Defoliation questions

• Thread starter Growing4Fun
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Growing4Fun

Growing4Fun

Should you defoliate during flower? Im entering the 3rd week of flower. Not seeing buds form yet. I could have started it too early... if thats a thing. ( 5 week veg after true leaves showed.)

The plant doesnt seem to be gaining any size lately and i was wondering if the growth is slowing it down. I dont want to stress the plant a whole lot and i am new to this, so any insight will be helpful.
Defoliation questions
Defoliation questions 2
Defoliation questions 3

Dan789

Dan789

No, never defoliate, here’s the only leaves I remove, those that are spent.

DB12A723 0247 4975 8F45 BC29AA66F3E4
Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
3 weeks in and not even a single pistil, yet?

Growing4Fun

Growing4Fun

Ive heard soo many people say defoliate and i hear so many. Also i seen these spots on 2 fan leaves. I moved my light up a bit and noticed it hasnt gotten worse so i think it was light burn.
20200222 174321

Growing4Fun

Growing4Fun

3 weeks in and not even a single pistil, yet?

My first time ive done it lol. I probably flipped it too early. The seedling popped and after it got 2 sets a leaves i put it in veg for 5 weeks. Today is the start of week 3 for flower i guess lol. I have it tracked down. I thought it was weird too.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
  • My first time ive done it lol. I probably flipped it too early. The seedling popped and after it got 2 sets a leaves i put it in veg for 5 weeks. Today is the start of week 3 for flower i guess lol. I have it tracked down. I thought it was weird too.
    plant from seed needs at least 2 months of healthy growth before flowering, the more mature the better it will be.
  • no don’t take of leaves for the sake of it, just ones that are more the 50% dying, even than the plant will discard once finished with it, during flowering, less disturbances are best!!

Growing4Fun

Growing4Fun

• plant from seed needs at least 2 months of healthy growth before flowering, the more mature the better it will be.
  • no don’t take of leaves for the sake of it, just ones that are more the 50% dying, even than the plant will discard once finished with it, during flowering, less disturbances are best!!

Word. I jotted that down for next time. I think the growth between the nodes is pre flower (correct me if im wrong.) That would explain the growthspurt it just had. Because its been about 2 months of growing. Thanks dudes!!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Word. I jotted that down for next time. I think the growth between the nodes is pre flower (correct me if im wrong.) That would explain the growthspurt it just had. Because its been about 2 months of growing. Thanks dudes!!
yes.
ok, the first say 2 weeks the plant will still be growing, no hairs or buds starting until about 3 weeks. so up to you, but no flowering nutrients till hairs start.

Growing4Fun

Growing4Fun

yes.
ok, the first say 2 weeks the plant will still be growing, no hairs or buds starting until about 3 weeks. so up to you, but no flowering nutrients till hairs start.

Yeah that was my plan. I got nutrients coming in on monday and my new carbon filter and fan on tuesday. Any tips on nutrients? Like feeding schedule wise?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Yeah that was my plan. I got nutrients coming in on monday and my new carbon filter and fan on tuesday. Any tips on nutrients? Like feeding schedule wise?
i’m sure you have a plan, nutrients are all ready either for veg or flower and maybe a mineral supplement, calmag and or liquid karma are pretty common.
myself just don’t start flowering nutes till you see some hairs.
other members should chime in with other ideas too.

Growing4Fun

Growing4Fun

Yeah. Ive seen that most choose to wait until they see some hairs, so im gonna do that. Also i got both veg and flower lights on.... should I just have bloom on since im in flower or are both waves needed? Asking alot of silly questions but how else am i going to learn lol. Ive heard 50 50 from people i talked to thatbi know so i figured id ask tha too for more input

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Yeah. Ive seen that most choose to wait until they see some hairs, so im gonna do that. Also i got both veg and flower lights on.... should I just have bloom on since im in flower or are both waves needed? Asking alot of silly questions but how else am i going to learn lol. Ive heard 50 50 from people i talked to thatbi know so i figured id ask tha too for more input
well my way would be for flowering is to keep the “blue” light in there for 3-4 weeks with the “red” light, than just the “red” light till the end.
but i know there will be different opinions and maybe better ways, so wait for a few replies from members.

Growing4Fun

Growing4Fun

Crazy. Your way was what i was gonna do. Ill stick to that then. Thanks alot man.

quirk

quirk

Should you defoliate during flower? Im entering the 3rd week of flower. Not seeing buds form yet. I could have started it too early... if thats a thing. ( 5 week veg after true leaves showed.)

The plant doesnt seem to be gaining any size lately and i was wondering if the growth is slowing it down. I dont want to stress the plant a whole lot and i am new to this, so any insight will be helpful.View attachment 944109View attachment 944110View attachment 944111

Remove? No. Better to bend, tuck and tie down to expose bud sites. Grommets work well on fabric pots.

DSCN2815 2
DSCN3197
Growing4Fun

Growing4Fun

Remove? No. Better to bend, tuck and tie down to expose bud sites. Grommets work well on fabric pots.

They were fan leaves covering bud sites. They were on like node 2 and 3. Just leaves, no bud sites on them. I removed them even though I wasn't going to haha. Figured they were just wasting energy.

Kepp89

Kepp89

They were fan leaves covering bud sites. They were on like node 2 and 3. Just leaves, no bud sites on them. I removed them even though I wasn't going to haha. Figured they were just wasting energy.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I do believe those fan leaves are the storage house for the plant. When you remove it, you remove that energy from the plants weaponry. And you stress the plant a touch because it doesn’t know why that route no longer functions. It’s like the plant runs a system check when an otherwise healthy leaf is removed from its system so it pauses the growth systems to figure out its new modified route.

Food for thought. It’s why defoliating is a 50/50 thing. You gain light at the expense of stored energy.

BrandedForLife

BrandedForLife

Look up schwazzing and 3lbs a light. Yes! Defoliation exposes lower buds sites that normally wouldn’t get enough light to grow

Top Bottom