Deep Water Culture

• Thread starter distalites
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Where should water level be

• Total voters
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

As far as the water level I try to keep mine about an inch from the bottom of the net pot so all roots have easier access to the water if they dry out to much can attract bugs like gnats they eat your roots fast.

The reason for lack of answer to a 'simple question' could be your opening statement. Did you mean dope or top? If you are top feeding then all the roots are getting fed, therefore, water/nute level is not important, assuming your feeding cycle is frequent enough to not allow roots to dry out

hth

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Ok so I'm doing a dop fed DWC everyone says I need the water level to the roots or below the net pot. No one is saying why the levels should be where they are. My thought would be that I can keep them as low as my top fed pump can suck would save me on water nutes and also help keep the water as oxygenated as possible. PLEASE HELP!! No short answers without telling why or a good reason. Thank you

The reason for lack of answer to a 'simple question' could be your opening statement. Did you mean dope or top? If you are top feeding then all the roots are getting fed, therefore, water/nute level is not important, assuming your feeding cycle is frequent enough to not allow roots to dry out

hth

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

All is to shelf buddy I'll show scale pic when all is done and show you the 8pds on a scale I know what I know and I'm happy to show it.
u dont mine foxtails I see.. that one bud weighs 2 ounces? And thats dry?

distalites

distalites

hth
Boom boom that's a lot closer to what I was looking for for an answer simple but explains. So basically as long as my roots don't dry out and I'm pumping enough water over them I don't need water all the way to the roots or net pot

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Boom boom that's a lot closer to what I was looking for for an answer simple but explains. So basically as long as my roots don't dry out and I'm pumping enough water over them I don't need water all the way to the roots or net pot
Why would you not have it that far up, or with-in at least an inch? Explain to me what the problem is? I never seen a thread get stuck on weather to keep your water level at the bottom of a netpot or an inch underneath it.. Either is fine, and further up, can drown the root crown. Too far down and you not utilizing the bucket that holds the solution, as in when the level drops, ppm rises, and ph drops.. causing problems..
You have it right below the crown at transplant to help the roots get to the water...

D

DwcKing

What he is saying it's here doesn't want water in the bucket he wants to use less water cuz water insane dirt cheap enough I've never had a bill over 35 bucks lol he's drip feeding to try to save answer is yes you can feed like that I wasn't understanding what he was trying to do but yes that's fine in a way not recommended simply cuz not enough oxygen to the roots u can do it if you want to save a couple of bucks but you lose way more in yield.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

What he is saying it's here doesn't want water in the bucket he wants to use less water cuz water insane dirt cheap enough I've never had a bill over 35 bucks lol he's drip feeding to try to save answer is yes you can feed like that I wasn't understanding what he was trying to do but yes that's fine in a way not recommended simply cuz not enough oxygen to the roots u can do it if you want to save a couple of bucks but you lose way more in yield.
I think I follow you, even tho that is the longest sentence in history, that I know of..
Well to each is their own... Ive done exaclty what he is talking here, in an 8 bucket run, called waterfarms.. they are dwc with drip rings too... Again, even General Hydroponics states, keep the water level up, and dropping it will signal drought conditions to a plant and its growth may be effected, not to mention that less water means less DO to the roots, which is what DWC game is all about.. so if you want low water, go aquaponics then...

Mytwhyt

Mytwhyt

Two pounds using 1000 watts isn't a hell of a lot to brag about... Now 3 lbs per 1000 watts would be something to celebrate.. Never done that myself, but have high hopes...
Here's my WFs, 2 SS315 watt lec/cmh, one light, 1 plant per WF... I veg 5 weeks and finish flowering usually in 10 weeks... these are at 9 weeks... The first plant Blackberry 12 oz, the second Blue Mystic, 14oz..

Where are those update pics DwcK??

IMG 3043
IMG 3044

D

DwcKing

Those look great! I just set up a 4 pot system with 2 315 cmh lights eager to see what they will do.
Sorry for the wait. Been really busy lately.
Here is a few pics. Harvesting tomorrow. Thinking 7pds this 4 pot run.
Back 2 in room are gg4
Front left Barry white
Front left blue dream
Completely flushed and ready to cut.

20180201 184210
20180201 184141
20180201 184119
20180201 184037
20180201 183949 HDR
20180201 183917
20180201 183911
20180201 183858
20180201 183843
20180201 183833 HDR
D

DwcKing

Room is 12*12
Bud wall to wall can only get in sideways along wall but it's pretty tight squeeze.

