Dirtbags Do-over... 🤪 Back to Organic!

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Fudge Read post #273 just 6 plants he can't do past veg. Reaching a peak of 1500ppm at night. My co2 in y sealed room reaches 2500ppm from plant respiration alone at night. I know this cause im in 1 gal coco pots and no organic nutrients. Within 30 min the co2 set at 1000ppm is kicking on. Thats how fast they eat it when the lights come on

Fudge

Fudge

Yeah I have seen that. 50% organic makeup.... that huge plus an 8x8 room with 200-300gal of soil.... I can see that but its also not all soil respiration but plant respiration.

I would be curious to see the size, number and health of those plants.
I ws writing the same I notice no pics there back anything up. A picture speaks a thousand words.
I don't know enough to have a good opinion. I just couldn't help but start researching once I started reading this

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I ws writing the same I notice no pics there back anything up. A picture speaks a thousand words.
I don't know enough to have a good opinion. I just couldn't help but start researching once I started reading this
Looking at the links in that post.... this is the same guy???? Same vid links and claims then it proves he can't do it. But here he has been doing so for years successfully? Yest his posts also contradict this.

Its all starting to make sense why its considered animosity to him as I pointed out previously.

I'm all for advancement and agree there is a benefit to living soil and co2 production... just not to the point hmthe claims were made.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

"Approximately 65% of the carbon in organic material is given off as carbon dioxide due to microbial respiration." 50:11
Now your talking sense... organic carbon and 60% not carbon in the soil... big difference but now do the math on the actual per hr contribution of co2 from organic carbon (not literally) you would need to break down such a huge amount of organics to produce enough co2 to sustain adequate co2 levels in any normal sealed room. its almost impossible to procude enough to feed a decent amount of plants... unless doing it specifically for certain species seperate like exhale bags or yeast sugar etc. Or putting 1 plant in 300 gal of super hot soil.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Impossible huh?
Because you say so?

1 plant in 300 gallons? Don't believe everything you read at that Marxist shithole at rollitup, or did you read it wrong.
Hot soil? with a cup Soybean meal ? hmmm sure

I use 40 gallon fabric pots which is about typical for soil (slightly large)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Impossible huh?
Because you say so?

1 plant in 300 gallons? Don't believe everything you read at that Marxist shithole at rollitup, or did you read it wrong.
Hot soil? with a cup Soybean meal ? hmmm sure

I use 40 gallon fabric pots which is about typical for soil (slightly large)
So don't believe your thread over at riu? That's your thread... even your avatars are the same. Links you provided are the same...

I said almost impossible not impossible but also not realistic.

I'm done, nothing to gain for anyone discussing it further. If it works for ya great but I think this is one of those... looking for some new unicorn as a claim to fame deals. So rather than argue ill just drop it. Not here to argue and you cant seem to answer questions but rather just plug links. This tells me you probably don't have the understanding that you think you do for the application you are attempting.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

They both take up space so yes they can block each other.
Not sure what ya mean? They are independent of eachother adding one does not displace the other... add more co2 does not mean there is less oxygen. They are also used up independently so one may be depleted but that does not increase the others concentration. Now you can displace gasses by removing one. But if no gases are exchanged in a sealed room or environment like soil then one has no effect on the other

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Not sure what ya mean? They are independent of eachother adding one does not displace the other... add more co2 does not mean there is less oxygen. They are also used up independently so one may be depleted but that does not increase the others concentration. Now you can displace gasses by removing one. But if no games are exchanged in a sealed room or environment like soil then one has no effect on the other

I think you are thinking of a sealed room with gases mixed together in a homogenous gaseous solution. I am talking about an air pocket in the soil which if c02 is released it can fill that space pushing the oxygen rich air out of that space. But this is not the point, it was just an extreme example of how much co2 can be released by decomposing carbon.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think you are thinking of a sealed room with gases mixed together in a homogenous gaseous solution. I am talking about an air pocket in the soil which if c02 is released it can fill that space pushing the oxygen rich air out of that space. But this is not the point, it was just an extreme example of how much co2 can be released by decomposing carbon.
Very dependent on the soil density. If this were to actually happen it would become anaerobic and the microbes would die. Aerobic microbes need o2 and if the soil is not aerated well enough then the microbes and plants will deplete the o2 and they will die.

How much co2 produced is dependent on respiration rates and population. Basically the more o2 rich the media the better the rate of respiration and health of the microbes.

Of course many other factors like salinity, ph and temp affect that too.

But if a soil is displacing o2 you probably not gonna grow anything in it including aerobic microbes since they need o2 to reapire and produce co2

beluga

beluga

Ok sorry but gonna jump out of this convo and add organics back to my list of avoidance along with ph perfect nutrients. I should prob add LEDs to it also lol.

Sorry @Dirtbag for the mess I made here.
For the record, I appreciate your contributions.

I think we're all on team 🤷‍♂️ and you're a captain taking us more towards 🤔🧐.

Application and volume is often not taken into consideration in these discussions and it's great to have someone insisting relative statistics.
Earth and mini-Earth-replica are very much not the same.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Very dependent on the soil density. If this were to actually happen it would become anaerobic and the microbes would die. Aerobic microbes need o2 and if the soil is not aerated well enough then the microbes and plants will deplete the o2 and they will die.

How much co2 produced is dependent on respiration rates and population. Basically the more o2 rich the media the better the rate of respiration and health of the microbes.

Of course many other factors like salinity, ph and temp affect that too.

But if a soil is displacing o2 you probably not gonna grow anything in it including aerobic microbes since they need o2 to reapire and produce co2

Yeah, remember this example was a row of hot compost. That's exactly the worry that it would become anaerobic and microbes would die, that's why they are monitoring it. And yes you wouldn't be growing anything in it at this stage. Like I said, an extreme example.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Ok sorry but gonna jump out of this convo and add organics back to my list of avoidance along with ph perfect nutrients. I should prob add LEDs to it also lol.

Sorry @Dirtbag for the mess I made here.

No apologies necessary bud. Ive enjoyed reading through the posts, its an interesting subject. But like so many interesting subjects, it seems like you need a frickin Phd with a masters thesis on the subject to comprehend it fully.. Im not even gonna try, Im burning through enough brain power trying to learn about mushrooms, no room for soil respiration at the moment..lol.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
For the record, I appreciate your contributions.

I think we're all on team 🤷‍♂️ and you're a captain taking us more towards 🤔🧐.

Application and volume is often not taken into consideration in these discussions and it's great to have someone insisting relative statistics.
Earth and mini-Earth-replica are very much not the same.

Ill second this.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah, remember this example was a row of hot compost. That's exactly the worry that it would become anaerobic and microbes would die, that's why they are monitoring it. And yes you wouldn't be growing anything in it at this stage. Like I said, an extreme example.
Yup totally makes sense bro... just don't feel we can quite make a soil that will adequately supply a room full of plants. Maybe someday that changes.

Or a compost bin in the room? Or the old sugar/yeast or exhale bags... all of which employ microbe respiration in a much higher and more stable manner. These are great examples of the power of microbes respiration. Unfortunately I don't feel it doable directly in our soil as of yet for the types of grows we typically see.

beluga

beluga

Tailor-made compost room that supplies a grow room?
Specific media, microbe, fungi, and plant root ecology that's geared toward CO2 production?
Pump it into a closed grow room?

You'd think I just smoked a fatty... but, alas, my pipe dreams require no pipe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom