desperately In need of advice!

• Thread starter ayeob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Insainvillain

Insainvillain

i will look into these, does the run off have to drip into another container?

mine just drains into there and the bottom of the pot sucks it back up. is that bad?
I’m no pro but I’ve never been a fan of letting a plant sit in run off. It’s like waste so I don’t let my plants sit in it. I put cat litter bins as a drain water catcher. I water/feed and wait about an hour and remove the runoff. I like to put about a qt of water first to soften the medium and then the normal watering/feeding.

Insainvillain

Insainvillain

well i had some but they were too small to fit my pot so i just ordered the ones @elusiveshame sent me, should be here by friday.

so i am assuming it’s bad to let the run off sit there until it’s soaked up, how come? just curious
It’s like a human. You eat, you poop, and repeat.

ayeob

ayeob

It's about aeration of the bottom of the fabric pot. The roots benefit from gas exchange with the atmosphere. They also like low soil moisture. So aerating from the bottom is beneficial for the plant.
ahhh okay, that makes sense. my last grow never had aeration at the bottom…but not anymore lol i have some coming friday. i was unaware that it was beneficial to the plant to have it.

E

elusiveshame

lol i gotcha so all the run off is just excess and not needed?

so i’m assuming it damages the roots then?

If the roots are sitting in stagnant water, they begin to rot. You also need air flow under fabric pots like @BigBlonde said.

ayeob

ayeob

If the roots are sitting in stagnant water, they begin to rot. You also need air flow under fabric pots like @BigBlonde said.
when i get the stand it is okay if i put it in the round plastic catcher so the water drip into there right? as long as there’s airflow underneath the pot.

Insainvillain

Insainvillain

when i get the stand it is okay if i put it in the round plastic catcher so the water drip into there right? as long as there’s airflow underneath the pot.
You can but the catcher has to be bigger/wider than the stand to allow air flow.

ayeob

ayeob

Yes thats what you want
okay cool! guess i got lucky with my last grow by not having one. can you send a pic of what yours looks like
You can but the catcher has to be bigger/wider than the stand to allow air flow.
okay yeah if it’s not i can just find something else. maybe something like you have to catch the excess water. could you also send another pic of what yours looks like?

Insainvillain

Insainvillain

okay cool! guess i got lucky with my last grow by not having one. can you send a pic of what yours looks like

okay yeah if it’s not i can just find something else. maybe something like you have to catch the excess water. could you also send another pic of what yours looks like?
Top pics are before I added the sturdier plastic bins. Basically I just built a 40x20x18 platform and lined the top with some chicken wire. Left enough space under for the bins to slide in and out with ease. I’ll try to get a better pic in a little while when my lights kick on.

2B1BAA59 6728 42F4 A8AA 0FCAAE034637
4A86C83A 8A3B 449F 95AF E2728675F2BD
E5CEAFDA 6B96 4874 9CDB 922BAD142327
1EA98788 4AA0 4142 8444 2F6FFE7D1DDB
752C636A BEB7 4BE5 A121 5FB44F126C5F
E

elusiveshame

I don’t even have a saucer under mine. The water will evaporate since I don’t flood my plants (and sometimes I just pull them out to water instead). The important thing is the airflow

I’ll go snap some pics of mine for ya.

E

elusiveshame

8CD51C42 70DD 4A2F 9EA3 3FAFE7FB5655

I use a smaller version for my 3 gallon fabric pots (with no bases, mainly because i don’t have saucers that will allow for airflow)

I could do similar as my other tent:
FF064B9B C750 4B7A AE1C 16331FE29CD9

But I don’t see a need to fabricate the smaller risers since I’m not auto feeding them.

Last edited:
ayeob

ayeob

Top pics are before I added the sturdier plastic bins. Basically I just built a 40x20x18 platform and lined the top with some chicken wire. Left enough space under for the bins to slide in and out with ease. I’ll try to get a better pic in a little while when my lights kick on.
okay i see what you got going, i think i can make something to make the airflow better. especially when i get those stands

View attachment 1325909

I use a smaller version for my 3 gallon fabric pots (with no bases, mainly because i don’t have saucers that will allow for airflow)

I could do similar as my other tent:
View attachment 1325908

But I don’t see a need to fabricate the smaller risers since I’m not auto feeding them.
okay nice! and that’s what that string is right? it auto feeds your plant?

Insainvillain

Insainvillain

A2ADD881 39E5 4A9A B4CB 87499CB5E0D3
E8D7B9D7 F399 4BA8 846F 9E0936935049
Top Bottom