DD's MPB Bucket system...

• Thread starter crossouttheiis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

crossouttheiis

I am finally gathering the last few things that I need to do a scaled down version of the MPB run. First and for most I want to say I donate all the medicine I produce to my patient and he is going to love me when I am through with a run like this. If this goes over well I want to run a ten plant room. And I want to share all the knowledge I learn from this with my friends that grow as well...

I plan on doing a five plant set up with four 1000 watt lights.The first thing that I need to do is enlarge my grow room. It is currently 8 by 8 and I am enlarging it in the next couple weeks to ten by ten. I am waiting for my current cycle to be completed at the end of this month.

I currently have (2) 1000 watts, A Green air products CD-18 co2 generator, Propane tank, as well as a CAP PPM-3.

TO BUY LIST:
(1)1/4 hp water chiller 432 dollars was the best I could find
(1)1800 GPH pump 80 dollars
(2) 1200 GPH pumps 140 dollars
(5) 10" net pots around 50 dollars
(5) 12" airstones around 20 bucks
(5) 27 gallon basin 60 bucks from home depot
1/2 inch feeder line
1/2 inch drip line
(2) One thousand Watt ballast (craigslist for this one 400 dollars maybe)
(2) cord sets for ballast 60 bucks here
4 inch drain line that ill run around the exterior of my room
(10) drippers so I can top feed my babies :)
(1) 6 inch carbon filter and fan (around 300 dollars
(1) insulated ducting ( two packs maybe 40 bucks)
(5) 1/2 inch safety valves
(1) hi blow 80 air pump 280 bucks and a gang valve

The grand total for this will be around 2400 dollars give or take based on discounts at the hydroponics stores and deals I can score on craigslist.

Add another 300 for the AN and house and garden line puts me at a start up cost of about 2700 dollars.

I am going to be doing all of my own wiring, with the help of my buddy who does electrical for a living.

DD or anyone???Would a 12000 btu ductless mini split system be efficient enough for a ten by ten room?

Strain Selection

I recently have purchased some seeds from hemp-depot.ca and they are doing wonderful. The seeds purchased are TGA the VOID 2.0. Although I am not sure they are exactly the right strain to be run in this system I would love to hear from DD. I think however I will wait on some original G-13 clones from my friend who got the strain back in the early nineties. This would probably be the best idea to keep it similar to DD's grow.

Vegging

Once said clones are received I am going to be running a small ebb and flow table. 2x4 tray with a 25 gallon reservoir or something along those lines.

Disclaimer
I am a medical provider and am complying with all state laws.

D

doubleds

I am finally gathering the last few things that I need to do a scaled down version of the MPB run. First and for most I want to say I donate all the medicine I produce to my patient and he is going to love me when I am through with a run like this. If this goes over well I want to run a ten plant room. And I want to share all the knowledge I learn from this with my friends that grow as well...

I plan on doing a five plant set up with four 1000 watt lights.The first thing that I need to do is enlarge my grow room. It is currently 8 by 8 and I am enlarging it in the next couple weeks to ten by ten. I am waiting for my current cycle to be completed at the end of this month.

I currently have (2) 1000 watts, A Green air products CD-18 co2 generator, Propane tank, as well as a CAP PPM-3.

TO BUY LIST:
(1)1/4 hp water chiller 432 dollars was the best I could find
(1)1800 GPH pump 80 dollars
(2) 1200 GPH pumps 140 dollars
(5) 10" net pots around 50 dollars
(5) 12" airstones around 20 bucks
(5) 27 gallon basin 60 bucks from home depot
1/2 inch feeder line
1/2 inch drip line
(2) One thousand Watt ballast (craigslist for this one 400 dollars maybe)
(2) cord sets for ballast 60 bucks here
4 inch drain line that ill run around the exterior of my room
(10) drippers so I can top feed my babies :)
(1) 6 inch carbon filter and fan (around 300 dollars
(1) insulated ducting ( two packs maybe 40 bucks)
(5) 1/2 inch safety valves
(1) hi blow 80 air pump 280 bucks and a gang valve

The grand total for this will be around 2400 dollars give or take based on discounts at the hydroponics stores and deals I can score on craigslist.

