Damien's Photo Grow: Malawi X Panama Edition

• Thread starter damien50
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
WhtChocolate

WhtChocolate

Great read @damien50 And great info shared @Buzzer777 & @Jimster
Kudos on grow.
Have a feeling you’re going to be vegging in that closet a long time if waiting for stativa to finish.
In for the ride on this one!

damien50

damien50

Great read @damien50 And great info shared @Buzzer777 & @Jimster
Kudos on grow.
Have a feeling you’re going to be vegging in that closet a long time if waiting for stativa to finish.
In for the ride on this one!

I changed the light schedule to 11/13 which should speed up flowering a bit but I don't mind the 6-8 week veg. I'm going to throw them in the flower tent and do bad things to them. Six weeks left though I wasn't able to get Dubi over as Ace Seeds to confirm the time yet.

Thanks for joining though, didn't think anyone was going to be interested then my phone starts blowing up with likes. People actually read my gibberish lol

@Jimster and @Buzzer777 are comrades in this grow that brought some dope information on sativas to one single thread

damien50

damien50

So unfortunately I should probably but a ppfd meter or lux because apparently smart phones are limited by their hardware. On a calculated estimation between meanwell data sheets and bridgelux my watts, due to the A type drivers allowing more voltage, my true wattage is around 502 and my lumens are estimated around 87000. I won't be posting light readings.

Funk junky

Funk junky

Everything in perspective if you have time do do it properly.
But it all depends on work load for amount, And amount you’re gonna be consuming your self and the people you want to have an absolute premium product.
Due to a security issue I now have to leave enough room in there to work zipped up inside.
Beef with neighbour means I have to dry in the grow tent, I used to manicure properly but these days I pluck most of the leaves and then give light manicure and stick in jars. I only do it like this because of neighbour, it gets pretty boring sitting in the tent trimming but better than getting another call from landlord.
It’s pretty crazy cause can get away with growing like this but if the gear is too smelly I have to go over road to my decent neighbour and smoke it there as he complains about smell lol

damien50

damien50

Day 35 - 6th Week of Flowering

Coco coir - 780ppm/5.7 ph

Jack's FeED 5-12-26/Growpito enzymes and microbes

73-84f Leaf Surface Temp

60-65% RH

32762~lux/720~ PPFD 3000k Average

4" Light Height

11/13

And here we go!

#1 and #3 are starting to bud up real fine. The mothers are doing beautifully and those clones are still adjusting and probably developing root mass for the prosperity of my future jungle.

I've sampled #2 and #4. I regret nothing. Sampling the twins and #5 tonight. Nothing but energy, happy vibes, and goodness

The EB2's are killing it and at 502 watts I'll be stealing my wife's 555 watt lights in the future for the sake of growing perpetual bud that she smokes. It's a kindness.

Let's get to the pictures and thank you kindly to those following this grow.

IMG 20190518 223116819
IMG 20190518 223050293
IMG 20190518 222957989
IMG 20190518 222725696
IMG 20190518 222458022
IMG 20190518 222055489

Funk junky

Funk junky

Have you ever took cuttings and noticed the change in a more mature plant? I would think about keeping three expressions and whitle down from there. What doesn’t seem viable first run can change with sativa.what I said about curing with time applied here. Sativa is best if you have patience improves like fine wine improving in time.
A personal observation of mine is the more adaptable to the tropics they are the longer the seed plant needs to become established, basically some sativa can grow 30 feet some ten foot, a metre plant sometimes has not got out of adolescence depending on the subject.
This offering from ace has been worked for quite a few years believe, I’ve noticed over the years that new offerings have been more palatable for an indoor grower.
All the while not compromising there morals, a more spread the love kinda vibe! Blood sweat and tears, see I kind of trust them.
My initial instinct was they bred indica into and out of it just for practical traits.
But I believe now that selective breeding was achieved. And I believe that there are still some people that want to share what at onetime was not complicated by what was viable indoor.
I would would like to grow the kali China, hybrid I know but has the old kali mist that disappeared, somewhere in the noughties.
Definitely a line that should not die one of the lines that gives haze a run for its money and far enough genetically removed to make things interesting. F1 hybrid potential for two alleles as the new offering did not impress the kali mist faithful.
It lacked the same essence with longer flowering time. Would have to think Simon lost his seed mother and decided to recreate with a crossing that allowed for reminiscents of doner. I believe it lacked the medical properties of the legend.
Which is why it’s no mean feat keeping the genetic library intact.
I’m happy that we are getting more American genetics just in hope that what they called the building blocks skunk, northern lights , haze can hopefully get blood from unrelated genetics.
The only way to keep corporate interest away is to embrace diversity and different expressions.
Create new lines that are bred for a certain expression then defined as different from an offering several generations removed.
Anyway apparently women loved tha old kali great for menstrual cramps they say. Ps . I am aware the skunk haze and nl are from America they just seem to be over used where we are.
Doing a great job though with those girls keep up good work

damien50

damien50

Have you ever took cuttings and noticed the change in a more mature plant? I would think about keeping three expressions and whitle down from there. What doesn’t seem viable first run can change with sativa.what I said about curing with time applied here. Sativa is best if you have patience improves like fine wine improving in time.
A personal observation of mine is the more adaptable to the tropics they are the longer the seed plant needs to become established, basically some sativa can grow 30 feet some ten foot, a metre plant sometimes has not got out of adolescence depending on the subject.
This offering from ace has been worked for quite a few years believe, I’ve noticed over the years that new offerings have been more palatable for an indoor grower.
All the while not compromising there morals, a more spread the love kinda vibe! Blood sweat and tears, see I kind of trust them.
My initial instinct was they bred indica into and out of it just for practical traits.
But I believe now that selective breeding was achieved. And I believe that there are still some people that want to share what at onetime was not complicated by what was viable indoor.
I would would like to grow the kali China, hybrid I know but has the old kali mist that disappeared, somewhere in the noughties.
Definitely a line that should not die one of the lines that gives haze a run for its money and far enough genetically removed to make things interesting. F1 hybrid potential for two alleles as the new offering did not impress the kali mist faithful.
It lacked the same essence with longer flowering time. Would have to think Simon lost his seed mother and decided to recreate with a crossing that allowed for reminiscents of doner. I believe it lacked the medical properties of the legend.
Which is why it’s no mean feat keeping the genetic library intact.
I’m happy that we are getting more American genetics just in hope that what they called the building blocks skunk, northern lights , haze can hopefully get blood from unrelated genetics.
The only way to keep corporate interest away is to embrace diversity and different expressions.
Create new lines that are bred for a certain expression then defined as different from an offering several generations removed.
Anyway apparently women loved tha old kali great for menstrual cramps they say. Ps . I am aware the skunk haze and nl are from America they just seem to be over used where we are.
Doing a great job though with those girls keep up good work

I ended up with 6 mothers thankfully so I'll be patient lol. We just ran out and needed a mood booster for the weekend. Observing this plant I've noticed some things

Not all phenos express red stemmed fan leaves
Not all fan leaves reach 11 fingers but between 5-11
Some express red striping when they are cropped
They shed leaves after the stretch for some reason
They shed weak and unviable branches that don't receive enough light
They have 3-5 days to recover from cropping
They do not like EC above .85 they start to burn a bit
They don't like 12/12 and I think it's because of the DLI from the LEDS. 11/13 or 10.5/13.5
They like 80-84f leaf surface temps
The leaves don't pray towards my lights
They don't mind cloning
Handle stress well - the stress I give them at least

I think Ace is doing it right with the IBLs and the access to Dubi and the staff is great. I think this is going to be some high quality boutique smoke. I don't regret this being my first sativa and I've enjoyed the process so far a lot more than any other grow I've done.

Looking at the industry now, it's too many hands in the punch that have never grown or smoked and only want money with others that have done these things and just want money. They'll chop early, give it a 'cure and sell it. I've never bred but the industry needs to get back to the basics that growers like Sannie/Ace/and some others honed and understand. Reading about the history of cannabis in America has been a cluster too much profit orientation and not enough care for quality and genetics.

Even growers now have ADHD for strains and don't take the time to understand these strains chasing thc levels and yield. I never really understood how underused and understood microbes are. I've have to go back to 2008 to get more solid advice than what is present in 2019. As a young grower I feel spoiled, indebted, and obligated to not just get high but really understand what my plants are doing and how to best do it and help others do it.

I wish I was a better grower to write guides for growing especially with sativas. Limiting myself current genetics and avoiding landrace is something I'm glad I didn't do and has connected me to a lot of veteran growers that tamed these plants and figured out things that aren't present with the influence of indicas right now. But I think it was DJ Short that talked about breeding for really specific expressions and never went for THC. I don't think blueberry is a very high THC strain but it is still loved today. It wasn't until the Jungle Boys and going back two decades that I was able to verify the idea of letting them dry on the vine and meeting one of Sannie' s friends and reading his plant descriptions I found suggestions for this method.

I think going back to the landrace and really implementing modern breeding practices for specific expressions and preserving those genetics would be something special. The kush, diesel, northern lights, etc are great American strains but incorporating these older sativas back in would be nice. But I think money, discretion, and time were factors in the rise of indica strains that could be sogged with shorter flowering times opposed to sativas that could take 12-16 weeks or never stop flowering.

damien50

damien50

Day 37 - 6th Week of Flowering

Coco coir - 880ppm/5.9 ph

73-84f Leaf Surface Temp

60-65% RH

4" Light Height

11/13

One of two or three or all three or none made the next pictures happen.

1. I replaced my air stones
  2. I added enzymes and beneficials
  3. I changed to 11/13 almost a week ago
Thanks for looking!

IMG 20190520 193058150
IMG 20190520 193034833
IMG 20190520 193008737
IMG 20190520 192931005
IMG 20190520 192920857
IMG 20190520 192902765
IMG 20190520 192839960
IMG 20190520 192829058
IMG 20190520 192736367
IMG 20190520 192703307
IMG 20190520 192639160
IMG 20190520 192611096

damien50

damien50

Day 39 - 6th Week of Flowering

Coco coir - 880ppm/5.9 ph

73-84f Leaf Surface Temp

60-65% RH

4" Light Height

I did something dirty to the girls
IMG 20190521 195238885

Better or worse?

IMG 20190521 195632590
IMG 20190521 195609140
IMG 20190521 195556362
IMG 20190521 195501613
IMG 20190521 195437377
IMG 20190521 195429443
IMG 20190521 195419772
IMG 20190521 195403219
IMG 20190521 195319328

I think the canopy was a bit too thick and I wanted to avoid excessively stripping since it is shedding leaves every week. Still around 50 days left but I think around day 56-63 I'll change the lights to 10.5/13.5 until harvest. Im thinking I'll lower the feed around 50-66% around day 56 and last week that I decide to harvest I presume that I'll stop watering and let them sit them in darkness for two weeks.

That's the plan, maybe, Idk.

damien50

damien50

@Buzzer777 @Jimster

Just wanting to make sure that these sativas shedding fan leaves and non viable colas is normal. Upper leaves are a nice dark green but the yellowing is still going up. Never seen this before but I'm not willing to add N unless it's a problem.

@Buzzer777 when did you end up with no leaves on your Malawi x Panama?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
@Buzzer777 @Jimster

Just wanting to make sure that these sativas shedding fan leaves and non viable colas is normal. Upper leaves are a nice dark green but the yellowing is still going up. Never seen this before but I'm not willing to add N unless it's a problem.

@Buzzer777 when did you end up with no leaves on your Malawi x Panama?
The shedding of fan leaves is fairly common in Sativa's, especially later in flowering. You might want to give a small snack if not too close to harvest, which won't reverse the yellowed leaves but will slow it down. Any leaves that don't get good lighting don't grow too much, as most of a plant's energy comes from the very local area. In other words, the more light, the bigger they grow and areas of less light don't take energy or resources from the plant, usually it will donate it's remaining stores to the common good. With that being said, YES, it is normal to lose a lot of leaves especially if you have a thick canopy. Sativa's grow tall and a lot of their yield comes from side branching... something it can't really do if forced to stay short. This creates a fairly heavy canopy, something it doesn't normally have and a lot of leaves compete for light.
On a side note... what do you mean by shedding non viable colas? Leaves drop off normally, but colas shouldn't. All in all, things look good. I notice a small amount of leaf tip dryness, but it doesn't look like anything that is causing problems and is something I would attribute to lower humidity levels. I wouldn't worry if it was myself.
I was comparing my Malawi strain's leaves and they don't appear as thin as yours. I will need to check again, and it could be due to the difference in process, but they deff look thinner than the one's of mine. The other problem I created for myself was waiting a week too long before flipping to 12/12. Sativa's don't stop growing taller when they are flowering, resulting in long buds and tall plants. Tall enough to start to grow above the level of the light. I use a MH/HPS bulb mounted vertical, so a lot of side light is provided and the plants can actually grow downward somewhat, with the fan leaves clawing to catch the light coming up from below. This is why I shouldn't try to combine a Indica and a Sativa strain together... keeping their height's about the same is a full time job.
All in all, your grow is looking great. Keep up the good job!

Funk junky

Funk junky

I wouldn’t add n . Personally I would give a quick flush to remove excess salts then try to lower the n if possible and up potassium, I would say those Burt tips is not nute burn but start of a potassium deficiency.
I also find since I started using leds I have to use calcium more or less throughout the grow.
When growing tropical sativas most breeders will tell you too be easy on the nutrients especially nitrogen.
I grow in soil though so not sure about coco? I believe most of the companies sell an a and b solution?
I’m sure ace seeds would be able to help if you if you e-mail them.
If it was me I would treat your thread as a third party for legal reasons and see if they can take a look at the thread?
Just an idea would like see if anyone else thinks I’m right with the nutrients?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Day 39 - 6th Week of Flowering
Still around 50 days left but I think around day 56-63 I'll change the lights to 10.5/13.5 until harvest. Im thinking I'll lower the feed around 50-66% around day 56 and last week that I decide to harvest I presume that I'll stop watering and let them sit them in darkness for two weeks.

