Dirtbags Hydroponics Thread.

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
No problem it's all an adventure, I could go on for days talking about our travels on the Yucatan and elsewhere so forgive me for rambling on. I envy you in your location and it's fking cold here -15 yesterday. Its only a 4-5 hr flight, I could be warm. My wife says no we can't afford it... That's what credit cards are for honey lol... nope not this year. I'll have to wait for July to get that heat this year.
Bug spray if you're intent on Coba, Hot and sticky, not infested but mosquito's as you'd expect under the jungle canopy. We were walking and had just entered through onto the pathway and a guy on a bike came by with a bike backpack fumigating with a cloud of spray billowing behind him, Disappeared quick but it was an odd site and we still had some bugs lol didn't get them all.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Here's a few pics from the tulum ruins i took yesterday. This place doesnt seem to get much love but I have to admit we had a great time there. And the swim at the beach below the temple of the wind was amazing after sweating our asses off walking around. Temp peaked around 35 celcius yesterday...
20200215 110541
20200215 111828
20200215 120018
20200215 120200

20200215 110610
20200215 110809
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Here's a few pics from the tulum ruins i took yesterday. This place doesnt seem to get much love but I have to admit we had a great time there. And the swim at the beach below the temple of the wind was amazing after sweating our asses off walking around. Temp peaked around 35 celcius yesterday...

I love Tulum the water colours and setting on the sea is spectacular.

35C lol on a bike under the jungle canopy ooooh that would be adventurous. With 1000 tourists at a time coming and going. Not for me. Good idea to cancel.
If you're driving from close to Playa del Carmen there's a new highway to the Cancun - Merida toll road that cuts off the drive to Tulum then up to Valladolid. I haven't driven that new route but the C-M highway is a 2 lane flat clean straight fast nice road with only 1 stop between Cancun and the Valladolid turn off. A coffee / gas station with great coffee
Coming back into Cancun on that highway is fun when you enter into Puerto Juarez. It gets busy as fk with locals only on the roads, one way roads do not mean one way apparently and motorcycles will go between traffic the wrong way. lol I have 100% insurance coverage and enjoy the interaction in chaotic traffic. I've been through there numerous times, my wife hates it, I love it. the horn is your friend . lol

Last edited:
Moshmen

Moshmen

Yeah we have a rental car. We did the tulum ruins yesterday, tomorrow we plan to go to Coba and then on to valladolid on the 307. Gonna check out chichen itza Tuesday early in the am before the tour busses get there. Wed we head to Cancun to spend the last 2 days in the hotel zone before heading home.

When you say dangerous after dark off the main highways what sort of danger you talking bout? I have to admit I've felt pretty unsafe several times on this trip so far.
Felt the same way in Cancun couple years ago, I managed to persuade my wife to take a wAlk, we didn’t get to far before we turned around. Nice place to visit but we prolly never go back to Mexico
Have fun stay safe

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Felt the same way in Cancun couple years ago, I managed to persuade my wife to take a wAlk, we didn’t get to far before we turned around. Nice place to visit but we prolly never go back to Mexico
Have fun stay safe
I like Mexico, prefer it to Dominican or Cuba, Once outside of the resorts in the DR you're in the Ghetto, I've driven through the chaos in Santo Domingo and around to Puerto Plata and back. Its poorer than any part of rural Mexico that I've seen If you're walking the beach soon as you get past the guys with the shotguns the beach turns to shit.

Cuba they keep running out of stuff like beer at the beach bar before noon and cruising through the country staying in differnt locations is much more difficult than in Mexico.

For Us on the East Coast the prices are comparable and I prefer Mexico. If you want tropical Hawaii from the west but after a half dozen times there I need something more. Costa Rica was great 2 weeks in a 4x4 cruising the country but that cost too much from here now. Bermuda was fun for a week and driving a scooter on the left was fun too. Florida is great for a vacation, good weather, good food, lots to see and do.Prices are real good. Cheap booze, lots of beach bars.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Have fun stay safe

Not going to lie, I thought I was gonna get stabbed in PDC. We were leaving the beach and the wife and kids went into a restaurant to use the bathroom and I sat on the curb outside to put my shoes on.. This drunk Mexican walks over and put out his hand so I shake it, then he starts talking in spanish and I just said lo siento, no entiendo... No habla espaniol .. His eyes just glazed over and he got like an inch from my face and started yelling at me in spanish with his arms behind him and I was basically against the wall. Thankfully some random dude walked behind him and tapped his shoulder so he turned around and I just fuckin cheesed it. lol, ducked into the restaurant and didnt see him again. But the rest of the night I was clutching a bottle in my hand just in case. Never really felt safe in PDC from then on. Honestly this whole trip has been an even mix of people being overly nice in Hope's of selling us something, or looking at us like they want to kill us. Not a lot of love for gringos here at the moment I dont think.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Not going to lie, I thought I was gonna get stabbed in PDC. We were leaving the beach and the wife and kids went into a restaurant to use the bathroom and I sat on the curb outside to put my shoes on.. This drunk Mexican walks over and put out his hand so I shake it, then he starts talking in spanish and I just said lo siento, no entiendo... No habla espaniol .. His eyes just glazed over and he got like an inch from my face and started yelling at me in spanish with his arms behind him and I was basically against the wall. Thankfully some random dude walked behind him and tapped his shoulder so he turned around and I just fuckin cheesed it. lol, ducked into the restaurant and didnt see him again. But the rest of the night I was clutching a bottle in my hand just in case. Never really felt safe in PDC from then on. Honestly this whole trip has been an even mix of people being overly nice in Hope's of selling us something, or looking at us like they want to kill us. Not a lot of love for gringos here at the moment I dont think.
Ya PDC has changed, too many people. We'll stay at the Holliday Inn Express by the air port in PDC either the night we arrive or the last night leaving. Its clean cheap and easy access to the highway. There were a few great restaurants in PDC we liked but it's too much hassle getting in and out of town. The whole 5th avenue thing is one big hustle from end to end. I just smile No Gracias and continue they go onto someone else.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Ya PDC has changed, too many people. We'll stay at the Holliday Inn Express by the air port in PDC either the night we arrive or the last night leaving. Its clean cheap and easy access to the highway. There were a few great restaurants in PDC we liked but it's too much hassle getting in and out of town. The whole 5th avenue thing is one big hustle from end to end. I just smile No Gracias and continue they go onto someone else.
5th was the worst... Holy shit. Talk about walking a gauntlet of assholes. Its non stop, every 2 steps people in your face. One guy lol...Hey, remember me? Its Emelio your waiter from the restaurant! We havent been to any restaurants yet emelio but nice try...

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
5th was the worst... Holy shit. Talk about walking a gauntlet of assholes. Its non stop, every 2 steps people in your face. One guy lol...Hey, remember me? Its Emelio your waiter from the restaurant! We havent been to any restaurants yet emelio but nice try...
lol he knows everyone lol give you a good deal. they know the wrist bands on the tourists when they get there, when they're leaving or by the shade of your skin for how long you've been there. They know the difference between Mid west fresh meat and mid west fried and play the game accordingly.

You got through the timeshare gauntlet at the airport okay though and guy at the car dealership hustling timeshares?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
lol he knows everyone lol give you a good deal. they know the wrist bands on the tourists when they get there, when they're leaving or by the shade of your skin for how long you've been there. They know the difference between Mid west fresh meat and mid west fried and play the game accordingly.

You got through the timeshare gauntlet at the airport okay though and guy at the car dealership hustling timeshares?

Hahaha the guys flogging timeshares at the car rental place... Oh man. We had no idea, at first they said to just wait while they brought our car around and then started showing us maps and how to get around. Then came the sales pitches. We were like nah we're not really interested and started walking away. Hes like, what changed? Why dont you want to talk to us now? I was like dude, I just realized you dont work for the rental agency... Every second of this trip has been someone trying to milk us.

