discoloration and damage at base of leaf

• Thread starter Ehdam
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thanks again for all the help. I did a slurry test for both the PPM and pH in the soil. PPM came in at 990 and PH came in at 5.4 that was after feeding them yesterday with a pH of 7 to try and get it up. Pretty much all of the plants that have that Browning at the base all their new growth the leaves are looking fucked up. please somebody help me fix this
if those were my readings I would immediately add Dolomite lime, maybe two tablespoons into a 3-gallon pot for a reference to size

In soil I always mix one level tablespoon of dolomite per gallon of pot size to begin with, and I haven't had a pH drop of any significance since I started doing this

however I have had worse readings than yours in the past, but I've never had the kind of damage that you have, in fact I've only seen this not even a handful of times, so it makes me want to know more about the soil you started with?

Ehdam

Ehdam

if those were my readings I would immediately add Dolomite lime, maybe two tablespoons into a 3-gallon pot for a reference to size

In soil I always mix one level tablespoon of dolomite per gallon of pot size to begin with, and I haven't had a pH drop of any significance since I started doing this

however I have had worse readings than yours in the past, but I've never had the kind of damage that you have, in fact I've only seen this not even a handful of times, so it makes me want to know more about the soil you started with?
I can't remember what it's called I'll have to look into it. It is soil made for cannabis the guy told me it's like sunshine mix on steroids

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I can't remember what it's called I'll have to look into it. It is soil made for cannabis the guy told me it's like sunshine mix on steroids
Check out Dolomite, I used some just this morning it's a great tool; I haven't had a single issue with low PH since, good luck!

Dr.B

Dr.B

Thanks again for all the help. I did a slurry test for both the PPM and pH in the soil. PPM came in at 990 and PH came in at 5.4 that was after feeding them yesterday with a pH of 7 to try and get it up. Pretty much all of the plants that have that Browning at the base all their new growth the leaves are looking fucked up. please somebody help me fix this
You can try adding two tblspns of dolomitic lime per gallon of soil to bring up the pH. Its not a fast fix though, takes a couple weeks and your plants are in rough shape currently...

Spread it on top of the soil and water it in to activate the lime.

Dr.B

Dr.B

You can try adding two tblspns of dolomitic lime per gallon of soil to bring up the pH. Its not a fast fix though, takes a couple weeks and your plants are in rough shape currently...

Spread it on top of the soil and water it in to activate the lime.
Oops, 2 tblspn/gallon is what I use in peat. Not exactly sure how much to add to soil. A tblspn per gallon shouldnt hurt though.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Oops, 2 tblspn/gallon is what I use in peat. Not exactly sure how much to add to soil. A tblspn per gallon shouldnt hurt though.
One level tablespoon per gallon of pot volume when I 1st mix up the soil

when I added to bring low ph up I water in 1 tbsp per quart until I get the pH where I want it by checking runoff

Example: in a 3 gallon pot if my pH was 5.4 I'd water in 2 level tablespoons in a half a gallon initially then check the run off before I added any more and next time you water you also would want to check the runoff to make sure that it's staying above 6.0

I also work a similar amount / ratio into the top inch or two of the soil, if I catch it progressively getting lower, but for fastest availability I would water it in, hope this helps!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Wood ashes provide a fast Ph up and provides a lot of nutrients as well. I have mixed a tablespoon or two in a gallon of water to raise the Ph slightly. Dolomite or other calcium based products are great but take some time to work. Quicklime is great but often too strong to safely use without a lot of caution. It's always best to have your soil prepped prior to planting to avoid issues like these. Not criticism, just advice to save you headaches in the future. I've made every mistake possible... after a while you stop making mistakes and produce a good grow... keep up the good work!

Top Bottom