Deficient plants in coco

• Thread starter BudGoggles
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

LEDNewbie

If you don't think you can win with the tea then get some Aptus BioShark. Expensive but it seems to work. I've hit my coco twice with it and haven't seen a gnat yet!!!! Billy at Aptus says they applied it twice in veg two weeks apart and it kept gnats away for 5 months!!!! Dutch touch swears by it. All natural product as well. That's the route I would go....,

BudGoggles

BudGoggles

The fungus gnats are slowing down big time. but theres another mistery. I have some crazy eco system going on in the coco

So look what I find today, Hypoaspis miles sucking on a baby herman. I know the hypo miles are good and herman was killing gnats babies. So now I have the a chain of killers. Im not sure what to do.
I really dont want to nuke em at 35 days bloom, its f--king crazy and I hate bugs but these seem good

This is what I found today
Bug3

Bug4

There was hundreds of hermans on the sticky traps along with the hypo miles

Seamaiden check out my thread and see what the plants look like on top

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The fungus gnats are slowing down big time. but theres another mistery. I have some crazy eco system going on in the coco

So look what I find today, Hypoaspis miles sucking on a baby herman. I know the hypo miles are good and herman was killing gnats babies. So now I have the a chain of killers. Im not sure what to do.
I really dont want to nuke em at 35 days bloom, its f--king crazy and I hate bugs but these seem good

This is what I found today
View attachment 312883
View attachment 312884

There was hundreds of hermans on the sticky traps along with the hypo miles

Seamaiden check out my thread and see what the plants look like on top
I'm gonna channel The Beatles for a moment while I laugh, because that shit I bolded is quote-worthy. I know you're feeling pressure, but for all you know the hypoapsis mites are helping you, too. Hypo miles...? You're doing this from a mobile device, aren't you? Ahhh... the comedy gold inherent in auto-correct!

Oh.. man, that took a minute, gotta clear my head. Nothin' like a good laugh early in the morning! You know what? My first question is this--how are the plants looking, in your opinion? That's the most important thing to me, and the first thing I always look to. If they appear to be responding well, recovering, whatever, more positive, then I think you should take a bit of a 'wait and see' approach for the moment. I wish I knew more about soil invertebrate identification, but there's gotta be a good resource of info out there somewhere, just have to figure out what the best direction is. In fact... what if you sent those photos to your local county ag extension, tell 'em you've got these bugs in your Solanaceous starts? Peppers & maters.

It's fucking brutal down there.

The Krinken

The Krinken

hypoaspis miles - he's got it right - thats what they're called...they're soil mites - predators who love fungus gnat larvae

whoever the manufacturer you're buying your coco from is putting those hypo miles in there...totally harmless and they'll never go up the plant without turning around about 2 inches up the stalk...

that herman thing - thats a thrip...they'll eat those too...

House and Garden base nutes suck....especially in straight coco - if you can find the nutrifield coco a & b, i highly recommend it - you dont even have to add cal-mag - they got it covered like a base nute should

The Krinken

The Krinken

sure looks like a little thrip....by the way - great pictures...put some more up if you got em...but if you dont have any damage i wouldn't sweat it.... what brand coco are you using?

but yea the H&G coco a & b sucks for straight coco - it drove me nuts for a little while some time ago...glad you got that part solved

BudGoggles

BudGoggles

I agree the h&g cocos is shitty. Aquaflakes is running smooth.
Im running botanicare coco. The shop gave me a bag if royal gold to try so gonna give that a shot next. I guess its pasteurized and I like that idea

The Krinken

The Krinken

wow - well thats not right ...some people use coco just for the simple fact that it doesn't usually ever have bugs

ive never bought a bog of coco that had bugs - soil yes - but coco no - i mean it can happen for sure, but if they gotta add hypo miles where they bag it up, they've gotta problem

i think its fucked up and i would never buy there coco again if i was you - there's alotta good coco coir out there nowadays too

BudGoggles

BudGoggles

Im done with it. Just potted up with some H&G coco and royal gold coco. Not much of a selection around my parts.
I like the look and feel of the royal gold drainage in killer as well

OGONLY

OGONLY

I've used Botanicare coco almost exclusively for a while and have never had bugs from it. I use the "premium high pith coco coir" in the green bag. I find that it is basically the same consistency as Canna for cheaper. I think I may go Canna from now on after hearing what you said about bugs in your Botanicare.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I agree the h&g cocos is shitty. Aquaflakes is running smooth.
Im running botanicare coco. The shop gave me a bag if royal gold to try so gonna give that a shot next. I guess its pasteurized and I like that idea

royal gold is really great stuff, I've run the tupur before and it's PERFECT if you wanna feed every day and it's really hard to overwater plants in it. Just open the bag, shake in some hypo miles (lucky you) and bennies and you're good to go! Like most coco products it does well with the first water in just being calmag.

BudGoggles

BudGoggles

The consistancy of the botanicare has been all over the place. Im finding stick, plastic, rocks and plastic. To top it off its ground up even more and a different color. Not good

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

i've found lots of stuff in bags from every brand i've tried...anything you're getting at consumer level is bottom barrel stuff, literally scrapings. I've found southeast asian candy wrappers, giant pieces of treated wood, twist ties (lots of those), hard pieces of plastic, random scraps of plastic bags...Nothing is 100% there in terms of consistency but hey - at least they keep their recipes consistent.

The Krinken

The Krinken

royal gold is really great stuff, I've run the tupur before and it's PERFECT if you wanna feed every day and it's really hard to overwater plants in it. Just open the bag, shake in some hypo miles (lucky you) and bennies and you're good to go! Like most coco products it does well with the first water in just being calmag.

yup - i love tupur - but i use it to lighten my potting soil - i've mixed a 1:1 ratio of the vital earth potting soil with the tupur and its TITS - i think its the perfect mix to lighten a soil

i like the royal gold coco in the red bag also - its nice stuff...

Gold Label was the nicest ive ever seen - i wanted to brew a cup of it in my french press, thats how nice it looks...

also - the roots organic coco palms is very nice coco...

Top Bottom