day to in EZ Clone 120-stems shrinking & turning brown

• Thread starter Critical Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Critical Kid

I am using a EZ clone 120 for the first time. Today is day two and I just noticed that some of the stems (below the collars) are turning brown and shrinking. I have no idea what the problem is. My specs. are as follows:
P.H. 5.8
room temp 18-24 C
water temp 24 C

Cuttings were taken with clean razor, dipped in ROOTS cloning gel and placed into the EZ. I used RO water purchased from grocery store, PH'ed, and put DNF Root Promoter in the rez. I also put in the contents of a blue capsule from grow store that is supposed to be an anti microbial/fungal agent.

Any advice is much appreciated!!!!!

D

dond3030

Bring ur water temp down to 70. The brown stems are cooked from the warm water. You can recut the brown off and put em back in. I add a tray of ice once a day to mine and it's works lovely

audius

audius

i have only used an easy cloner 1 time & i made mine, fucking love it to. all my clones had came threw. ok, i was told to use tap water ,no phed. & powerclone thats it.temps also MUST stay around 72 t to 75 f. i had no dropping at all but just a touch of brown stuff. took 7 days till i started to see roots. personally i wouldnt use any root enhancements yet till i see roots. hope this helps

H

haole

Humidity in the room? Type of light?

Several things can encourage that problem. Usually high temps but 24 sounds about right.

Sounds like you may have to dump this run....

next time I would brew some EWC tea like this... I always use this and even with high (78-80F) or fluctuating temps, get success.

I hate using razors personally, I use scissors, get 100% success. Cut through a node at a 45 degree angle, make sure you make the cut under water. (hard to do that with a razor IMO)

I've had some bad luck with rooting gels and the cloner, switched to dip and grow and dont seem to have problems, so I use that. After I make the cut I let it rest in the dip an grow for 30 seconds-1 minute. You can even make the cut submerged in dipand grow if you want since it is a liquid concentrate you mix with water. Anyway the one you if hormone and not root promoter for established roots, may be fine.

Brew tea, take one cup earthworm castings, 15ml of unsulphured blackstrap molasses to 5 gallons of RO water, let bubble with air stones for at least 24 hours, with a minimum temp around 70 F.

Strain through a panty hose or wire mesh coffee filter, Add 250mL of this tea for each 4-5 gallons of water in your cloner reservoir...

Hard to get the brown stemrot die off with EWC tea in my experience (can happen with too high of res. temps though).

M

Mystre.Pharmer

try Hygrozyme at 6-8 ml/ gallon

I've put Hygrozyme in my homemade cloners with horrible results. every time i did (3 times i've added it in my life time and i never will again) my plants got the slim/snot build up! yikes. the only thing i could blame it on was me adding hygrozyme. (temps, ph, everything was in good range)

personally the only think I'd give the little ones is a small dose of H2O2. H2O2 and nutrients is the only think i'll ever put in my cloners rez. (nutes after they show nibbs and root not before that)

i just wanted to drop my thoughts on hygrozyme in cloners (my opinion is don't do it) don't get me wroung, i love hygrozyme i used it on my well established plants and they love it :)

good luck!

Mystre.Pharmer

M

Mystre.Pharmer

I hate using razors personally, I use scissors, get 100% success. Cut through a node at a 45 degree angle, make sure you make the cut under water. (hard to do that with a razor IMO)

are you a florist? :) only people i ever hear talk about cutting plants/stems under water is them hehe :) it prevents air embolisms! do you bring you mum to the sink and use running water? how do you go about it? im curious now :) great tip but when i clone i cut like 250 clones (so i can choose the best, and compost the rest) i couldn't imagine trying to dunk every cut ;) i too use scissors and prefer it to razors.

oh yea last post i said H2o2 and nutes was all that touches my clone rez water... I dip in Clonex as well. just thought i add that in case anyone is paying attention ;)

Mystre.Pharmer

Aligee

Aligee

well i hope you have better success !!! I use RO H2O, Roots Excell,use a temp probe to read temps i use 1 liter water bottles to keep temps in the 65-75 degree range , make sure you have a drain outlet easy to install w/ a 1/2" grommet makes changing out water a breeze im getting 110% strike rate i got roots on cuts that were off a 6-7 week flowering plant success!!! good luck bro !!!

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I Use PBP Grow at about 250 ppms and a couple drops of Superthrive. Thats it. Works like a champ. Roots in about 5 days.

C

Critical Kid

It has now been 19 days. I have lost about 20 (out of 120) due to damping off. I am hoping this is just due to me not keeping the water temps in the propper range for the first few days. Now I add a frozen 2 litre water bottle twice a day to keep the temp. around 70F. (Thanks to Aligee for that tip). All the remaining cuttings have had root nibs for about a week now, but none have started to break out into actual roots, does anyone know how long this usually takes? Is 3+ weeks normal for an EZ cloner??

C

Critical Kid

....also I have noticed the water getting a little murky, the P.H. is still stable at 6, but I have noticed a white film forming on the bottom of the rez and on the pump power cord, is this normal? I was thinking about adding some H2O2, anyone know what the best dilution rate is?

