Damien's Photo Grow: Malawi X Panama Edition

• Thread starter damien50
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
damien50

damien50

@Jimster so like @Buzzer777 Malawi strain behaved, they'll be finished when all the leaves are done? Do I need to be checking trichomes at all? I plan to do like jumpincactus and let them dry on the vine for two weeks. It seems determining the ripeness of sativas is possibly different?

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

@Jimster so like @Buzzer777 Malawi strain behaved, they'll be finished when all the leaves are done? Do I need to be checking trichomes at all? I plan to do like jumpincactus and let them dry on the vine for two weeks. It seems determining the ripeness of sativas is possibly different?
Mine got a few amber, but I waited until I saw mostly cloudy..then it was time//no sampling and it may have been luck, but the smoke and rosin has been oerfect..No paranoia and if I hit the pipe enough..I can still fall asleep in the DAYS. Not pressing my luck at night.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
All strains are a little different, but Sativa's have a longer season than Indica plants, and I think that they don't show the signs like an Indica plant, as true Sativa doesn't typically have the big coating of Trichomes that you find on a lot of Indica. Hash plants, which are generally pure Indica strains, have tons of Trichomes that can be pressed for hash, while Sativa doesn't seem to have as many. It gets a lot, but they are different and not nearly as many, it seems. I have compared Sativa plants to trees during fall, and the comparison is pretty similar. Sativas will start to show yellowing leaves starting at the bottom of the plant and working it's way up. While this is going on, the smaller fan leaves that grow on the buds will start to change color, often showing purple if the temps drop during late flowering. Like trees, the leaves lose their chlorophyll and show their colors that were hidden by the chlorophyll. The buds are hard to time, since they often look ready after about 8-9 weeks, but they just keep going, getting thicker/heavier and getting greasy feeling. The plant might appear to stop growing, but the buds will keep getting fatter. When most/all of the large fan leaves are dropped and the smaller leaves are changing colors, that is when I take them down. I personally prefer to let them go too long than not long enough, as the flavor really develops at the very end. I've have sometimes left a Sativa just dry in the bucket, since they are really spent after flowering, and sometimes just die regardless of what you do with them. By just leaving them in the bucket for a few months after the lights had been switched yields a really unusual and hash-y tasting bud. Often they will be bright gold due to the chlorophyll being totally consumed from the plant tissues drying so slowly.
Sorry for the long ramble. I just love growing Sativas and not many folks nowadays grow them because they don't give the big hard nuggets that everyone craves or have the smell of a candy cane or similar stuff. I guess that is what I grew up with (Mexican/Vietnamese/Panama/Colombian) and I've grown it for decades. It is different to grow than Indica, with both having their own unique issues. I enjoy it for the sake of doing it and after a while you just kind of look at a plant and know what it needs or doesn't.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

All strains are a little different, but Sativa's have a longer season than Indica plants, and I think that they don't show the signs like an Indica plant, as true Sativa doesn't typically have the big coating of Trichomes that you find on a lot of Indica. Hash plants, which are generally pure Indica strains, have tons of Trichomes that can be pressed for hash, while Sativa doesn't seem to have as many. It gets a lot, but they are different and not nearly as many, it seems. I have compared Sativa plants to trees during fall, and the comparison is pretty similar. Sativas will start to show yellowing leaves starting at the bottom of the plant and working it's way up. While this is going on, the smaller fan leaves that grow on the buds will start to change color, often showing purple if the temps drop during late flowering. Like trees, the leaves lose their chlorophyll and show their colors that were hidden by the chlorophyll. The buds are hard to time, since they often look ready after about 8-9 weeks, but they just keep going, getting thicker/heavier and getting greasy feeling. The plant might appear to stop growing, but the buds will keep getting fatter. When most/all of the large fan leaves are dropped and the smaller leaves are changing colors, that is when I take them down. I personally prefer to let them go too long than not long enough, as the flavor really develops at the very end. I've have sometimes left a Sativa just dry in the bucket, since they are really spent after flowering, and sometimes just die regardless of what you do with them. By just leaving them in the bucket for a few months after the lights had been switched yields a really unusual and hash-y tasting bud. Often they will be bright gold due to the chlorophyll being totally consumed from the plant tissues drying so slowly.
Sorry for the long ramble. I just love growing Sativas and not many folks nowadays grow them because they don't give the big hard nuggets that everyone craves or have the smell of a candy cane or similar stuff. I guess that is what I grew up with (Mexican/Vietnamese/Panama/Colombian) and I've grown it for decades. It is different to grow than Indica, with both having their own unique issues. I enjoy it for the sake of doing it and after a while you just kind of look at a plant and know what it needs or doesn't.
TY for that..super enlightening!
Have you grown Jack Herer ? I was gifted a seed and it it nearing the end of flower now..doesn't look or grow like Malawi, but sure smells like her..
I hear that it also is superior for hash/rosin. I was a huge fan of hash in the 60's and still love it, but of late, have been rosin pressing that too!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
TY for that..super enlightening!
Have you grown Jack Herer ? I was gifted a seed and it it nearing the end of flower now..doesn't look or grow like Malawi, but sure smells like her..
I hear that it also is superior for hash/rosin. I was a huge fan of hash in the 60's and still love it, but of late, have been rosin pressing that too!
I have 1 or 2 Jack Herer's going currently, although I'm not positive if the one male I took down was a Herer or another strain since I got lazy and planted 2 plants in one container and can't remember which was which. I tried a couple different strains this grow besides my original Matanuska strain. I have a Black Diesel, a Train Wreck, a few Matanuska Thunders, a Jack Herer or two, a GC4 (Old Gorilla Glue name?), a Malawi or two...I think that's it. I think I let things go too long in veg mode as they are head level already and just getting into the stretch. The different sized plants is the most difficult thing about growing Sativas, Indicas, and hybrids together Some want to be 8 ft tall, while others are happy at 5. Of course, things could be a lot worse!

damien50

damien50

@Jimster well I got my supply of Growpito Rockwool, enzymes, and beneficials. Im thinking 5 gallon ebb and flow buckets with 5 gallon smart pots. You think that will be enough with a8 week veg or is the pot going to be too small? I'm thinking 4 buckets with a 55 gallon lidded trashcan

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
@Jimster well I got my supply of Growpito Rockwool, enzymes, and beneficials. Im thinking 5 gallon ebb and flow buckets with 5 gallon smart pots. You think that will be enough with a8 week veg or is the pot going to be too small? I'm thinking 4 buckets with a 55 gallon lidded trashcan
I don't grow in hydro, using Promix and composted manure instead. An 8 week veg should be OK, depending on how big you are going to let them get. Sativa's stretch more than Indica strains, so don't get too tall for your lights (Like I have done! :mad:) I'm not familiar with your style of growing, but I use 5 or 6 gallon buckets, watering daily FWIW, I DO see a small difference between identical plants grown in a 5 and a 6 gallon bucket, and the 6 gallon plant was notably larger despite being fed the same rations... so I guess the rule of thumb is the Bigger the Better!

damien50

damien50

I don't grow in hydro, using Promix and composted manure instead. An 8 week veg should be OK, depending on how big you are going to let them get. Sativa's stretch more than Indica strains, so don't get too tall for your lights (Like I have done! :mad:) I'm not familiar with your style of growing, but I use 5 or 6 gallon buckets, watering daily FWIW, I DO see a small difference between identical plants grown in a 5 and a 6 gallon bucket, and the 6 gallon plant was notably larger despite being fed the same rations... so I guess the rule of thumb is the Bigger the Better!

I'm switching to ebb and flow in Rockwool for my next grow. I kinda settled on 5 gallon buckets that I drilled holes into with a 55 gallon reservoir. I expect to top them quite a bit, just hoping 4 buckets will do me right.

Is a 1 gallon pot too small for mothers?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I'm switching to ebb and flow in Rockwool for my next grow. I kinda settled on 5 gallon buckets that I drilled holes into with a 55 gallon reservoir. I expect to top them quite a bit, just hoping 4 buckets will do me right.

Is a 1 gallon pot too small for mothers?
Mothers don't need to be too big, since you are just taking a few cutting from her. A 1 gallon pot should suffice depending on how many cuttings/clones you are making. I have 6 buckets for my Promix grow, and it easily provides me enough for a year. I have an 8 X 12 room and it is filled to the brim, so 4 should be good!

damien50

damien50

Mothers don't need to be too big, since you are just taking a few cutting from her. A 1 gallon pot should suffice depending on how many cuttings/clones you are making. I have 6 buckets for my Promix grow, and it easily provides me enough for a year. I have an 8 X 12 room and it is filled to the brim, so 4 should be good!

