• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

DEA raids pot dispensary in SF
Rachel Gordon, Chronicle Staff Writer
Thursday, March 26, 2009

(03-25) 22:05 PDT San Francisco -- Federal agents raided a medical marijuana dispensary in San Francisco Wednesday, a week after U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder signaled that the Obama administration would not prosecute distributors of pot used for medicinal purposes that operate under sanction of state law.

U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration agents raided Emmalyn's California Cannabis Clinic at 1597 Howard St. in San Francisco's South of Market district mid-afternoon.

They hauled out large plastic bins overflowing with marijuana plants and loaded several pickup trucks parked out front with grow lights and related equipment used to farm the plants indoors.

The dispensary had been operating with a temporary permit issued by the Department of Public Health.

"Based on our investigation, we believe there are not only violations of federal law, but state law as well," DEA Special Agent in Charge Anthony Williams said in a prepared statement.

Williams, who runs the San Francisco field office that covers a territory stretching from Bakersfield to Redding, would not specify the alleged violations. The information was under court seal.

"As of now, we are prohibited from releasing further details of the case. Items of evidentiary value were seized and no arrests have been made," Williams said.

A source in San Francisco city government who was informed about the raid said the DEA's action appeared to be prompted by alleged financial improprieties related to the payment of sales taxes. DEA Special Agent Casey McEnry, spokeswoman for the local office, would not comment on that information.

Representatives from Emmalyn's could not be reached for comment. It was not clear whether they were on the premises when authorities arrived.

Word of the raid spread quickly in the medical marijuana advocacy community via text-message. About a dozen people, many with cameras in hand, gathered in front of Emmalyn's as federal agents guarded the front entrance. The scent of marijuana wafted through the crowd and several bystanders shouted epithets at the agents as they walked by.

Emmalyn's provides marijuana for free to poor people on Wednesdays.

"It's awful that raids like this are still happening. Public opinion favors medicinal marijuana," said Troy Dayton, senior development officer for the Marijuana Policy Project, a national organization that advocates for the decriminalization of marijuana, particularly for medicinal purposes.

Thirteen years ago, California became the first of more than a dozen states to legalize medical marijuana, although federal law still prohibits its use.

In a marked shift from Bush administration policy, Holder said last month that dispensaries only would be prosecuted if both state and federal drug laws were thought to be violated.

E-mail Rachel Gordon at [email protected].

Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/25/BA5B16N9LR.DTL

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkl2Yzhd6E8[/YOUTUBE]
Video source:

F

Fear

The united states irs is the most effiecient/ well oiled machine in the us government watch out don"t pay your bills uncle sam will tax that ass>

A

Alekiboy

If you are a co-op in Cali-
Pay your share of the taxes..
Otherwise Babylon will come a knockin
Alekiboy

hubcap

hubcap

PAY YOUR TAXES

sould be the FIRST thing on your list to help avoid such problems...

this all has to end, somehow!!

K

kansasgrown

Can't give things away for free without giving big brother his cut!

S

S1CK0hh

i thought the irs handled tax issues, wtf is the dea doing enforcing tax evasion???

hubcap

hubcap

it all falls under "big brother"

no one should be getting raided like this. even FOR tax evasion...
im sure "co ops" arent the ONLY ones....

i had such high hopes for obama and all weve received is WORDS.

F

Fear

it all falls under "big brother"

no one should be getting raided like this. even FOR tax evasion...
im sure "co ops" arent the ONLY ones....

i had such high hopes for obama and all weve received is WORDS.

The only reason clubs around here in the sf bay area are getting raided is cause they are greedy and don't need to be in buisness. Why the hell do you need over a million in cash or what do you need over 100 pounds at one club? Greed I say. The clubs that survive are quiet, don't advertise in Craigslist (that I know of).
Also if you don't pay your taxes who is the drug cartels tax collector or should I say the inforcer? THE DEA. Do this to the shady clubs and keep the good ones on there toes. Paying Taxes. Fuck they make enough money, I don't know how many clubs are NON-profit if any.

S

smokebreaks

It sucks, but Drug Enforcement in America is a division of the U.S. Treasury.

H

HeadCase

I cant believe they still keep doing this bullshit. I always say if all the people that smoke would stand up for their rights It would be a mass of people. So many smokers still are in the closet. We need a stoners come out of the closet day.

I'm not crazy......HeadCase

T

Time

I'm all for legalization but...

When a club that is doing that big gets hit I just lololol. They are supposed to be practically GIVING away pot, not selling it at street prices.

Karma is a mo-fo.

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
That's why it's so fucked up when you walk into a club and see $90 for a 1/8th oz and you know these clowns are paying $4000 or less a pound . Here in So Cal they pay more for pounds but not much and even if they paid $5000 and sold it for $50 a 1/8th and they only sold 4 pounds a day that's like $6000 a day in profit .

H

HeadCase

I'm all for legalization but...

When a club that is doing that big gets hit I just lololol. They are supposed to be practically GIVING away pot, not selling it at street prices.

Karma is a mo-fo.

Good point. When I was living in L.A. they were selling above street prices. I saw G-13 at a place on Hollywood Blvd going for 80 for a 1/8th,talk about scalping.

I'm not crazy......HeadCase :banana:

S

S1CK0hh

dept. of treasury, gotcha...no surprise then at the reason,I wonder how long till they start doing this to legal home gardens??

edit: and not just cannabis, food as well.

B

Beeronymous

armed revolution.bloodshed. just get it over with already. shoot some people and make some changes.show the man what it really is to be fascist.

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
I believe we have nothing to fear but fear itself , I know this sounds cheesy but they want to put fear in us and I have enough to worry about already and can't let them drag me down

A

Attis

Is it really a surprise to anyone? I mean come on, the DEA is going to milk this cow for every last penny that it can. Think about it, they confiscate the meds, equiptment, and all other assets of these places and then guess where it goes? In their pockets. Hmmmm... So they basically rob them and get away with it. Well for the most part anyway. Why do you think that they only arrest and prosecute a small percentage of the people? Because they are banking on the fact that they will accept their loss and be grateful they still have their freedom. Then the Feds get to keep everything. The unfortunate ones who are made examples of are only tried because they want to instill that "FEAR" in everyone else the way they have done for years. It's their not so secret, yet, effective weapon.

I agree that these co-ops are overpriced for the most part, but they do (most anyway) also give away free meds to poor or needy patients, some even do more. They also have a huge risk factor to consider and America is known for raising rates associated with risk. The banks do it so why not everyone else. It's a bit crazy to think that people should do this for free or little profit just because its cannabis. Why not make every pharmaceutical company operate by these standards then? Because it's ridiculous that's why. Then again, if they were stupid enough to evade taxes then who's fault is it really? We don't know the whole story yet and they could actually be a shady enterprise. It sucks that they were raided and that a lot of patients are now displaced, but at the end of the day, it could possibly have been avoided if they just paid what they owed.

I am torn between anger and frustration. Angry that this is still happening, but frustrated that if it is the case, these places can't get their shit together and follow regulations that are set and avoid setting back pro cannabis advocates and their progress. It only adds to the negative stigma that cannabis and it's users already have. :sad0123:

-A

K

kill-9

Maybe there should be a list of dispensaries who charge more than 60 and eighth.

F

Fear

Maybe there should be a list of dispensaries who charge more than 60 and eighth.

L.A. I hear it can be up to 80 an 1/8. but the grower gets more money too. Sf no more than $60. They know also if they start raiding houses a chance people will fight back to protect themselves and families. Especially when they raid some wrong homes. I have my protection!:mad0233:

Top Bottom