J

joerose

I use Aquashield, a small amount of rooting solution, a few drops of Superthrive and typically in 7 days beards start to grow. Same experience with Hygrozime as Mystre above. I will not use it with cloning anymore. Trying to keep it simple....

E

EZnot

TurboKloner finally did the trick

After killing over 320 clones in rockwool with overwatering, underwatering, high heat, low heat, and white mold, I bought the TurboKloner 48.
Partner cuts the clones and puts stems in a large bowl of water. I take one, trim off the big old leaves, fan cut the smaller leaves, hold it under water in a shallow bowl, scrape the stem just a little and lightly, make another cut at end at 45 degree angle, dip in cloning solution in a shotglass, put it in it's collar with at least 1 inch left below the collar and it goes in the machine, which is not turned on yet.
Reservoir has tap water (we have well water, not city) that is 5.9 pH, and 2 mil. of GH Cloning liquid per gallon of water. Put on dome for 1st 3 days and keep water temp at 76 degrees.
I actually got big long white roots on every single one after 5 days and put them in the aeroponic system baskets on the 7th day. They are doing great and I'm so happy. Finally!

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

After killing over 320 clones in rockwool with overwatering, underwatering, high heat, low heat, and white mold, I bought the TurboKloner 48.
Partner cuts the clones and puts stems in a large bowl of water. I take one, trim off the big old leaves, fan cut the smaller leaves, hold it under water in a shallow bowl, scrape the stem just a little and lightly, make another cut at end at 45 degree angle, dip in cloning solution in a shotglass, put it in it's collar with at least 1 inch left below the collar and it goes in the machine, which is not turned on yet.
Reservoir has tap water (we have well water, not city) that is 5.9 pH, and 2 mil. of GH Cloning liquid per gallon of water. Put on dome for 1st 3 days and keep water temp at 76 degrees.
I actually got big long white roots on every single one after 5 days and put them in the aeroponic system baskets on the 7th day. They are doing great and I'm so happy. Finally!

Glad to hear you are getting nice turn outs. I like to know how strong is your ppms? Also do you use a water chiller or heater for it? any off on cycle timers for water pumps or fans and if so what timeing. Air temps out side of the lid.

As for your EZ problem. Personally went threw 4 rounds of failing the ez120 before i gave up. I read an artical that the president of ezclone. He recommends ppms under 90ppm Personly i say 80-97ppm does the trick for my EZclone30. What do i feed it? 5G distilled water. 4 drops of super tribe,3ml of ez-clone food, 1ml hygrozym.
Got air pump on 15 min on 15 min off to give the thing a break. The guy from EZ clone article was talking about RH%. If your under 75% you got to fix it. Ideal my eyes saw 80% if my memory is working. Personally I went out to big lots or wallmart to find a clear tube that fits the ez clone to make it as humidity dome.If you tryed to bring the air RH% up like how i did one. You will blow threw many lamps. I say BS to any one that says the water comes thew the plugs.

As for Hygrozym. Do any of you know what its for? Well its for breaking down old roots. Unless your reusing medium, no use yet. What are we doing when we are cloneing? We are making new roots! why would we want to try to break down the new roots? I use a small amount because i do reuse medium and my ezplugs have left over roots that grew threw out it. No need to replace the plug till its vary bad or clone is slipping down.

Hope this helps for the Ez120. I stand next to the 30 for the amount of sprayers per site counts.

C

Critical Kid

Happy to report all my stems of broken out with nice fresh white roots...hopefully they will be ready for transplant in the near future!

E

EZnot

TurboKloner stats

Air temp in room is always about 70 degrees and humidity between 40 & 60 percent. Kloner is in the mother room - always have a fan going and CO2 on a timer that goes off for a few minutes every hour.
Water in the TurboKloner stays at about 76 to 78 degrees as there is a fan attached - run the fan 24/7. Without the fan, the water temp wants to go up to 80 or 84 degrees. Leave the Kloner running 24/7. Water ppm is about 95. PH is always 5.9. Machine sits under 4 40 watt fluorescents about 12" away.
Since this is my first success in cloning - I made notes about every little thing I did and replicated it. New batch is moving right along.

C

Critical Kid

Water in the TurboKloner stays at about 76 to 78 degrees as there is a fan attached - run the fan 24/7. Without the fan, the water temp wants to go up to 80 or 84 degrees.

Makers of the EZclone recomend keeping the water temp down between 68-72 F. I think my problems started when the temp rose to around 78-80, I'm suprised you had such good success while running at those temps.

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

Was wonder how the fan roll helped. I use to stand behind ezclone a ton. my room temp is 74F and under my dome from walmart is 85F. Not sure what the roots are but i try not to worry. Res heater i saw is useful if the temp under the dome is under 70F. Seeing ads is nothing compare to some one that uses it in the fields. I use to hang my t5 around 5" on the ez30. the 120 much higher because of all the heat.

Top Bottom