did i prune too early ?

• Thread starter biggerbud420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
biggerbud420

biggerbud420

hey guys did I prune my outdoor plants too much or too early should I have topped them already on 2 of them I been doing some low stress training the one that has the tape around I broke it is tape back straight but theres a bend above where it broke from training
1st pi
IMG_20200531_161703964_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200531_161710934.jpg
IMG_20200531_161638844.jpg

wtfdaemon

wtfdaemon

I don't understand why in the world you would be pruning lower leaves like that. Was that actually deliberate pruning?

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

everything I have read or vids I have seen people were taking off the lower leaves my first time growing trying to learn . so did I fuk up my plants ?

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

I have not topped them yet so I should get more leaves

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

You havent ruined them but you shouldn't have removed that lower growth yet, thing is when you top at that size not only do you get two tops but the lower stuff you chopped off catches up creating a more even canopy

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

The reason you prune the lower stuff is when it's not getting light since your outside you shouldnt need to prune the bottoms of your plants at all, I would wait at least a week until you top, you can top as many times as needed but since your outside if it was me I wouldnt try adding in any other training techniques

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

The reason you prune the lower stuff is when it's not getting light since your outside you shouldnt need to prune the bottoms of your plants at all, I would wait at least a week until you top, you can top as many times as needed but since your outside if it was me I wouldnt try adding in any other training techniques
ok thank you

Ina

Ina

I suggest Leave them rest for a whilе,let them grow normally for now:)By the way i also cut all the one and three fingers leaves and nodes outdoors(because my plants are a little bit shaded and they grow taller so the lowest part just cause troubles near the ground),they are just too close to the ground in the end,touching it,getting mold easily......But in my case i dont top the plants and leave them grow with one top.........If you want to top them wait untill they develop nice.Dont cut leaves without purpose,you should know why are you doing it,otherwise they need them!:)
.Cut the branches that you left close to the stem to,not only their leaves after you already did that:)Anyway it is not a big deal but may be pointless.

teejacks

teejacks

i started my outdoor plants 3 months ago now. pruning the lower growth is the first thing i do to put energy into the top of the plant. ill prune the bottom 3-4 branches off. creates good air flow under your plant outside. once it gets to a certain height inside (3 feet) then i top it to let the bottom branches catch up. and continue topping all year. let the ladies grow. i've made 50 mistakes through 3 grows, you got this

B

Burned Haze

Only remove if yellow or dying or died . Which will make the leafs that have the real energy guratee a good cycle and not. To put any energy into something that takes your npk from and those ”yellow/ crappy” leafs will only be more susceptible To bugs and issues than the green leafs and such. Only time when I say do not remove yellow is when your whole plant is yellow and you need recovery it , I’m taking about just the bottom of the plant or just a small portion % ( nitrogen is super easy to get into Intaked the plant and you can even foliar spray it as well and get it on all parts of the plant ASAP if you want with foliar vs drench )

wtfdaemon

wtfdaemon

i started my outdoor plants 3 months ago now. pruning the lower growth is the first thing i do to put energy into the top of the plant. ill prune the bottom 3-4 branches off. creates good air flow under your plant outside. once it gets to a certain height inside (3 feet) then i top it to let the bottom branches catch up. and continue topping all year. let the ladies grow. i've made 50 mistakes through 3 grows, you got this

Guess we'll agree to disagree, but that approach seems counterproductive to me. Lots of ways to grow these plants, but I believe it's pretty clear in my experience that cutting bottom branches sets your growth back from what it could have been.

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

thanks for all the replies and advice its my first grow and I am learning and have a lot to learn

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

You might be confusing indoor training methods for space constraints that aren’t needed for an outdoor grow. Never remove fan leaves, they are solar panels for the plants. More panels = more energy!
I don't understand why in the world you would be pruning lower leaves like that. Was that actually deliberate pruning?
+1

teejacks

teejacks

Guess we'll agree to disagree, but that approach seems counterproductive to me. Lots of ways to grow these plants, but I believe it's pretty clear in my experience that cutting bottom branches sets your growth back from what it could have been.

completely right man these plants will grow and recover anyway you cut them. should have clarified that my technique should probably only be used when starting your seeds indoors and extending your growing season. Also for cold climates. chimed in to make this gent not feel so bad that he butchered his plant a little 😀 in my tight little closet indoors the lower branches dont see any love. even the bottom two branches of this one are little. trying new things every year and im going for the even canopy this year 👍

IMG 5529

Dr3wsky

Dr3wsky

You might be confusing indoor training methods for space constraints that aren’t needed for an outdoor grow. Never remove fan leaves, they are solar panels for the plants. More panels = more energy!
What about if they got damaged and yellow from overwatering / nutrient burn? (Images from my balcony grow). These guys went through some stresses and shock recently with transplant and outdoor training. (2 diff plants, first pic is VERY yellow lower leaves)
101330745 899625330449936 8037165643805491200 n
101215156 252123309348262 3404075569959141376 n

Top Bottom