Add another 300 for the AN and house and garden line puts me at a start up cost of about 2700 dollars.

I am going to be doing all of my own wiring, with the help of my buddy who does electrical for a living.

DD or anyone???Would a 12000 btu ductless mini split system be efficient enough for a ten by ten room?

Strain Selection

I recently have purchased some seeds from hemp-depot.ca and they are doing wonderful. The seeds purchased are TGA the VOID 2.0. Although I am not sure they are exactly the right strain to be run in this system I would love to hear from DD. I think however I will wait on some original G-13 clones from my friend who got the strain back in the early nineties. This would probably be the best idea to keep it similar to DD's grow.

Vegging

Once said clones are received I am going to be running a small ebb and flow table. 2x4 tray with a 25 gallon reservoir or something along those lines.

Disclaimer
I am a medical provider and am complying with all state laws.

Yes, a 12000 btu would work for 2 x 1000 watt lights but if i were you, spend a thousand more and step it up to 30,000 to 36,000 btu. I promise you you will want to add more lights and you will be screwed.

dds

L

Lost

Agreed.. Nothing like buying something twice.

Also, even if a friend is helping you with the electrical, I would consider a light controller.

Drop the airstones. Use soaker hose in 1/4 inch sizing, its the same as your drip lines in size.

Why do ebb and flo? I did this in my tubs at first but its a waste of time.. Veg in DWC.. I have a diy for a cheap dwc bubble cloner that will give you relly long roots that can go str8 into the baskets :) I also have a DIY for using 1 tub for 2 girls in veg. That DIY is in a thread called Tub Girls in the grow diary section.

Good luck :)

L

Lost

Just to add each 1k hps is 4k btu in heat.. Figure how many you want and add it up :)

O

OregonMeds

He said he plans on 4kw and 5 plants, already has 2kw. No that a/c is not big enough, I just saw on another thread here (just in the last couple days) a link to ~$1000 mini split 13seer on amazon. I think it was 24k btu. It said it was around $700 off normal.

There are many things you can get cheaper if cost is holding you up. Watch what the rest of us are doing to save costs as time goes on. Also just browse craigslist for used things and pick them up when good deals surface like you said with the lights and you might be up and running before you know it.

There are also slickdeals ways to combine discounts on ebay and amazon through like bing etc. Lets say you want the mini split for 1k on amazon then look on slickdeals for amazon discounts and things like bing you can combine.

D

doubleds

He said he plans on 4kw and 5 plants, already has 2kw. No that a/c is not big enough, I just saw on another thread here (just in the last couple days) a link to ~$1000 mini split 13seer on amazon. I think it was 24k btu. It said it was around $700 off normal.

There are many things you can get cheaper if cost is holding you up. Watch what the rest of us are doing to save costs as time goes on. Also just browse craigslist for used things and pick them up when good deals surface like you said with the lights and you might be up and running before you know it.

There are also slickdeals ways to combine discounts on ebay and amazon through like bing etc. Lets say you want the mini split for 1k on amazon then look on slickdeals for amazon discounts and things like bing you can combine.

i have always had a saying friend, if you buy cheap you will end up with crap.

C'mon guys, your mini splits are going to b running long and hard all the time. These units are not coming on once and a while to keep the house cool, they are starting up 5 minutes after the lights come on and working as hard as they can for 12 - 18 hours per day.

Buy a brand name, even if its double the price. They are the only ones that last.

dds

N

noone88

To reiterate what doubleds said. Never ever go cheap on a minisplit. Get it professionally installed, stick with a Fujitsu (Halycon) or Mitsu (Mr. Slim) models, and make sure it has an inverter technology.

If a professional install is not possible for you, try to do one of those window ac boxes.

K

kushpheen

How difficult is the installation for one of these mini-splits?
What are the main drawbacks for using cool tubes?
What effect does living in a relatively cool place year round have on your A/C demands?

