Dehumidifier water

• Thread starter BudsAlive
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
I've used condensate water. YMMV. Some good points made about some wet environments and areas that have native pathogens that make it a bad idea. As for other contamination - I think that depends on the system and materials used. EC is a pretty good indicator about what ions are present - but ignore biologicals. A bit of chlorine bleach or UVB treatment should eliminate all but the most difficult to kill lifeforms.

I think its important to note that devices explicitly designed to dehumidify usually do not include materials that will leach ions into the water. Its all aluminum and plastic to avoid corrosion. Other sources that use copper plumbing to direct the condensate ( a ready ion donor ) are probably not usable.

added: I almost forgot about the one thing. Most natural water sources have a " buffer" that is essentially calcium and some other constituent ions that have some buffering effect for Ph stability. With DI water - there is no buffering and the ph balance becomes somewhat more precarious. Some folks here have probably seen the wild ph shifts that can sometimes happen when using DI water.

So - there. You find out by experimentation and trying to see what will work. Just don't bet your crop on it if you get especially emotional about shit going south in an experiment.

Last edited:
B

Burned Haze

I see all these members dissing it ( acting like dehumidifier water now is now gross/not workable )but, did you even read both articles ? Not dissing you guys but the 1st article was better written and it had facts and not not opinions per say? 1st article explained sooo much and showed what the regulation was for dehumidifier water.....( with very good testing done on can you use this kind of water and well explained why) metals and containment’s, are not a worry for growing , just shouldn’t drink ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I see all these members dissing it ( acting like dehumidifier water now is now gross/not workable )but, did you even read both articles ? Not dissing you guys but the 2nd article was better written and it had facts and not not opinions per say? I The 2nd article explained sooo much and showed what the regulation was for dehumidifier water.....( with very good testing and well explained why) metals and containment’s, are not a worry for growing .........
I don't disagree. That's why I said maybe if it's continuous drain. The reason I would treat it is because of my own experience. I had first hand pink mold in it. But that doesn't mean everyone will get it. Likewise those tests won't mean it's always good. I personally would treat it based on my experience. Others may or may not have to.

But when I was trying to find out what it was a quick google search shows its actually a pretty common problem

Last edited:
Dbear180

Dbear180

I havent been home all day so it's been on my mind what mine looks like inside. And it's exactly what I thought. This probably hasn't been completely cleaned out in over 4 months because when the res fills it automatically pumps out so it's not something I do regularly but I dont believe the res actually emptys it just becomes full & pumps out what would make it overflow.

20191220 211649

C'mon who's thirsty? 🤷‍♂️

GREEN GURNER

GREEN GURNER

I see all these members dissing it ( acting like dehumidifier water now is now gross/not workable )but, did you even read both articles ? Not dissing you guys but the 1st article was better written and it had facts and not not opinions per say? 1st article explained sooo much and showed what the regulation was for dehumidifier water.....( with very good testing done on can you use this kind of water and well explained why) metals and containment’s, are not a worry for growing , just shouldn’t drink ;)

I live in Scotland if i was in vegas a Wouldn't flex but damp is everywhere...Ive had to many heart breaker's like spidermites & wee beasties that lined up at my root's like it was dining table s#!t u not that broke me it snapped me like a twig !! Cheap soil was to blame An thats with new tents an fans pretty much every 12-18 months 6" fans don't last anyhoo good day sir

BudsAlive

BudsAlive

I live in Scotland if i was in vegas a Wouldn't flex but damp is everywhere...Ive had to many heart breaker's like spidermites & wee beasties that lined up at my root's like it was dining table s#!t u not that broke me it snapped me like a twig !! Cheap soil was to blame An thats with new tents an fans pretty much every 12-18 months 6" fans don't last anyhoo good day sir
Scotland? The Highlands?😊

HighestCut

HighestCut

sorry to bump an old thread, but i searched this topic.

I have dumped the old water from DH into my yard and within a month all the grass there was dead. Strongly suggest avoid using this water!! Great idea to re use the water, but don't think it is good for the plants.

Dan789

Dan789

All this discussion along with the flu, got me reflecting on the haunta-virus a few years back that was afflicting people in the west, supposedly through rat and mouse droppings. With the work I used to do before retiring (as an Electrician), it’s a wonder I didn’t die screaming with all the mouse and rat shit I’ve unknowingly wallowed in while working up in other peoples attics pushing the insulation around and out of the way, putting in the occasional receptacle or ceiling fan...But in all seriousness just got word someone dropped dead from this (corona-virus) a few miles away, so all this science shit isn’t nothing and we should all do everything as right as we can. I’m going to clean that dehuy reservoir soon...

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
In my opinion and experience over the years with involvement in everything from small personal grows, nurseries, large illegal and legal commercial medical/recreational grows, using Dehumidifier water is fairly common practice. A lot of this depends on how clean the environment is, where it was collected, of course. But in most professional grow ops, we try to run as sterile as possible, thoroughly cleaning every square inch of a grow room, equipment, even dust off of the light hoods, everything. So pathogens aren't really much of an issue and this practice saves a lot of people money so it's not as uncommon as you might think.

Not saying it can't be a bad thing, though. I wouldn't use dehumidifier water from someone's house who smokes and doesn't clean up much, things like that. I would probably drink DH water in an emergency situation if I had no other choice but I wouldn't drink it on a dare, either. 😄

Newbieleaf

Newbieleaf

I used dehumidifier water on my last grow I won't be using it again to water as she ended up infested with nematodes and spring tails and unsure what type of nematode was in the coco though. As with the previous post I guess it all depends on how sanitized the area you have the dehuey, the water I used was from a high traffic room with a pet so just shows what can actually go into the water. An with the mixed response when it comes to recycling it some with success some totally against it, but I wouldn't recommend using it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom