Deficiencies with H&G/Under Current?

• Thread starter deacon1503
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
deacon1503

deacon1503

:hi Ok, I have read though a bunch of threads on deficiency, even logic's main def. thread and I believe I have narrowed it down to either calcium, magnesium, zinc or iron. But to be on the safe side I think it might be best to ask advice on this since it's my first grow.

I have an 8 bucket, 8 gal UC using R/O (about 55 gals total) and the full H&G Aqua Flake "normal" schedule with some Humboldt Myco and a very small dose of SuperThrive thrown in. One 1000w Hortilux Super Blue per 4 plants (about 4' above top of bucket) and the nute solution is chilled with 1/10hp Active Aqua and holding steady @ 68F. Room temps are 72-78F and RH between 30-50%. Ph is always between 5.8 and 6.0.

The clones (1 AK Cheese, 1 Sensi Star, 2 Blue Agave, and 4 Diesel) were put in the system last Sunday (5-23) and have had 24 hours of light per day until today. All the others seem to be doing ok, slight yellowing on some. I started the nutes off at a "pre-week 1" concentration using only 25% strength (700 ppm/1.0 EC) to try and help with any shock.

AK Cheese
ak_cheese.jpg

Diesel #1
diesel_1.jpg

Any thoughts? There has been moderate vertical growth but the root growth has been INSANE on every plant, even at 25% nutes. A few of them had over 2" of new root within the first 48 hours. :banana:

I have a feeling it's a Magnesium def. but I haven't been able to find a concise answer to the question of "does the Aqua Flake regimen need a Cal/Mag? :mad0223: I know that for some, especially with R/O, this is a standard additive. Can TK or JackMay chime in?

On a side note, I mixed the "week 1" normal schedule today and it ended up at almost 1900 PPM/2.5 EC! Isn't that crazy high for such young plants? Is this just how the Aqua Flakes works? I'm kinda worried...

Anyway, please let me know if I left any info out to help with a diagnosis. Thanks in advance! :bong2:

L

Loudblunts

check your meters

your plant is suffering from alot of things.... upon first look the overnuted claw is apparent. but i see some potential pH problems as well.

infact, when you said you mixed up week 1 normal schedule... and you ended up with 1900/2.5 EC..... i knew right off bat your meter was suspect.

week 1 normally runs about 0.5-1.0EC (or is it 1.4EC? idk im stoned ill get back to you...but its not high at all) using aqua flakes, infact H&G wont ever run you 2.4 EC unless that is after some serious dosage of shooting powder and that will be towards the end.... i barely go over 1.6 EC with H&G

soooo upon conclusion... i would say a lock out that was caused by overnuting that was caused by a non/off calibrated meter

check your meters :D

;) hope this helps

deacon1503

deacon1503

Definitely gonna check the meter tomorrow...thanks Blunts.

budboy299

budboy299

Nutrient level seems extremely high within the pot too.....I'm not an undercurrent guy so maybe others could chime in. I think the level of the liquid is normally below the net pot or just touching. Yours seems to be drowning in it. This could be a problem as well

deacon1503

deacon1503

I recalibrated my Hanna 9813-6 this morning using the 7.01 and the 1.413 EC solutions. My EC was way high and the ph was a bit high as well. I adjusted as required.

On measurement, system ph was 5.4 so i raised it to 5.8 and the EC was reading at about 1.7 (1200ppm). Using H&G, is there really anything you can do to adjust EC? From my understanding after A + B are added, ph is adjusted to 5.8 (hydro) and then thats it. Add the additives and let the nutes do their thing...right?

And I did drop the water level down some, jic.

L

Loudblunts

adjust the EC how?

you can knock off a few mL if your soup is too hot.... or just add more water?

is that what you mean?

and yes, normal procedure for h&g is, pour in your base nutes with mixing them in between... pH that, then add your additives/supplements

L

Loudblunts

Lost you remember what first week is?

doesnt 1.7 EC still sound a lil high for his 'normal' feed schedule?

S

StinkyPete

Premium Member
Supporter
I agree with budboy, seems like your solution level is a little high. I'm currently running my UC about 1 in below the net pot and the ladies are lovin it, full hg line also.

