solder it to the exact size of the LED.

What I do with diodes is, flux the pads and tips of the diodes, use a pencil shaped tip on my solder iron, whack up the heat to 350/400 and just touch the tip with the solder rod, your only looking for a drip of solder on the pads.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
What I do with diodes is, flux the pads and tips of the diodes, use a pencil shaped tip on my solder iron, whack up the heat to 350/400 and just touch the tip with the solder rod, your only looking for a drip of solder on the pads.
That's basically what I'm doing but the solder just balls up on the iron and won't stick to the flux. My best method right now is drop some melted solder onto the pad and push/shape it onto the pins.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I'm going to try to do this with the wire and solder that right onto the led:
IMG0

chemistry

chemistry

That's basically what I'm doing but the solder just balls up on the iron and won't stick to the flux. My best method right now is drop some melted solder onto the pad and push/shape it onto the pins.

Try giving your board a wipe down with alcohol to make sure it's clean, as even greasy finger prints can float flux and stop it working, or a change of solder, not all solders are equal. 👍

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
New best method.

First try with it ended up better than all my other ones. One of the wires broke off but I just soldered it back together again. I can finally take a break for dinner. 😊

It could definitely use some more practice but I have a good feeing about it.

IMG1

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Ok good news. I've been messing with these LEDs for the past 3 days and I've finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I had the polarity wrong the whole time. I figured out a method that works so I'm doing that. I have 4 out of 36 done, I think I might be able to finish tonight.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I fucked that last one up but other than that I think it looks okay so far.

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Was it challenging to mount chip on ? Looks like one has slided out of centrum a little bit. Anyways, better than what I would throw together I suppose. Goong good :)

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I just finished and about 75% of the LEDs work so I'm going to find my mistakes in the 25%. It's really sloppy so I might decide to just do it all again now that I know how.

The diodes are ridiculously bright but also make 0 heat somehow.

Top Bottom