desperately In need of advice!

• Thread starter ayeob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ayeob

ayeob

Yeah, I saw you have your current method in play. I just cracked a fat bud I harvested last summer and it smells fantastic. I store my jars in that fridge too. Some may say it’s too cool but it seems to really preserve the terpenes etc.
so last harvest my stuff dried to quick and had harsh smoke so i’m trying to avoid that again this time. how cold do you have that fridge you store your stuff in? is it better to store it in the fridge?

Mothman

Mothman

so last harvest my stuff dried to quick and had harsh smoke so i’m trying to avoid that again this time. how cold do you have that fridge you store your stuff in? is it better to store it in the fridge?
If I were buying a small amount I wouldn’t bother. But with multiple jars I think it’s a great method for longer term storage. Plus it’s dark, another benefit. I plan to do it the same way on this current grow. Not sure what the temp is, but the cold doesn’t seem to have any ill effect. I go as warm as it allows while in bags, then once it’s jar cured, I turn down the temp to normal fridge temp.

You can try it both ways and see what you prefer. It’s not too dry or harsh, that’s for sure.

Mothman

Mothman

62* seems to be the sweet spot for storing cannabis.
Thanks, I’m well below that. But if not there, next coolest place is the living space and that’s about 76 in summer. What are the respective downsides to storing 14 above vs. about 22 below that sweet spot?

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I’m no expert but I've had good results with paper bag drying in my garage beer fridge.

Grocery bags, each with a couple ozs of buds on stems that have been through partial tent drying. Give em space inside the bags (I crisscrossed the stems corner to corner) and close the bag.

Turned the fridge as warm as I could, then every day or two I’d open, air out, and lightly toss the bag contents before putting them back in. It’s a good low-n-slow technique. Eventually I finished the cure in jars with humi packs using techniques already mentioned. Excellent flavor and aroma retention.

BTW, I used 62% humi packs and felt the buds were a bit too moist. I ordered some 58% packs for the current grow.
View attachment 1341942
Gunna give this a try next harvest 😁

ayeob

ayeob

If I were buying a small amount I wouldn’t bother. But with multiple jars I think it’s a great method for longer term storage. Plus it’s dark, another benefit. I plan to do it the same way on this current grow. Not sure what the temp is, but the cold doesn’t seem to have any ill effect. I go as warm as it allows while in bags, then once it’s jar cured, I turn down the temp to normal fridge temp.

You can try it both ways and see what you prefer. It’s not too dry or harsh, that’s for sure.
the cold doesn’t leave the buds wet when you bring them out?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Take nicks advice but I burp mine over 61-62%

First 5 days like nick said they’ll climb fast some days I had to burp 2-3 times the first day or 2 then down to once a day, then it’ll be slower each day till it stays steady
don’t be putting undried buds in fridge to smoke later..

ayeob

ayeob

don’t be putting undried buds in fridge to smoke later..
no i don’t think i will do the fridge technique cause i don’t full understand it.

i burped my jars this morning for about 5-10 mins each the highest one was at 62 not they all went back to 50. they definitely feel less crispy and i don’t really smell the hay smell anymore

ayeob

ayeob

had a thought, the last grow and this one i got the seeds from the same person, and i think both might have bad genetics. but i got this weed from the dispensary and i found a few seeds in the bud, was thinking about using those. are those seeds able to been grown? like are the a female seed? cause if so i feel like that seed would have better genetics. thoughts?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
had a thought, the last grow and this one i got the seeds from the same person, and i think both might have bad genetics. but i got this weed from the dispensary and i found a few seeds in the bud, was thinking about using those. are those seeds able to been grown? like are the a female seed? cause if so i feel like that seed would have better genetics. thoughts?
it’ll be hit or miss or something in between..
and also depends if the seed was able to mature or not.. try it on the side but get some descent genetics to start at the same time..
geez where are you located i could send you a few seeds,

ayeob

ayeob

it’ll be hit or miss or something in between..
and also depends if the seed was able to mature or not.. try it on the side but get some descent genetics to start at the same time..
geez where are you located i could send you a few seeds,
i’m in Northwest indiana kinda close to chicago and michigan

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Go with known good genetics, makes a world of difference!

Mothman

Mothman

They aren’t wet when they go in the paper bags, but have given up significant moisture while hanging on stems. Then the fridge bags do a good job of slowing down the end of the drying process and redistributing the remaining internal moisture from deep within the buds into the paper, where it’s released into the air in the fridge.

The fridge gradually removes excess humidity from the air. The stems are removed at some point—not sure if there’s a preferred moment for this. The slow/cool process takes some time, so not ideal if you’re itching to use your crop.

I think the low-n-slow drying while bagged, along with periodic removal and airing out, helps preserve the aromas (and presumably the flavors), my primary motivation.

Using the little mini-hygrometers to monitor RH once they go into jars is important. I also wouldn’t try this without having at least an 8 gram humi pack (58-62%) in each partially filled quart jar of buds.

Essentially I’m adding a step to the traditional curing process. I was nervous when I did it, but the results have been just what I’d hoped for: fragrant, fresh buds. Of course, your mileage may vary.

C41C9518 9C6C 490F 8877 4578BCFD95D2
ayeob

ayeob

so i’ve been burping my jars and the highest it gets is 64 then i’ll burp them for 5-10 mins till the hygrometers read 53-55ish then it shoots back up

they feel less crispy and some smell like grass but i think the flavor will come back in time

Top Bottom