L

Loudblunts

i ph'd up from 5.4 to 5.8 to stay on guidelines of the H&G hydro schedule. Is that correct?

i blv his point is that people stress too much about pH sometimes.... that our pH range is greater than people think it is and the stuff they state about non growth is a misnomer unless you are seeing a pH of 5-.0-4.0 and lower

deacon1503

deacon1503

I gotcha. Daniel @ UC warned me to let the system do its thing and try not to be to anal about everything, KISS i guess.

As I mentioned I lowered the water level to about the bottom of the net pot to rule that variable out.

Thanks for all the info guys! ;)

K

Kush321

If you are using ro water. You better be putting some magical in there. At least to 75 100 ppm.

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
Get the ppms down to 600-800 and i bet they do better.. A little benificials and some cal/mag for the RO water and can't have enough air stones...... I wouldn't adjust the ph unless it drifts below 5 or above 6 right now and it will settle in when the plant wants it.

deacon1503

deacon1503

Get the ppms down to 600-800 and i bet they do better.. A little benificials and some cal/mag for the RO water and can't have enough air stones...... I wouldn't adjust the ph unless it drifts below 5 or above 6 right now and it will settle in when the plant wants it.

I have some Myco right now, the Humboldt Myco Madness, bc my grow store was out of Great White, but the Humboldt Myco I'm just not sure about. I saw a pic of JackMay's Epicenter and it was super clean, mine is a mess. I know it's from the Myco. At this point I don't even think I'll finish the jar, just gonna go get some Great White.

Yes, I am running R/O, but I am NOT currently using a Cal/Mag. Gonna get some tomorrow for sure!

What is the best EC/PPM for the plants to be at per week? How is this something I can know of before I add the nutes for the week? It seems that just in following the H&G schedule the nutes will be too hot. The clones have only been in a week and I'm getting super paranoid that I might just be better off in replacing them. I'm not really thrilled with that prospect but i need to make sure that this harvest is somewhat succesful.

Thanks again guys! :anim_30:

vonwolfen

vonwolfen

I know this is a little of subject but why do some people use EC and others PPM..Is one a better or more accurate measurement or is it just the equipment you have.

deacon1503

deacon1503

EC is a standard, internationally i believe. PPM has two different scales. EC is just easier and more understood.

L

Loudblunts

I have some Myco right now, the Humboldt Myco Madness, bc my grow store was out of Great White, but the Humboldt Myco I'm just not sure about. I saw a pic of JackMay's Epicenter and it was super clean, mine is a mess. I know it's from the Myco. At this point I don't even think I'll finish the jar, just gonna go get some Great White.

Yes, I am running R/O, but I am NOT currently using a Cal/Mag. Gonna get some tomorrow for sure!

What is the best EC/PPM for the plants to be at per week? How is this something I can know of before I add the nutes for the week? It seems that just in following the H&G schedule the nutes will be too hot. The clones have only been in a week and I'm getting super paranoid that I might just be better off in replacing them. I'm not really thrilled with that prospect but i need to make sure that this harvest is somewhat succesful.

Thanks again guys! :anim_30:

Great White will make ya res a mess too, imnsho..... idk it just doesnt dissolve all the way down, but i guess its not supposed to... guess thas the grit/colonies...but i still like it

there really isnt a 'best' EC/ppm for plants. that word is relative. You will have to learn your plants.

The h&g chart is not hot... following it will give you direction. You dont have to follow it, but the folks who I have seen, try & cut the formula in half, try to modify it too much....are the ones i've seen suffer big nutrient deficiencies then they wonder why and i get to say 'i told ya so' :rasta:

with that said... i pretty much follow the chart ( ) to a tee... and if im paranoid or something, ill just add like maybe 1 or 2 gallons over my reservoir size.. and that will dilute it some.

Also these nutes are very stable and concentrated. Once you set your pH for the week, they are solid, rock solid

L

Loudblunts

I know this is a little of subject but why do some people use EC and others PPM..Is one a better or more accurate measurement or is it just the equipment you have.

EC is a standard, internationally i believe. PPM has two different scales. EC is just easier and more understood.

PPM is the guesstimation of EC

some people use EC because they know better or thas their preference.... and others use PPM cuz thas the meter their 'mentor' used or they see everybody else using it.

here is a good article on the subject:

http://www.getbluelab.com/Support/Understanding+what+ppm+scale+to+use.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom