Day 7 and First Time Grow question

• Thread starter Cannaleaf9
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Here is a link to the light I have...

The manufacturer uses PPFD as a measurement. So when I set up the light, I put it at 18 inches above with an intensity of 25-30%. This gives me approx. 250 umol.

Using this link, https://www.waveformlighting.com/horticulture/convert-lux-to-ppfd-online-calculator, which factors in lux and the type of light i'm using, I get about 250 umol when I put in 10,000 lux for a calculation.

So, 10k to 15k lux with a full spectrum LED light gets me 250 to 385 umol.

I'm getting average 300 umol or 12k lux with the light set up I have now. (18" distance)
Should be good then.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Quick update: Soil ph is sitting at 7 so this looks like it could be an iron deficiency. New leaves are turning yellow and iron uptake is minimal at 7 ph. I'll ph adjust next water to 6.0 with a cal-mag supplement which has some iron and see what happens
your soil has some added stuff to make the pH 6.3 to 6.8 pretty much no matter what you do. most anything you use to fight what they used has a potential for disaster.

just google ffof buffered.

when you google about the ph in the ffof soil you might notice the number of threads with these same symptoms your suffering

the consensus seems to be that ffof might be a bit hot for some young plants of some strains. yes, you will see the back and forth "works on mine" "burns mine", but i tend to go for patterns, and it appears strain related to me. but who knows, it happens often enough with these same symptoms to point me toward this not lights.

lol, if you look at my posts, im all about saying its the light... just not this time. sorry, because the people saying light are much better and much more experienced than i am, even i would always advise listening to Aqua Man and the rest over me... BUT...

see the general "splotchy" appearance? that is what "too hot" soil does, when it is hot, the light does help make it lighter, but it is the soil letting the light burn her. only fix would be to up pot and shake some of that off and use a milder dirt for her till she is a bit older. if you leave her, she will eventually get over it, but she will have issues and sensitivities throughout life.

but, just my opinion, again, i would listen to Aqua Man not me

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

your soil has some added stuff to make the pH 6.3 to 6.8 pretty much no matter what you do. most anything you use to fight what they used has a potential for disaster.

when you google about the ph in the ffof soil you might notice the number of threads with these same symptoms your suffering

the consensus seems to be that ffof might be a bit hot for some young plants of some strains. yes, you will see the back and forth "works on mine" "burns mine", but i tend to go for patterns, and it appears strain related to me. but who knows, it happens often enough with these same symptoms to point me toward this not lights.

lol, if you look at my posts, im all about saying its the light... just not this time. sorry, because the people saying light are much better and much more experienced than i am, even i would always advise listening to Aqua Man and the rest over me... BUT...

see the general "splotchy" appearance? that is what "too hot" soil does, when it is hot, the light does help make it lighter, but it is the soil letting the light burn her. only fix would be to up pot and shake some of that off and use a milder dirt for her till she is a bit older. if you leave her, she will eventually get over it, but she will have issues and sensitivities throughout life.

Your not wrong... lights always the first thing I look at when I see light green. Just such a common issue but i agree not this time.

growsince79

growsince79

Quick update: Soil ph is sitting at 7 so this looks like it could be an iron deficiency. New leaves are turning yellow and iron uptake is minimal at 7 ph. I'll ph adjust next water to 6.0 with a cal-mag supplement which has some iron and see what happens
DONT DO IT. Plain water is all you need. Are you watering daily? If so STOP. Let the soil dry almost completely before watering again. If the cup weighs 240g saturated, don't water again until it weighs about 150g.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

DONT DO IT. Plain water is all you need. Are you watering daily? If so STOP. Let the soil dry almost completely before watering again. If the cup weighs 240g saturated, don't water again until it weighs about 150g.
This.

Cannaleaf9

Cannaleaf9

This is great information just as is with everybody who has helped with this thread so thank you for taking the time to respond! I did read up on this soil, both Ocean Farm and Happy Fog, and decided to use both during germination. I planted 7 seeds. The first two with an even mix of HP and OF, seed 3 and 4 with 70/30 HF to OF and then tapered off for seeds 5,6, and 7 not having any OF at all and just HF. Here are pictures on day 8 from seed 1 to 7, left to right. Seeds 4-7 all sprouted a day or two later.

IMG 7093
IMG 7094
IMG 7095
IMG 7096
IMG 7097
IMG 7098
IMG 7099

I also gave a small amount of recharge and silica to seeds 1-6 only (not 7) and maybe that contributed? 7 does look like it is the least affected but still a couple days younger.

Cannaleaf9

Cannaleaf9

I waited for the cup to completely dry. It's been 4 days since watering. Light green area is shading to dark green a few hours after water. The water was Ph'd at 6.8 and the run off was 6.0. I'm thinking low soil ph was the culprit?

IMG 7104

BirdLaw86

BirdLaw86

I waited for the cup to completely dry. It's been 4 days since watering. Light green area is shading to dark green a few hours after water. The water was Ph'd at 6.8 and the run off was 6.0. I'm thinking low soil ph was the culprit?

View attachment 1148939
Update? Howd the discoloration turn out? What adjustments did ya make?

Top Bottom