DD's bucket system - Start to Finish

• Thread starter Boots Sugarleaf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Boots Sugarleaf

I will be starting this project in the next day or so, the clones will at least be vegging for the next 2 weeks anyway, in the meantime I am setting up the space.

Ideas and suggestions are welcome from anyone currently doing this or anyone that has done it.

I am really thankful to DD for sharing his work with all of us and am sure to be more thankful in 'bout 3 months!

Below is a blank grid image of my area and am wanting input on how many plants and lights, spacing, layout, etc...The space is 11 feet x 11 feet with a tad over a 9 foot ceiling.

I would like to grow 3 or 4 in this room.

[IMG]http://i104.invalid.com/albums/m186/rabbitseffort/grid_plan.jpg[/IMG]

R

rottenjohn

here's a link to a 20X12 room, you should be able to scale it back quite easily for your room.

D

doubleds

Good morning boots

This is a 5 plant room. 1 in each corner and 1 in the middle. Do you have a secondary room for ballasts, resevoir and chiller? What type of a/c do you have?

dds

B

Boots Sugarleaf

Morning back atchya Double D!

I do have a second room where I keep all my ballasts and equipment already. I haven't picked up an ac yet because I think I won't need it since I will most likely use cool tubes. In my other flower rooms I pump outside air in and that is all that's needed. It gets down to about 30 degrees here at night now.

What if the reservoir is kept in a room that is 40 degrees? would a chiller still be necessary? That is where I keep my ballasts, etc...and I was thinking if I keep my res for this grow there also it should stay good.

So you think 5 plants in an 11 x 11? What if I do 4? How many lights? I have 1000's and 600's to use and keep in mind that on the bottom right hand corner of the grid I have a doorway that opens into the room. And where should I place the lighting to be most efficient considering 4 plants and the doorway issue?

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it

E

easypleasie

I'd like to chime in and maybe help out with the plant setup.

x = plant
o = light

5 plant setup, 4 lights
x o x
o x o
x o x

4 plant setup, 5 lights

o x o
x o x
o x o

I reversed the swing of my door so it opens outwards. This frees up the space for either a light or plant :)

B

Boots Sugarleaf

Sure easy, any input is welcome, I appreciate it.

4 1000's for 5 plants enuff light? Maybe with corner lighting from the 600's?

I really plan to set my bucets and cages up in such a way that I can get in and rotate the plants daily also.

I thought about reversing the door, the house is on the historical societies preservation list though so I don't wanna damage any original woodwork, just out of consdieration. I may reverse it though

E

easypleasie

4 lights for 5 plants will work fine. Look at Dizzle's Casey thread! I think 5 lights and 4 plants will give you a more consistent yield from each plant. Not sure if there's much difference overall in yield. I wouldn't mind know this myself :)

The extra lights in the corners couldn't hurt :) More light = mo better! I'll most likely add as much as I can fit without heat problems.

And i'm sure dds will say you won't need to turn the plants. Maybe tie them up to the cage. I'm looking forward to my run with this system!

D

doubleds

Sure easy, any input is welcome, I appreciate it.

4 1000's for 5 plants enuff light? Maybe with corner lighting from the 600's?

I really plan to set my bucets and cages up in such a way that I can get in and rotate the plants daily also.

I thought about reversing the door, the house is on the historical societies preservation list though so I don't wanna damage any original woodwork, just out of consdieration. I may reverse it though

i put 600's in corners also, make sure they are in cool tubes and dont turn them on until 2 weeks into flower.

ok, if your using the 4 plant setup that will be SWEET bro. The 5 light setup will need 600's in the coners.

You will need the chiller bro, make no mistake. One of the most important tools we will use.

Please dont take me the wrong way bro but if you skimp in the $ areas it WILL cost you in yield. I have tried it everyway bro and it just doesnt work right. I am not trying to get everyone to spend a tonne of money, just telling everyone in advance what they will need so you dont make the same mistakes i did.

Hope this helps mate

dds

B

Boots Sugarleaf

i put 600's in corners also, make sure they are in cool tubes and dont turn them on until 2 weeks into flower.

ok, if your using the 4 plant setup that will be SWEET bro. The 5 light setup will need 600's in the coners.

You will need the chiller bro, make no mistake. One of the most important tools we will use.

Please dont take me the wrong way bro but if you skimp in the $ areas it WILL cost you in yield. I have tried it everyway bro and it just doesnt work right. I am not trying to get everyone to spend a tonne of money, just telling everyone in advance what they will need so you dont make the same mistakes i did.