Tonight we had our car towed. Only one out of all the cars parked along the beach in tulum... So we start walking down the road to get a cab and wouldnt ya know it, 50 feet down the road is the tow truck with our car on it and the transit police parked behind. $4000 pesos to get it back. Apparently our tires were too far onto the road. Bullshit. I'll be honest it's getting exhausting trying not to get ripped off at every turn.

Ahhh... making expensive memories..
20200216 183600

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hahaha the guys flogging timeshares at the car rental place... Oh man. We had no idea, at first they said to just wait while they brought our car around and then started showing us maps and how to get around. Then came the sales pitches. We were like nah we're not really interested and started walking away. Hes like, what changed? Why dont you want to talk to us now? I was like dude, I just realized you dont work for the rental agency... Every second of this trip has been someone trying to milk us.

Tonight we had our car towed. Only one out of all the cars parked along the beach in tulum... So we start walking down the road to get a cab and wouldnt ya know it, 50 feet down the road is the tow truck with our car on it and the transit police parked behind. $4000 pesos to get it back. Apparently our tires were too far onto the road. Bullshit. I'll be honest it's getting exhausting trying not to get ripped off at every turn.

View attachment 941921
With the sargassum on the beaches and people getting the ripped off feeling at every turn the Mayan Riviera is going to shoot itself in the foot with the bad reputation. Beautiful spot but why return if its a hassle at every turn. We get out of the gauntlet and head south from the strip, never had a problem other than feeding the cops in Cancun. Google Mahahual and the Mayan Beach Garden Inn or Balamku. its just a few hours south and all that rip off stuff is on the strip.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

We go air only into Cancun, rent a car an get the fk out, head south a few hours and its a paradise on the beach $100 night breakfast included

View attachment 941921

With the sargassum on the beaches and people getting the ripped off feeling at every turn the Mayan Riviera is going to shoot itself in the foot with the bad reputation. Beautiful spot but why return if its a hassle at every turn. We get out of the gauntlet and head south from the strip, never had a problem other than feeding the cops in Cancun. Google Mahahual and the Mayan Beach Garden Inn , Balamku.r Maya Luna its just a few hours south and all that rip off stuff is on the strip.

Balamku Palapa
Mayan Beach Garden Inn
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
We will be doing things differently next time for sure. That place looks beautiful
We've stayed in these 3 places and Mayan Beach Garden Inn with their full meal deal is my top recommendation. Maybe a dozen guests, we had #1 right on the beach for 10 days, swimming in the sea steps from our room, fantastic food & the owners will go out of their way to accommodate.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
We've stayed in these 3 places and Mayan Beach Garden Inn with their full meal deal is my top recommendation. Maybe a dozen guests, we had #1 right on the beach for 10 days, swimming in the sea steps from our room, fantastic food & the owners will go out of their way to accommodate.

Honestly, our whole family being Vegan precludes us from a lot of the all inclusive stuff... And we dont want to have to cook for ourselves the whole trip either. We've had some awesome options for restaurants so far in Tulum and Valladolid though.

I had a pork taco earlier this trip and almost hurled... We tried to be flex, just isnt happening.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Honestly, our whole family being Vegan precludes us from a lot of the all inclusive stuff... And we dont want to have to cook for ourselves the whole trip either. We've had some awesome options for restaurants so far in Tulum and Valladolid though.

I had a pork taco earlier this trip and almost hurled... We tried to be flex, just isnt happening.

You went too far south. Plenty of vegans in southern cali.

Sorry about you next vacation in LA. ;-)

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
You went too far south. Plenty of vegans in southern cali.

Sorry about you next vacation in LA. ;-)
LA and Arizona was our original plan for a road trip to visit family and friends down there. One night in bed I said to the wife you know for the same money we could just go to Mexico? And here we are. I have no desire to go to LA..

Top Bottom