That's the plan, maybe, Idk.
Other than the thick canopy, I think things are looking great. I would thin the canopy down a little in strategic spots to get the light down into the midst of everything as much as you can. I usually prefer to use less nutrients than most, but if you are seeing a LOT of yellowing, then you might want to add a small dose. I'm not sure why you would want to turn the lights off for 2 weeks before harvest or stop watering?

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

Buzz and Jim are cool cats. Filled with knowledge too. Good comrades to have aboard.
Hi I am newbie here ...need those lots of knowledge people , I have 2 x 4 grow tent with an 6” exhaust fan going to a carbon filter in the same room, 2 300w leds and 3 plants, my temps get to 88 when I close it up for lights out 12 /12 for flowering , what can I do, I don’t worry about a smell problem or any noise, just learning to navigate this thc farmer forum , my 7 week grow
899132A4 2C82 4042 BB91 2FCDA7D1572C
4CD4D78A FBE4 4C9F B6A4 DEB86719ED74

19269377 F7D5 4F81 BBC2 4F0BD8902E61
damien50

damien50

Other than the thick canopy, I think things are looking great. I would thin the canopy down a little in strategic spots to get the light down into the midst of everything as much as you can. I usually prefer to use less nutrients than most, but if you are seeing a LOT of yellowing, then you might want to add a small dose. I'm not sure why you would want to turn the lights off for 2 weeks before harvest or stop watering?

I meant two days lol. My feeble attempts at research led me DJM on ICMAG that suggested for a great fade to reduce the feed strength by 50% for three weeks then plain water to nothing for the last3 days.

I pruned the canopy a few days ago so all my bud sites were exposed. The yellowing quickened this week but I increased the feed to 1050 ppm. I'll check tonight.

Thanks Jim

damien50

damien50

Hi I am newbie here ...need those lots of knowledge people , I have 2 x 4 grow tent with an 6” exhaust fan going to a carbon filter in the same room, 2 300w leds and 3 plants, my temps get to 88 when I close it up for lights out 12 /12 for flowering , what can I do, I don’t worry about a smell problem or any noise, just learning to navigate this thc farmer forum , my 7 week growView attachment 871803View attachment 871805

Temp is a bit high. I like to stay between 80-85f because my leaf surface temperature stays at 77-80f.

How is your air circulation and exchange? Do you have AC?

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

Temp is a bit high. I like to stay between 80-85f because my leaf surface temperature stays at 77-80f.

How is your air circulation and exchange? Do you have AC?
I have ac but I have my tent in a bedroom and I can attach ac from ac floor vent to tent but then I am washing all humidity and any Co2 that might have been there.its a battle , and when I have to seal for 12 lights off flowering it really gets hard to contain for leaks...I am going to autoflower next time, less yield but easier to do..thx for helping

damien50

damien50

I have ac but I have my tent in a bedroom and I can attach ac from ac floor vent to tent but then I am washing all humidity and any Co2 that might have been there.its a battle , and when I have to seal for 12 lights off flowering it really gets hard to contain for leaks...I am going to autoflower next time, less yield but easier to do..thx for helping

The autoflower will cause more problems if your environment isn't dialed in because you won't have much time to fix problems especially once flowering begins. Autoflower don't necessarily produce less yield but they don't have the ability to veg for weeks on end because of grower mistakes. I've pulled 30oz off two plants under a 600w northern lights auto

The average home contains 400ppms of C02. I think your entire problem in the setup of your environment.

The way I run my tent is in an upstairs bedroom.

I have a 20" box fan mounted to the ceiling in the tent that cools my lights and circulates air really well.

I have a 300cfm exhaust fan with a carbon filter at the bottom.

An intake line near my AC that pulls cold air into the tent

I have a heater and a humidifier connected to controllers for 72-84f temps and 60-65% RH for flowering but 70-80% during veg.

What is your RH usually at? Are you already flowering? Nutrients, grow medium? What strain? How long have you vegged?

damien50

damien50

I wouldn’t add n . Personally I would give a quick flush to remove excess salts then try to lower the n if possible and up potassium, I would say those Burt tips is not nute burn but start of a potassium deficiency.
I also find since I started using leds I have to use calcium more or less throughout the grow.
When growing tropical sativas most breeders will tell you too be easy on the nutrients especially nitrogen.
I grow in soil though so not sure about coco? I believe most of the companies sell an a and b solution?
I’m sure ace seeds would be able to help if you if you e-mail them.
If it was me I would treat your thread as a third party for legal reasons and see if they can take a look at the thread?
Just an idea would like see if anyone else thinks I’m right with the nutrients?
Thanks. I contacted them

Top Bottom