Defoiliating During Flowering

• Thread starter jackwhite
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Maybe I should habe been more clear. "Reputable sources of science behind stripping the plant of its leaves for larger yields", not empirical observation.
There is absolutely no scientific fact behind defoliation and larger yield, for cannabis. Anyone can defoliate and claim...
Meanwhile.........farmers who KNOW , defoliate for larger yields.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I also have done almost full defoliation in flower as well.
Here's the progression

Plants at day 2 after flip.

Defoliation at day 1 of week 2

Now progression pics from week 2 to the end of flower.
10 1

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
plants look good but hungry why???

The soil life was high so it had a lot of nutrient fixation. I've since learned to compensate by adding more feed.

Senescence also played a role.

The plants also were rootbound to the point of stalled growth. They had to wait too long between tent cycles. So they started losing foliage and stems changed colors. But after up potting in fresh soil, and given a few weeks to veg they regained health but I'm sure we're limited from it. Could have been better.

Along with having heavy feeding strains mixed with a light feeding gal. Was a tough balancing act.

Last edited:
tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

could of been crazy if feed right then would of love to see that

live n learn right!!!

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Removing lower leaves in veg (lollipoping) may slow overall growth, and could limit your yield, if done incorrectly. Removing undeveloped leaves will only limit G3P production, if the plan is to grow them to adult leaves. Eventually, those undeveloped leaves will "produce" more than "take", plant nutrients as they become adult leaves. If you're going into flower, and remove underdeveloped leaves, it redirects plant nutrients to the remaining growth areas in shoots and roots (with respect to plant stress).

If you remove Adult leaves in flower, it will have an adverse effect, and be completely opposite as mentions above. "Tucking" may have the same effect.
Yes tucking them out of the way has same result as taking them off the leaf is the plants engine room making carbohydrates for plant growth and development I remove the lower leaf and popcorn buds and leave all what's left on top again the leaves are the plants water transportation areas , here's the kicker if the plant dosnt need leaves to grow and convert light into carbs then the plant would grow without leaves in my humble opinion only remove the leaf if it's dead all this bunk about bigger yeilds it all boils down to size of the pot you grow in big yeild big pots . Here's a pic of my crop as you can see lots of health leaves and stacks of heavy heads again just my 2 cents . Rule of thumb if there's light stick a leaf under it you can't go wrong .

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

in the pics I see a lot of shade but if there is nothing under the top who cares??

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Once you defoliate the fans in flower. The leaves at the flower sites enlarge. Delivering the good stuff directly where you need it, in the flowers.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

so its it true that the bottom of a leaf does not take in light so no point in under lighting?

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
As far as I'm aware no , let's ask @Seamaiden see if she can shed some light on the subject.
Did you like my play on words ... Shed some light ...... To early for bad Dad jokes sorry ....

gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
If you want "bigger yield", don't remove what makes the buds bigger. Don't remove the leaves. Yes, all the information is there, in the videos. "Outside", "inside", doesn't matter..

Why you newer growers think defoliation is a good thing, is pseudoscience at its best. I posted larger name brands; Jorge Cervantes and Robert Bergman, so it wouldn't sound like my information, but clearly the fact that you don't know who these guys are, doesn't help.

Why would you think removing leaves helps growth? Wheres the logic, when 99% of all the photosynthetic activity comes from the leaf? Where do sugars come from, to grow more, when all the leaves are gone? Where do hormones come from, when all the leaves are gone? Where does the proteins and amino acids come from, when all the leaves are gone?

Don't be swayed by the illusion of appearance alone. I understand the bud looks bigger, and the burn or damaged leaves are gone, and only the younger (undamaged) leaves remain, but that's just empirical observation, and not real science. Of course it "looks better", as there's nothing to compare it to after you stripped it.

My advice to you is to stop listening to those garbage "schwazzing" videos, and instead, start watching the free college videos on botany.
I've more than double yield on og cuts by stripping hard 1 week before flower then week 3 yes the leafs give plants energy but indoors we force feed for the most part plus those leafs grow back fast I stripped this plant down to bare bones at week 3 and this was taken 2 weeks later
20170130 172631

dan1989

dan1989

If I had a dollar for everytime these so called pot authors were wrong in there books.......I wouldn't need to grow pot. I've seen defoliating most every leaf work like a charm. My low yields top 2 a light.....so people can take there "youtube jockey" status and shove it. That being said it is strain dependent. Every grow room is a different environment......only makes sense that every grow room will have its own set of parameters that need to be addressed. You can't dial in your room with a fucking book.....or youtube. It's called experience. I have taken and passed horticulture production and botany classes at collegiate level and I can honestly tell you I have taught myself way more than a text book will provide you. You can go to college your whole life and still be a moron when you step out in the real world with real problems.

So basically, like I said before, try it and see :D

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I understand and will give it a go my mind is always open to different techniques, and as far as I'm concerned you CAN teach an Old dog new tricks .

Top Bottom