Dear hand waterers. What's your weapon of choice?

• Thread starter ThatRapperWeed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

I recently bought a 1 gal sprayer which is great for 1 gallon pots but now that I have 3 gallons, I find it slow to water evenly. The last watering can I got was a piece of crap (water drip was so unevenly distributed). I ordered a new one to try. Do the 2 gal sprayers have a better spray or is it the same as the 1 gallon sprayer?

euphoria526

euphoria526

Shiiiiiiit. I just use solo cups, one cup at a time for each plant till it soaked through. But then again I only have 2 plants right now :p lol

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I use a big plastic cup

8FDBA46B 8B3C 4FF8 B8AF F647F550499F

boomgagem

boomgagem

Supporter
I recently bought a 1 gal sprayer which is great for 1 gallon pots but now that I have 3 gallons, I find it slow to water evenly. The last watering can I got was a piece of crap (water drip was so unevenly distributed). I ordered a new one to try. Do the 2 gal sprayers have a better spray or is it the same as the 1 gallon sprayer?

I’m using a 2 gallon sprayer now. I’ve tried all kinds of shit and still don’t know what I like best lol

quirk

quirk

On young plants, for precise titration, I use 16oz. condiment squeeze bottles and as they bush out I switch to a water pot with an extendable tube that I attached with epoxy. It also allows for precise flow. Same plants, day 4 and day 61.
Organic soil auto grower.

Seedlins water
Easy Reach
Water pot
Last edited:
crossfader

crossfader

Currently use a 2L pitcher but I've been eying a 1 gallon sprayer. It seems to be more 'gentle' in delivering the water than the pitcher.

Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

Half gallon mason jars! Classic, but an easy way to measure what you're giving them

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I just use 1 gallon water jugs. For 3 gallon pots 1 gallon is perfect for 10% runoff . Nothing fancy just pour it in flood the top about 1/3rd of the gallon do it twice. Spin the pot 180 so all the pot gets water on the bottom on a floor / table with a slant...To me flood means flood not drip drip. If there's room on top I'll pour the whole gallon in, suck up run off with my turkey baster and test ph & ppm

boomgagem

boomgagem

Supporter
I just use 1 gallon water jugs. For 3 gallon pots 1 gallon is perfect for 10% runoff . Nothing fancy just pour it in flood the top about 1/3rd of the gallon do it twice. Spin the pot 180 so all the pot gets water on the bottom on a floor / table with a slant...To me flood means flood not drip drip. If there's room on top I'll pour the whole gallon in, suck up run off with my turkey baster and test ph & ppm

I was doing something similar last grow, but I was using a watering can. I had some issues that after searching and reading, I wasn’t letting the water soak in good, and a lot of my runoff was water that just ran down the sides. I’m on my 3rd grow now and didn’t want to make that mistake again.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I was doing something similar last grow, but I was using a watering can. I had some issues that after searching and reading, I wasn’t letting the water soak in good, and a lot of my runoff was water that just ran down the sides. I’m on my 3rd grow now and didn’t want to make that mistake again.
The first pour is slower & down the center I don't let it get that dry so that he soil has pulled away from the sides too much. If it pours straight through I'll let it sit and suck up the water for a minute while I deal with other plants then come back and finish it off. The pot has to be heavy after watering / feeding...if too much has gone through to waste, giver more. I saturate & dry no light watering 3 - 4 day cycle.

boomgagem

boomgagem

Supporter
The first pour is slower & down the center I don't let it get that dry so that he soil has pulled away from the sides too much. If it pours straight through I'll let it sit and suck up the water for a minute while I deal with other plants then come back and finish it off. The pot has to be heavy after watering / feeding...if too much has gone through to waste, giver more. I saturate & dry no light watering 3 - 4 day cycle.

Yep, and it was sucking away from the sides too, I think I’ve got a handle on it this grow. But I bought a sprayer just in case lol.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
A gallon milk jug has always been my friend
I found the opaque milk jugs got contaminated quickly with my well water. After using the same milk jugs for a year or so I found black sludge built up on the inside and because I was letting the water sit indoors to reach room temp and air off it poisoned the water. I couldn't get seeds to sprout or if they did they died quickly. my other plants weren't happy. I blamed it on everything but once I found the sludge by fluke ( sun at just the right angle ) I changed to clear distilled water bottles and the shit doesn't seem to stick. I do rotate now as well but all the problems I was having disappeared.

boomgagem

boomgagem

Supporter
I found the opaque milk jugs got contaminated quickly with my well water. After using the same milk jugs for a year or so I found black sludge built up on the inside and because I was letting the water sit indoors to reach room temp and air off it poisoned the water. I couldn't get seeds to sprout or if they did they died quickly. my other plants weren't happy. I blamed it on everything but once I found the sludge by fluke ( sun at just the right angle ) I changed to clear distilled water bottles and the shit doesn't seem to stick. I do rotate now as well but all the problems I was having disappeared.

You made me think of something else. I fill up a 3 gallon bucket with tap water, then I fill up my sink with hot water and stick the bucket in the hot water to warm mine to about 71, is that ok?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
You made me think of something else. I fill up a 3 gallon bucket with tap water, then I fill up my sink with hot water and stick the bucket in the hot water to warm mine to about 71, is that ok?
It's not a good idea to use water from the hot water tank. Too much iron. tanks corrode and minerals from that corrosion get into the water. I don't use it for cooking either. The heating coils erode as well, the bottom of the tank, If you've never flushed it is full of sludge , muck and metal pieces. They should be drained and flushed every so often but nobody does.

boomgagem

boomgagem

Supporter
It's not a good idea to use water from the hot water tank. Too much iron. tanks corrode and minerals from that corrosion get into the water. I don't use it for cooking either. The heating coils erode as well, the bottom of the tank, If you've never flushed it is full of sludge , muck and metal pieces. They should be drained and flushed every so often but nobody does.

No I mean I fill the 3 gal bucket with the water I use on the plants. I plug the sink and fill it with hot water and then I stick the bucket of water in the sink so it warms the water through the bucket.

DankNugz420

DankNugz420

I just use 1 gallon jugs, mostly juice jugs cuz they're heavier duty and water jugs. I got 6 good ones, had 9 but cheap milk jugs don't hold up long before leaking at the handle. I mix my 6 gallons and distribute while pouring around outer part of medium around the whole pot. Then if I need more I make more lol. Less time consuming to mix multiple jugs at 1 time.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I just use 1 gallon jugs, mostly juice jugs cuz they're heavier duty and water jugs. I got 6 good ones, had 9 but cheap milk jugs don't hold up long before leaking at the handle. I mix my 6 gallons and distribute while pouring around outer part of medium around the whole pot. Then if I need more I make more lol. Less time consuming to mix multiple jugs at 1 time.

i mix for each different plant in my perpetual in individual 1 gallon drink pitchers. Then pour into the red cup for easier pouring. You must be strong watering with a whole gallon container all the time. ;-)

quirk

quirk

No I mean I fill the 3 gal bucket with the water I use on the plants. I plug the sink and fill it with hot water and then I stick the bucket of water in the sink so it warms the water through the bucket.

Just put your filled 3 gal bucket in your grow area and let it acclimate for 4-6 hrs, before watering.

Top Bottom