Digital ballasts vs. Wireless internet

• Thread starter Third Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Third Man

I've heard that digital ballasts interfere with radio signals. Is it then a problem with wireless internet, so that a house using 1600 w of digital ballasts would scramble the wireless internet signals?

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
This error only occurred with the first versions of the lumatek ballasts, its been fixed now in the new model. Im using a new lumatek and i love it!

B

British_Hempire

WF interference would only occur if they had a problem with the shielding. One of the reasons ballasts come in metal enclosures is to stop interference. Also, the cable from the ballast to the lampholder needs to be of the shielded type, if it isn't you will get some interference. Adding a ferrite core round the bulb end of the wire would help attenuate this though.

S

Steve Zissou

my experience with the 1st and 2nd generation Lumatek digi 600's. So first off they put off interference. I lived in the middle of nowhere, and as soon as my lights kicked on it scrambled my dish network for 12 hours lol. moved out to the west coast and used the same ballasts. i had a comcast guy knock on my door and say that they picked my house out as having radio interference, i was taking out the whole blocks wireless everything lol. live, learn, then go get a sun system harvest pro ballast. ive heard the newer ones dont posess this problem but that tainted me from using them until the problem has been FULLY solved.

hubcap

hubcap

very odd considering all electrical equip designated for home use has to be tested and granted a UL rating. (IN the US)

if the ballast doesnt have a UL sticker, or rating, simply stated, its not safe.

very odd for something with such small wattage and no form of transmission to "scramble" satellite television tho.

radios i could understand. even wireless internet, IF the devices are in CLOSE proximity to the ballast.
but, honestly, if these things are occurring because of the ballast (and youve confirmed this thru tests) then id return it. Might even go as far as to sue the company IF the ballast doesnt have a UL rating.

those UL tests are designed to troubleshoot, and fix, problems such as this very one explained here, amongst others. if radio and or anything else in your home is getting scrambled because of your ballast, id look to replace it, asap. last thing you need is the fire dept showin up when you "ran to the store for 5mins to get butter" you know?
now, granted, a certain amt of "noise" is tolerated and factored into the testing and the results, but, this amt isnt enuff to scramble radio/sat/tele.
if the thing, imo, is scrambling cable and/or internet, what else is UNSAFE about it? would be my next question.

just my humble opinion. i tend to take the "safer than sorry" approach.

M

Mr.Wakenbake

I run 1k watts of digital goodness. A 600 w lumatek and a 400w lumatek.I also run wireless networking and i never ever have a problem. Digitals have come a long way, and information is very outdated on em online it seems. New digital ballasts shouldnt' affect your electronics man.

I have used mine for almost a year now with no problems. Go digital if you can. I reccomend Lumatek.

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
Ditto. Running a 600w lumatek and working on wireless internet right now.

T

todgerdelburro

the latest model purple lumateks are sorted and cause no problems, as others say it is a shielding issue, so just make sure you do not play around with the wire from ballast to shade.... it is not just ordinary wire, it is 'special' ;-)

budboy299

budboy299

If they come to your door.....have an answer ready for them. Nothing worse then standing there with nothing to say. small home welders sometimes interfere with signals so you could say something about "I have been doing a bit of welding the last few days" and I will have it checked out etc....

hubcap

hubcap

it is not just ordinary wire, it is 'special' ;-)

its ordinary wire. wrapped per wire, and then the bundle of wrapped wires, are wrapped again in rubber. ive dissected and extended em on more than one occasion (not recommended.)

nothing special about the power cords.

high bandwith carriers, such as tv/internet cable, are shielded with a dielectric because HIGH BANDWITH can cause noise. not electricty thru a cord. thats called [electrically induced] magnetic lines of flux. magnetics, at the home and SMALL industrial levels will not interrput tv/radio/OR satellite.

T

todgerdelburro

its ordinary wire. wrapped per wire, and then the bundle of wrapped wires, are wrapped again in rubber. ive dissected and extended em on more than one occasion (not recommended.)

nothing special about the power cords.

high bandwith carriers, such as tv/internet cable, are shielded with a dielectric because HIGH BANDWITH can cause noise. not electricty thru a cord. thats called [electrically induced] magnetic lines of flux. magnetics, at the home and SMALL industrial levels will not interrput tv/radio/OR satellite.

Apologies, that was what I meant by 'special' Mr H .... it is not just 2 or 3 cord wire ... IIRC it is called RF Shielding

Hopefully no farmers have been chopping their Digi ballast's wires up looking for anything 'special' on my account.

hubcap

hubcap

yeah man
just didnt want people to get confused and such.

also, its not recommended to alter the length to power cords for ballasts.
theyre designed to work within a certain range of length of power cord.

thats why you dont see 35' cords available. and in some cases, you just have to adapt, improvise, and overcome. but id never recommend it.

M

Magus79

yeah man
just didnt want people to get confused and such.

also, its not recommended to alter the length to power cords for ballasts.
theyre designed to work within a certain range of length of power cord.

thats why you dont see 35' cords available. and in some cases, you just have to adapt, improvise, and overcome. but id never recommend it.

hubcap, what are your thoughts on using a 30' lampcord? mag:cool0041:

M

Mr.Wakenbake

Magus if you want to extend the distance from ballast to shade i suggest paying the money and getting shielded wire. It will cost you more per foot but will save you headaches.

I wouldn't recommend extending the cords from ballasts to shade past manufacturers specification.I don't know the max range, but i do know the longer the line between light and ballast, the more loss of power, and the more inefficient it becomes.

Pay for shielded cable and whatever you do , BE SAFE!

hubcap

hubcap

I wouldn't recommend extending the cords from ballasts to shade past manufacturers specification.

-me either. ballasts are designed to work with a certain length cord. extending them can have adverse effects on a ballast.

I don't know the max range, but i do know the longer the line between light and ballast, the more loss of power, and the more inefficient it becomes.

Pay for shielded cable and whatever you do , BE SAFE!

shielding has nothing to do with it.
i has to do with impedence and loss of strength over a cables distance. copper, naturally has a minute amount of "resistance" if you will. this resistance will dampen a signal over copper wire, over distance. farther the distance, the more impedance (or resistance). directly proportional, if you will.
this, in essence is called impedence and isnt effected by shielding or any other covering to the wires.

magus....some ballasts even tell you a maximum cord length that can be used. look in the included liturature, or contact the manufacturer before extending the length of cords.
that being said...
the longer the initial cord that came with the ballast, is, the less you want to extend it.
sorry for the lame answer, but, short of saying "go for it" thats the best i can do, cuz, i NEVER recommened to anyone to extend their ballast cords.
if the cords get too long, impedence takes over, lessens the signal, which, in turn, makes the ballast work harder, shortening its overall lifespan.

A

ask420

I don't have a lot of technical jargon to try and support my statements, just good ole' experiances. I haven't had any problems.

H

highrise

Just wanted to add I have the cheepo 600 digital from HTG Supply and have had no interference problems with my wireless network.

hubcap

hubcap

hubcap, what are your thoughts on using a 30' lampcord? mag:cool0041:

shit famer magus, i missed your question...
my apologies offered.

if the ballast has an included cord, id use that length.
if it doesnt, i tend to purchase 25' and smaller....
what ballast and wattage are you running, magus? ill have, perhaps, a better answer for ya then....

-hub

and im with farmers ask420 and highrise, above.
no problems with interference. lumateks.
shouldnt be a problem unless soemthings defective, imo.

Top Bottom