M

mrdizzle

if you think an additional $1500 for a top of the line A/C is bad, try to imagen losing a whole crop, plus two months rent, plus 2 months electricity plus a therapist. not to mention you will need to buy another pile of crap a/c on ebay. penny wise pound foolish I believe is the saying

about a year ago I lost 4months rent $(12,000), a whole harvest and about 5gs in electricity because I didnt buy a $500 dollar chiller. I would rather be turned into a tranny than go through that again

C

crossouttheiis

I have made up my mind to go with the 24k for a thousand. One of my good friends worked for an hvac company for many years. He is checking into a discount for me :). I will have enough in the cost department. I am just concerned about dumping a whole lot of money into one thing though. I have seen all your guys grows and everything this looks great so I am more at ease now then I was initially. I am going to stick with a 24k btu with an inverter. and a 1/4 hp chiller. I am not going to have any room to go any bigger. So I will not have to worry about upgrading in the future. I have my own house and the room I am using has to be bigger then it already is. lol I just cant wait to get this show on the road.

I always hunt craigslist all the time! that is where I got my co2 controller and my co2 generator for sooooo cheap. Who couldnt resist a green air products cd-18 and a cap ppm-3 for 400 bucks! I took it to green air products to get a couple parts like a regulator and such and they said it was an older model, but the best running one they have seen and most of the time when people bring in used ones they are in horrible condition I have also found ballasts as well as other misc stuff for cheap.

I couldnt imagine losing anything like that though. That is a tough loss mr. dizzle. I am glad that electricity in oregon is cheap. It makes it a lot nicer and bills over all are cheaper!

I guess I could always do a run without the air conditioner the first round. My room is really cool and well ventilated even with two 1k watters in there. I know summertime is around the corner though and I will need one of those bad!

C

crossouttheiis

Agreed.. Nothing like buying something twice.

Also, even if a friend is helping you with the electrical, I would consider a light controller.

Drop the airstones. Use soaker hose in 1/4 inch sizing, its the same as your drip lines in size.

Why do ebb and flo? I did this in my tubs at first but its a waste of time.. Veg in DWC.. I have a diy for a cheap dwc bubble cloner that will give you relly long roots that can go str8 into the baskets :) I also have a DIY for using 1 tub for 2 girls in veg. That DIY is in a thread called Tub Girls in the grow diary section.

Good luck :)

I have looked into soaker hose. Do you think it provides more oxygen to the roots or more bubbles than a 12 inch airstone. 60 liters is aprox. 18 gallons... is everyone going bigger from better results or still in theory?

L

Lost

I have made up my mind to go with the 24k for a thousand. One of my good friends worked for an hvac company for many years. He is checking into a discount for me :). I will have enough in the cost department. I am just concerned about dumping a whole lot of money into one thing though. I have seen all your guys grows and everything this looks great so I am more at ease now then I was initially. I am going to stick with a 24k btu with an inverter. and a 1/4 hp chiller. I am not going to have any room to go any bigger. So I will not have to worry about upgrading in the future. I have my own house and the room I am using has to be bigger then it already is. lol I just cant wait to get this show on the road.

I always hunt craigslist all the time! that is where I got my co2 controller and my co2 generator for sooooo cheap. Who couldnt resist a green air products cd-18 and a cap ppm-3 for 400 bucks! I have also found ballasts as well as other misc stuff for cheap.

I couldnt imagine losing anything like that though. That is a tough loss mr. dizzle. I am glad that electricity in oregon is cheap. It makes it a lot nicer and bills over all are cheaper!

I guess I could always do a run without the air conditioner the first round. My room is really cool and well ventilated even with two 1k watters in there. I know summertime is around the corner though and I will need one of those bad!

I think there is a real misconception here that you just buy this system and make pounds. You have to dial it in and if you have not gorwn before of even grown this style before, its not going to be smooth sailing and trouble free. This is a real commitment and should be well thought out. If you have not done regular DWC run, do that first.

Im sure some will disagree, but I have run 2 crops thru my tubs and am getting ready for the 3rd, a full MPD run. I ran into some problems boths runs, even tho I pulled some decent weight.

I just don't want people that have atched a few too many episodes of Weeds and think they are going to be chest deep in MILF weed in 2 months... It probablly won't work out quite that smothly and it will take a run or 2 to really get running. (Which means $$$)

L

Lost

I have looked into soaker hose. Do you think it provides more oxygen to the roots or more bubbles than a 12 inch airstone. 60 liters is aprox. 18 gallons... is everyone going bigger from better results or still in theory?

I have used the soaker tubing, I posted up pics in another thread. It works.. It does no colg and if it does i unclogs easily (you stretch it).

I have lost more plants to a cloged airstone in DWC than I care to remember.

C

crossouttheiis

I think there is a real misconception here that you just buy this system and make pounds. You have to dial it in and if you have not gorwn before of even grown this style before, its not going to be smooth sailing and trouble free. This is a real commitment and should be well thought out. If you have not done regular DWC run, do that first.

Im sure some will disagree, but I have run 2 crops thru my tubs and am getting ready for the 3rd, a full MPD run. I ran into some problems boths runs, even tho I pulled some decent weight.

I just don't want people that have atched a few too many episodes of Weeds and think they are going to be chest deep in MILF weed in 2 months... It probablly won't work out quite that smothly and it will take a run or 2 to really get running. (Which means $$$)

I have just had mothers in dwc before. I have not done a full cycle through with only deep water culture. I didnt want the hassle of many buckets being changed out. that is what I think is so awesome about this system. its recirculating, which I know i could build a different way. I have been growing for a couple years now and each harvest has come with a greater yield. I know I am still learning and will always be learning new things. I am just trying to make sure that I get all of the equipment correct the first time so I will not have to be double charged.

I do this as a hobby, but a serious one at that. and if the first harvest only yields a pound or two then so be it. I know there is always room for improvement and that is the risk I am willing to take.

I believe I saw your soaker hose that you posted in a thread under mpb bucket system thread. how much of it do you run in each mini res?

I am going to continually hunt for the best deals and in about three weeks that is when I am going to make my final purchases. I will post up websites or however I plan on purchasing these items. If any of you all know a place items could be purchased for cheaper then let me know.

I just have gotten off the phone with my HVAC friend and he says he can get a mr. slim for about half of retail? he is going to check into it more today and is going to let me know. the list prices companies have on every site are higher then what they are selling them for, but of course any good marketing team wants to make price as appealing as the product. Im guessing I am going to be shooting for the 22k btu 16 seer mr slim.

mr dizzle: the other question I have for you is at this stage now.... would you consider switching to five lights and four plants for the same area? I am still waiting for you to post up pictures of your new room and the one that is nearing completion :)

L

Lost

Soaker hose is excellent for making air..it doesn't imho make quite as much air as a good 12" airstone but it won't fall apart in the middle of a run either.
i am using it this run as i did with krusys..i tried the 12" airstones and they put out lots of bubbles until they fell apart in my hands in less than a crop...all of em!

Yes, and I didn't catch it last time, DOH!

I run about 4-6 feet of it depending how long you make your lines.

L

Lost

BTW - The PIA with soaker tubing it sinking it, it floats..you have to find a way to keep it on the bottom...

L

Lost

I think I might use a dab of aquarium silicone at each end.. A better solution is a tie glued to the bottom, so you can undo the tie and remove the tubing to replace. At 15 bucks a 50 foot roll your not going to break yourself just chucking it every 4 weeks.

Northone - Last time my roots were so big i put them under the roots and the roots held them down. That was some long veg times tho and already well into flower.

C

crossouttheiis

I think I will go with the idea of the glue. Just set the ties in place with glue and then being able to just throw in new hose every four weeks or so... depending on how clogged up it gets. I went into the home depot near my house today and there were none of those boxes with the yellow lids. I asked if they carried something by the name of strong box or tough box, but the person working there didnt seem to have really any idea. I talked to another employee and they said that they were not carried there... weird. 18 gallon bins efficient enough? I have tons of those around.

Top Bottom