I only intend to take 4 at a time. Filled and pre charging 5 gallon buckets so I can transplant these clones. I have 6 phenos but I don't know which ones to keep

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I only intend to take 4 at a time. Filled and pre charging 5 gallon buckets so I can transplant these clones. I have 6 phenos but I don't know which ones to keep
I haven't tried auto's and I generally allow mine to get fairly tall... the result is usually a very large plant compared to SCROG methods. Autos don't grow as big (at least I don't think they do) as regular plants, and mine are mostly Sativa, which also grow tall and large. Depending on the size of your area, you might be able to get more in there than 4, although you are the best judge of this and maybe 4 would be a better start for you.
Regarding which pheno's to pick out of 6...I guess I would try the best looking 3 out of 6, and the 4th one would be either a funky looking one (as long as it isn't sickly), or if nothing looks interesting, I'd take the 4th largest. I mentioned the funky one as I had one pheno that looked totally different and not too attractive, at least at 1st. It turned out to be my favorite one! I still grow it 30+ yrs later. :)

damien50

damien50

I haven't tried auto's and I generally allow mine to get fairly tall... the result is usually a very large plant compared to SCROG methods. Autos don't grow as big (at least I don't think they do) as regular plants, and mine are mostly Sativa, which also grow tall and large. Depending on the size of your area, you might be able to get more in there than 4, although you are the best judge of this and maybe 4 would be a better start for you.
Regarding which pheno's to pick out of 6...I guess I would try the best looking 3 out of 6, and the 4th one would be either a funky looking one (as long as it isn't sickly), or if nothing looks interesting, I'd take the 4th largest. I mentioned the funky one as I had one pheno that looked totally different and not too attractive, at least at 1st. It turned out to be my favorite one! I still grow it 30+ yrs later. :)

I'm going to probably go off smell and which ones exhibits more of the Panama Red. I like the look of the red stems lol. The runt stretched quite a bit and with a 2 month veg, not one I really want to keep. All the ones of the left of the tent lacked vigour during veg but began flowering earlier. The ones on the right, especially the twins, showed a lot more red especially when I cropped them. Not really sure what I'll pick. I think I'll keep 4 mothers and on the third grow I'll make a final decision.

damien50

damien50

Day 28 - 5th Week of Flowering
Coco coir - 780ppm/5.9 ph
Jack's FeED 5-12-26/Growpito enzymes and microbes
73-84f Leaf Surface Temp
60-65% RH
32762~lux/720~ PPFD 3000k Average
4" Light Height
12/12

Been busy since my last update getting my fugly diy ebb and flow system together and some other stuff.

Transplanted 2/4 of the MXP clones to 5 gallon buckets. I chose two clones of two of the phenos for a 4 bucket scrog once these are done. Going to keep the other 4 phenos as mothers and if the two pheno I chose are possible mothers I'll go on a murdering spree lol. I chose the most vigorous of the clones that had already reached a foot. I'll veg everything under a300w MH while I get my closet converted to a veg room.

Otherwise the ones in the tent are just fine. One pheno is much slower to flower but I believe it was because of a two week veg. Still getting yellow leaves on the very bottom on some peculiar short branches that never flowered and kind of died on another pheno. Got the new nutrients and some enzymes+ microbes with nitrogen and phosphorus fixing.

I think I'll get an electric hoist in the tent for the light that I can control from my phone...

IMG 20190508 055630868
IMG 20190507 175737424
IMG 20190508 055617440
IMG 20190508 055940182
IMG 20190508 055921490
IMG 20190508 060004817
IMG 20190508 055850842

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Day 28 - 5th Week of Flowering
73-84f Leaf Surface Temp
60-65% RH
4" Light Height
12/12

Been busy since my last update getting my fugly diy ebb and flow system together and some other stuff.

