Did I go Defoliation overboard?

• Thread starter NutNubie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MisterHelix

MisterHelix

Recently I learned a little bit about a hypothesis that radical defoliation in flower can cause an increase in leaf production in the inflorescence, leading to leafy bud and increased trimming effort, but I don’t know firsthand. Curious if anyone out there knows more about this.

Removing some foliage and selected branches to increase airflow in humid areas is a good practice, I think. That greenhouse looks humid AF to me, so, yeah. But I think leaving plenty of canopy is good, too.

coolslayer

coolslayer

Recently I learned a little bit about a hypothesis that radical defoliation in flower can cause an increase in leaf production in the inflorescence, leading to leafy bud and increased trimming effort, but I don’t know firsthand. Curious if anyone out there knows more about this.

Removing some foliage and selected branches to increase airflow in humid areas is a good practice, I think. That greenhouse looks humid AF to me, so, yeah. But I think leaving plenty of canopy is good, too.
I don't know the research, but your logic is sound and on point.

B

benjones

quite a lot of commercial growers i have seen on Instagram pluck every fan leaf at day 21 of flower

it seems to work well for them .

from what i have read on the many forums and websites, there still doesn't seem to be a definitive answer as to whether it is better or not. i remember reading somewhere that the defoliation of fan leaves produces a hormonal response which is beneficial to the growth of buds .

at the moment i am neither for nor against a large defoliation at day 21 of flower . it would be nice to see a side by side comparison in terms of yield and quality.

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

Plants feed both from the roots and from the leaves. From the leaves it get carbon.

Carbon is a macronutrient and forms about 45% of the structure of most vascular plants. It is available to plants in the form CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) which is taken in as part of photosynthesis. Photosynthesis converts atmospheric carbon to simple sugars using light energy in the presence of chlorophyll.

Carbon is used by plants to build leaves stems, fruits and flowers.

less leaves well exposed to light, less carbon, less growth don't make it more complicated than it is.

so whatever you do with defoliation you should always keep a canopy dense enough to get all the available light, if you don't and the light penetrate too much your not efficient with catching all the carbon possible. This is especially true with artificials lights.

Last edited:
coolslayer

coolslayer

HerbalEdu is the voice of reason......Cudos to you, sir.​

Top Bottom