Dirtbags Do-over... 🤪 Back to Organic!

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yes respiration is constant. But during light out respiration rates increase by quite a significant amount. This allows the plant to convert the sugars produced by photosynthesis into we will just call it energy and move it throughout the plant to facilitate growth.

Now depending on light intensity under 24 hrs the plant may or may not be able to keep up. Under low light there is enough respiration and processing of the sugars into energy that the plant may keep up since production is slower.

Under high intensity the plant will not keep up and transition from photosynthesis to photorespiration as it becomes saturated so that it can process the sugars made. This results in a reduced amount of net photosynthesis and growth.

So depending on light intensity you may be able to run 24 hrs but I do not suggest it.

i have seen growers with amazing grows use 24 hours veg under 1000 watt metal halide and they can get clones big in a couple weeks that way. Just have to keep up with the plants.

I dont think cannabis moves sugars and processes at night the way you said.

They grow (stretch) at night while using up some starch but the real growth and development is during the day.

I prefer 18/6 for some reasons but none are that the plant actually needs it.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yeah, me neither. Seems cruel. Cruelty doesn't produce good results (attack me all you want, authentic veal-and-foie-gras-lovers).

But the first part got to what I was curious about - thanks!

i agree it “seems” harsh because we are silly sensitive humans. But the plant doesnt care. Its just hard to meet their needs 24 hrs per day. And more light intensity increases the difficulty.

The rest of the info posted here about respiration increasing and such is not how the plant works as far as i know. Most indoor growers i have met in 30 years with big rooms that kept weed in supply all these years veg 24 hours.

And they all still do. I think t-5’s got popular because of what @Aqua Man said. They are a bit gentler and make 24 hr veg easier but almost as productive as a metal halide.

beluga

beluga

not sure what you mean?
Basically that power companies would track and monitor people with high kwh usage and determine at what intervals they used... if 18/6 or 12/12, they'd raise the red flag 🚩 and it'd be probable cause.

At least that's what my naive interpretation was as a kid with a 400w HPS.
Don't mean to speak for bud.

Oh, bud spoke in the time I wrote this... whatevs.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
That was my intended use, too.
Man, I used to get dumb about trying to match my 12/12 cycle with something else like a computer or whatnot.
Then I realized 400w is a whole lotta 🤭🤭

I used to run a place that maxed out about 190 out of a 200 amp service. 36 x 600 w lamps were on at any given time along with fans, pumps dehu and all that jazz.. Sometimes youd plug in something like an atomizer and it would trip the main breaker.. lol..

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You're not the first.
Just saying that if you're gonna pull say 50k watts total... Better to run it spread out. Like 10k 24hrs, 20k during the day flower, and 30k at night.

oh i see. Many growers do splits like that. Using a lung room and send the reconditioned air where its needed. A connect i had had 8 rooms going like this (4 day 4 night) in an old converted warehouse in north jersey.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Basically that power companies would track and monitor people with high kwh usage and determine at what intervals they used... if 18/6 or 12/12, they'd raise the red flag 🚩 and it'd be probable cause.

At least that's what my naive interpretation was as a kid with a 400w HPS.
Don't mean to speak for bud.

Oh, bud spoke in the time I wrote this... whatevs.

Everyone i knew just bribed the local power guys. Greed beats the law most all the time.

But i get it. The flipped rooms are so you can double production with the same wattage.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Everyone i knew just bribed the local power guys. Greed beats the law most all the time.

But i get it. The flipped rooms are so you can double production with the same wattage.

We had a guy back in early 2000's that worked for BC hydro and for the right price would install a transformer in your freakin basement lol.
Most of us just paid our bill. BC hydro at least has never cared about grow ops, as long as they make money. And grow ops in BC likely accounted for a fair chunk of profit for them. The dude i worked for would pay hydro bills bimonthly in person at the bank with stacks of newly minted $20's. Sometimes $10-15K in one payment.

Top Bottom