DD's bucket system - Start to Finish

• Thread starter Boots Sugarleaf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Boots Sugarleaf

so, here is a pic of my net pot, bucket and tub....I want input on if I should use the netpot at all or the bucket or what? I saw a thread where someone cut their bucket down and used a netpot I think but can't find it now

I'm not cutting any hole till I get some advice just to be safe

bucket_netpot_tub.jpg

B

Boots Sugarleaf

oh, I just found that thread, it's yours, Lost!

so you're happy with how the cut bucket and net pot work together?

E

easypleasie

Hey Boots, how's your veg setup gonna be? I use 10" netpots that i'll be able to take out of veg and drop right into my mini-res's in flower. You can reduce the amount of work during transition if you veg in the same netpot/bucket as you flower. It looks like dds only started using the netpots recently. They were just buckets before. And i'm not sure of the importance of the size of the netpot/top bucket. I'm just trying to keep it as close as possible to dds' system.

L

Lost

I would cut the bucket up higher Than I did inmy pics. This is after learning, and experiencing the rope roots. Other than that, yea its working great. Use the bottom of the bucket as your template. Is smaller than the top and you can always remove a little more material if the bucker is getting squashed too much.

Love your tubs and buckets, lol :)

B

Boots Sugarleaf

Hey Boots, how's your veg setup gonna be? I use 10" netpots that i'll be able to take out of veg and drop right into my mini-res's in flower. You can reduce the amount of work during transition if you veg in the same netpot/bucket as you flower. It looks like dds only started using the netpots recently. They were just buckets before. And i'm not sure of the importance of the size of the netpot/top bucket. I'm just trying to keep it as close as possible to dds' system.

I will be vegging in whatever I plan to drop straight in, I am not a fan of transplanting, no need to. I plan to bubble them with top drip for veg

I would cut the bucket up higher Than I did inmy pics. This is after learning, and experiencing the rope roots. Other than that, yea its working great. Use the bottom of the bucket as your template. Is smaller than the top and you can always remove a little more material if the bucker is getting squashed too much.

Love your tubs and buckets, lol

Yeah, I have decided to use the netpot and bucket and will cut it up higher than you did also....and yeah, looks like we both hit the same stores! The tubs are great, I am gonna make ezcloners with them too, for $12 u can't beat it

BTW, you really think the lids shouldn't be panda plastic'd over?

L

Lost

Panda -No need. I have been using hese tubs for awhile now and in the veg room not on the recirc (that has a UV sterilizer in the chiller), no funk growth. In fact I veged a bubba in one for 6 weeks just topping off (no checking ph, ppm or even looking in) and it worked great.

Also if you look these lids are so thick they just don't let much if any light thru.

B

Boots Sugarleaf

so, these net pots I plan to use are only 5 inches deep, my tubs are 14" tall, so that means that there will be 10 1/2 inches of water when filled, is this ok?

B

Boots Sugarleaf

maybe I misunderstand how deep in the water the baskets sit? Is it 1.5" that the baskets are in the water?

E

easypleasie

That's correct, Boots. 1.5" above the bottom of your basket. You're basket is much smaller than what dds usually uses. Not sure how that will affect things.

B

Boots Sugarleaf

Thanx Easy--I considered it is smaller, but it seems that the more room for roots in the oxygenated water in the tubs the better, that's why I have chosen the smaller ones....the system will hold more water than with deeper pots is the only difference if I am correct...

I am starting the veg for the clones tonight and want to start them in the pots I will use for the system...I am thinking I will use these pots stand alone with no bucket

but I am waiting on double d's input too---

M

mrdizzle

i wouldnt use those ones you have there, i would go with a bucket with holes or much bigger net pot. one advantange of not having so much water in your res is higher flow rates = more air.

E

easypleasie

That makes a lot of sense with the higher flow rates. Never even thought about it that way. Solution gets circulated more often when there's less of it. It's like a light just went off! lol But at the same time, you want enough solution to make it easier to keep ph stable, right? Or so you don't have to do more frequent water changes, maybe? both? lol

It seems the bigger netpots/buckets would hold the plant in place a little better. With all the bud, that's a lot of weight/pressure at the root zone. Just thinking out loud here... i'm sure dds will chime in when he gets the chance. lol he's been pretty busy answering loads of questions lately.

B

Boots Sugarleaf

Thanks Dizz and EZ

concurred then...10" net pots tomorrow I will get then...10"? Right?

E

easypleasie

Yeah, 10" deep netpots. Or a bucket will work, too. Just gotta drill holes. And if you use dds' new veg system, it simplifies things even more :)

M

mrdizzle

i actually like the bucket idea best, i feel like if something crazy ever happend it would be easy to pull the bucket out and try to finish it out in that. But this is just a vision in my head, i'm positive the 10net pots will preform great

B

Boots Sugarleaf

well shit, now maybe I'll just use buckets.....the 5 gallons are too big maybe?...cut em down or try to find 3 gallon?

L

Lost

I like the netpot lids.. I can throw it in a 5 gallon bucket if all hell breaks loose, or if for somereason i need to service the tub. Im upgrading my 8 inchers to 10 inches. I would say they fir a third more material. The 8 inch will hold up to 25 lbs no problem. I can tell you moving these beasts is a two or more person jub or forget it. There is so much rootmass, media, and tree material, you really down want to trip while moving it to its new home, lol :)

D

doubleds

I like the netpot lids.. I can throw it in a 5 gallon bucket if all hell breaks loose, or if for somereason i need to service the tub. Im upgrading my 8 inchers to 10 inches. I would say they fir a third more material. The 8 inch will hold up to 25 lbs no problem. I can tell you moving these beasts is a two or more person jub or forget it. There is so much rootmass, media, and tree material, you really down want to trip while moving it to its new home, lol :)

I think the net pots are the shit bro. It it ever comes to be that the drilled holes i the pails get clogged with roots the plant would drown. The 10 inch net pots are really strong, but our cages stabalise the weight.

dds

B

Boots Sugarleaf

thought I'd share a pic of the designated space in progress:

overview.jpg

Top Bottom