Transplanted 2/4 of the MXP clones to 5 gallon buckets. I chose two clones of two of the phenos for a 4 bucket scrog once these are done. Going to keep the other 4 phenos as mothers and if the two pheno I chose are possible mothers I'll go on a murdering spree lol. I chose the most vigorous of the clones that had already reached a foot. I'll veg everything under a300w MH while I get my closet converted to a veg room.

Otherwise the ones in the tent are just fine. One pheno is much slower to flower but I believe it was because of a two week veg. Still getting yellow leaves on the very bottom on some peculiar short branches that never flowered and kind of died on another pheno. Got the new nutrients and some enzymes+ microbes with nitrogen and phosphorus fixing.

I think I'll get an electric hoist in the tent for the light that I can control from my phone...

View attachment 869404View attachment 869405View attachment 869406View attachment 869407View attachment 869408View attachment 869410View attachment 869411
That seems like a pretty big operation...how big is it? Things look good!

Funk junky

Funk junky

with sativas they grow better with time, indica deteriorates a little bit after a certain amount of curing, sativas mature like a fine wine getting better and and better the longer the cure I find

damien50

damien50

with sativas they grow better with time, indica deteriorates a little bit after a certain amount of curing, sativas mature like a fine wine getting better and and better the longer the cure I find

And indica is all there is in my city. I've gotten to the point that I don't smoke other people's bud unless I know they grew it. I haven't had a 'sativa' that I've liked, just stuff my friends buy from Colorado from breeders I can't even find seeds for and say are sativa. I'm excited just to sample this let alone after drying on the vine for a few weeks. I always heard bud gets as good as it will after six months, you saying sativas keep going? I hope you are lol

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
And indica is all there is in my city. I've gotten to the point that I don't smoke other people's bud unless I know they grew it. I haven't had a 'sativa' that I've liked, just stuff my friends buy from Colorado from breeders I can't even find seeds for and say are sativa. I'm excited just to sample this let alone after drying on the vine for a few weeks. I always heard bud gets as good as it will after six months, you saying sativas keep going? I hope you are lol
Sativa's like to go longer, but 6 months is about as long as I have had them going to full finish. Indica's will finish before 6 months, usually in about 5 for me. Sativa seems to keep going, and going, and going. At the end, they finish differently than Indica's, which seem to finish suddenly when they are done, while Sativa's seem to slow down before they quit flowering, and start dropping leaves. The leaves that remain might start changing colors, such as purples and reds, but they don't usually get a frosting of the white "snow" that the newer Indica's produce.
Regarding my question on how big of a grow you had, the tent looked larger than most with a lot of LED lights...it looks good. Much different than my setup, but I'm old school and using the same process I have used for 30+ yrs with MH/HPS. FWIW, my biggest improvement was adding a HPS bulb to my MH bulb... it added a lot of weight and flavor to earlier crops with just MH for lights during flowering. Are you located in the USA or elsewhere?

damien50

damien50

Sativa's like to go longer, but 6 months is about as long as I have had them going to full finish. Indica's will finish before 6 months, usually in about 5 for me. Sativa seems to keep going, and going, and going. At the end, they finish differently than Indica's, which seem to finish suddenly when they are done, while Sativa's seem to slow down before they quit flowering, and start dropping leaves. The leaves that remain might start changing colors, such as purples and reds, but they don't usually get a frosting of the white "snow" that the newer Indica's produce.
Regarding my question on how big of a grow you had, the tent looked larger than most with a lot of LED lights...it looks good. Much different than my setup, but I'm old school and using the same process I have used for 30+ yrs with MH/HPS. FWIW, my biggest improvement was adding a HPS bulb to my MH bulb... it added a lot of weight and flavor to earlier crops with just MH for lights during flowering. Are you located in the USA or elsewhere?

The flowering ones are in a 4x4 tent with the clones in a 6x5 closet. I'm in the Midwest. I spaced my LED with 12 strips to fit a 44x44" space so when the exhaust fan runs it pulls the tent walls and the buds directly under the lights.

I was wondering how mine might finish but all the pics I've seen just either have no leaves, regular green, or like they need N lol. I might add in some UVB light but I'm not entirely learned on that or the Emerson effect.

damien50

damien50

Day 29 - 5th Week of Flowering
73-84f Leaf Surface Temp
60-65% RH
4" Light Height
12/12

Getting some frost! Still have mothers to transplant though

IMG 20190509 053737373