Hope this helps mate

dds

Not taken the wrong way at all...I am just a non consumer and like to recycle or use what's on hand, etc...what about the deep freezer cooler you mentioned somewhere? really work?

what x o pattern would you do for the 4 plant if you don't mind?

D

doubleds

Not taken the wrong way at all...I am just a non consumer and like to recycle or use what's on hand, etc...what about the deep freezer cooler you mentioned somewhere? really work?

what x o pattern would you do for the 4 plant if you don't mind?

same pattern as easy shows above. freezer works but is really inefficient.

B

Boots Sugarleaf

ok, I'll get a cooler then

thanks, on my way to the depot now

M

mrdizzle

you gotta rock a chiller brother. mine hasnt turned on in probalbly a week due to the facts is fucking freezing here in nor-cal right now. but we all know what summer tastes like. plants die so quick its not even funny. i tried a 12 plants krusty grow last year around this time, lost 10 of 12 plants, and about 4 months of time all because i skimped on the chiller

i would go with the 5 plant room 4000w room, seems like the extra plant will give you more yeild than the extra light will give you. i might throw some 430w behind my outside plants next right but i actually am glad i have the room behind the plants right

B

Boots Sugarleaf

for sure bro, it is cold up here right now, I barely can make myself go outside!

....so what is the recommended stats to look for on a chiller? I just got back from home depot with a good portion of supplies. But I still have a few shopping trips to do. And I will get a chiller for sure, just need to know what stats I should look for with the understanding that after this first run goes right I will go up to 12 plants for the next run

I am able to put my tubs directly on the floor due to space below the floor for res and what not to go, do I need to put down some foam board or anything to insulate the bottoms of the tubs?

the tubs I got are about 20 x 30 and 14 inches tall and hold 27 gallons...and I got buckets and grow baskets for the buckets

so even after the tubs I have a solid 8 feet of vertical room for the ladies to grow.

D

doubleds

for sure bro, it is cold up here right now, I barely can make myself go outside!

....so what is the recommended stats to look for on a chiller? I just got back from home depot with a good portion of supplies. But I still have a few shopping trips to do. And I will get a chiller for sure, just need to know what stats I should look for with the understanding that after this first run goes right I will go up to 12 plants for the next run

I am able to put my tubs directly on the floor due to space below the floor for res and what not to go, do I need to put down some foam board or anything to insulate the bottoms of the tubs?

the tubs I got are about 20 x 30 and 14 inches tall and hold 27 gallons...and I got buckets and grow backets for the buckets

so even after the tubs I have a solid 8 feet of vertical room for the ladies to grow.

you want a 1/2 hp chiller for 12 plants
bro

dds

E

easypleasie

With high ceilings, putting the tubs up higher might make it a bit easier for you to get to your plants. Just a thought :) I still have to do a lot of ducking and crawling lol

B

Boots Sugarleaf

With high ceilings, putting the tubs up higher might make it a bit easier for you to get to your plants. Just a thought :) I still have to do a lot of ducking and crawling lol

Good idea for sure....I'm used to mountain pharmin' tho so crawling around the canopies comes natural for me. And I want the extra vertical room for just in case I need it, don't wanna get to week 7 and feel stresses on lack of room, and we still have to decide which of our cuttings to use....

B

Boots Sugarleaf

Hey diz or DD, since I am using these canadian prefab bucket netpots will the directions for drilling the nute line hole on the how to page be the same? The lids I have snap onto the 5 gallon buckets and the net part goes down about 5". I know I will need to cut the bottoms off the buckets, but I will because snapping the lids onto the buckets will add extra support for the plants later. My tubs are 14" tall

Just wanna make sure I get it right the first time

thanks in advance

L

Lost

Boots - Check out ebay for prime chillers. They sell direct thru there, but keep a look out for their refurbs.. the 1/3 hp modular (has same or higher specs than other mfg's 1/2 hp chillers) Only their modular ones have the higher specs, not the towers. When they go on ebay the single stage thermostat is about 300 down from over 900. These are great chillers. Here is an ebay link for one, but really you are looking for one refurbed and I don't see one up. If you have a few weeks, im sure they will put another lot of them up. If not even 499 is a great price. I got mine new for around 400 but I shopped around alot and got lucky. Then a few weeks later the refurb's went on sale and I could have saved another 100 bucks, lol..

Good luck :)

B

Boots Sugarleaf

Thanks Lost! Great info. For sure. I am waiting a couple weeks to pick one up so in the meantime I will be window shopping all over the net for a good one. I have a friend who may have one to kick in also

Top Bottom