H

heisen

Water level as high as i can get it and ill tell you why not some back yard shade tree crap i read on the internet.
Its DWC stands for Deep water culture,Not shallow water culture,or half ass culture.The way your roots get DO is if they are in the water.I use to let my water sit below the nets and HAD nothing but issues with algae,bugs,worms and all kinds of headaches,
We put bennies in our water but let the top most important roots hang in the air where hot compressed air can bubble up to.DOES not make any sense to hang roots out of the water.If the bennies IN the water are going to work the roots need to be in the water.Not half of them.We are pumping all that dissolved oxygen into the water so out roots can take advantage of them.
I started to tape up the top 1 inch net holes in my pots and keep the water level there.So when roots come out they are submerged in the water where the DO and bennies are.
People will tell you they keep them an inch under but they never give a reason why.Its always just because thats the way everyone does it.I stopped doing it that way and have had nothing but healthy ass plants,no more root issues or algae and no more drain fly larvae.
I keep my water level right even with those holes the roots come out of.
DSC 0465

No more brown algae or nasty shit at the top of my roots that leaches into the water.

20180112 230812

20180110 225321

20171229 234057

D

DwcKing

That's a great idea to tape the net pots and over fill I don't tape but I keep over filled my roots turn a brown tint around week 4 but that's because I use G10. My roots are snow white up to til then. If you don't use it as and extra additive I highly recommend, if I don't I lose close to 2 to 4 Oz's a plant just what helps me a lot.
If anyone wants to know what I feed and how I do it feel free to message me. Til then happy growing and better smokin.

H

heisen

That's a great idea to tape the net pots and over fill I don't tape but I keep over filled my roots turn a brown tint around week 4 but that's because I use G10. My roots are snow white up to til then. If you don't use it as and extra additive I highly recommend, if I don't I lose close to 2 to 4 Oz's a plant just what helps me a lot.
If anyone wants to know what I feed and how I do it feel free to message me. Til then happy growing and better smokin.
I dont use anything for additives and grow 2 liter colas.Its all about healthy roots.Ferterlizer comes in N P and K.thats it.Its the ratios that matter.When all that junk is broken down to a micro level the plants dont care one way or the other.Healthy unclogged roots will absorb more than roots covered in gunk.

DSC 0408

Junk

Junk

I just dont see good quality bud underneath 18" unless I clip all at 12", and flush for another week... JUST MY OPINION...
What do you mean....harvesting twice? Like take the stretchy tops, trim them, and a week later take the rest?

Not giving you a hard time, I'm genuinely not sure what you mean...

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

What do you mean....harvesting twice? Like take the stretchy tops, trim them, and a week later take the rest?

Not giving you a hard time, I'm genuinely not sure what you mean...
Harvest the top 8 inches and go another week and harvest the rest is what i was referring too..

DWCgrower

DWCgrower

Ok so I'm doing a dop fed DWC everyone says I need the water level to the roots or below the net pot. No one is saying why the levels should be where they are. My thought would be that I can keep them as low as my top fed pump can suck would save me on water nutes and also help keep the water as oxygenated as possible. PLEASE HELP!! No short answers without telling why or a good reason. Thank you

The water should be at least covering the roots. Usually to the first line of the netpod.
You do not want the roots exposed to air (that’s a receipt for disaster)

One indicator is to make sure your grow cube is not wet (it can be moist but not wet) if the stem gets too wet due to a high water lever the plant can get the white circle of death and lock out and that will couse it to die shortly after.

hope that helps!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Here is the reason i say keep it an Inch below the net pots. Both work but someone said nobody gives a reason so here it is.

At 1" below the netpot at beginning stages the bubbles breaking the surface supply plenty of moisture and nutrients to the root much like an aeroponic system. which provides even faster growth than DWC but is also more temperamental.

As the plants grow the bubbles may move around the root system but still break the surface and the humidity is very high in the air portion of the the bucket so no the roots don't dry out as stated

Now the reason i find this more beneficial is if the water is in the net pot it will most likely wick into the rockwool, jiffy pellets or peat pellets. This will cause very high moisture levels at the base of the stem and often would see little white nubs that are the beginning of new roots above the hydroton. This is an indication that the moisture levels are to high. This can lead to stem rot and is a huge invitation to mold and fungus as well as algae. With good airflow at the base of the stem its a lot less likely.

That is why i recommend 1" below the net pot. Both work no doubt but for a new grower I feel its a much safer option when they don't have a clue what to look out for.

I don't see any reason your entire roots are brown because the top inch are in humid air. That's just absolutely not the cause.

Yes bennies are a huge benefit i feel but they just don't exist in the water like its a barrier, they will like any bacteria make their into the media and upper root zone.

So IMO 1" below the net pot is good practice

Latest posts

Top Bottom