Distilling your QWISO

• Thread starter Moe Danks
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moe Danks

Moe Danks

so i was making some qwiso friday night and something came up where i was leaving town for the weekend that night. so i didn't get to scrape all the dry oil out of the pyrex dish before i left. it was some extremely sticky. so anyways i left the bowl in the back counter of the this room thinking when i come home it will be super dry and ready to give it another good scraping. well when i get home the dish isn't on the counter, it's in the sink with a little puddle of water in it. my buddy was going to wash the dish, but for some reason never got passed putting a little water in the dish??? at first i was like shit my smoke. then my brain kicked in 5secs later letting me calm down realizing that thc is water soluble and i can just pretty evaporate the water out, just like i did the iso the first time around. so the qwiso got distilled pretty much giving it a more smother smoke and a new color. told my buddy about it, he really had no idea about it or wtf i did, all he knew really that it was good he didn't wash the dish, lol. but anyways the smoke on both are amazing, .01 on some skunk out the bong has you stoned as fucked walking around the house forgetting what you just forgot, going room to room trying to remember what your suppose to be doing, when all you really trying to do is find something to drink or eat. :wondering :D

Picture 003
P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
Sounds like you lucked out and learned something all in one! Thats cool that is is kinda double distilled now.

Moe Danks

Moe Danks

yeah it was a cool little mistake. and i do have to say they water made it much smoother and tastier.

S

Stackin Paper

Man thats so true, i walk upstairs to go do something and i get up there and i forget what the fuck im supposed to be doing, bugs me the fuck out every time.

Maybe this Cheese is getting me stoned still if its doing that to me, glad im not the only 1 too:giggle

S

So_CaL_Sativa

It makes perfect sense, the iso wash pulled the thc and a few impurities out of the source material. Once dried, the water soak pulled all the impurities out and left the thc. Awesome!

P

Piel

I´ve never had success with iso, the yield is small and the quality questionable. I´ve followed all the "do and dont´s but still...wish I could figure it out.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Cannabinoids are non polar and not water soluble. My best guess is that the hotter purge temperature of water, would have removed more of the mono and sesquiterpenes, which would have made for a smoother smoke.

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

distilling is completely different. you just let the water evaporate.

terpenes are non polar. basically, thc is fat soluble, and the junk is water soluble...so you could have dumped the water.

isopropyl picks up little thc and too much junk...and doesn't smell good. you'd be better off using everclear. acetone yields more thc, AND less junk (rick simpson style).

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

I´ve never had success with iso, the yield is small and the quality questionable. I´ve followed all the "do and dont´s but still...wish I could figure it out.

Its almost impossible to screw up. the key is soak time with iso.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

distilling is completely different. you just let the water evaporate.

terpenes are non polar. basically, thc is fat soluble, and the junk is water soluble...so you could have dumped the water.

isopropyl picks up little thc and too much junk...and doesn't smell good. you'd be better off using everclear. acetone yields more thc, AND less junk (rick simpson style).

I have to disagree. What are you basing your judgement on? Do you have experience with ISO? Everytime I make extract with 99% isopropyl it tastes, smells and looks the bomb. I also yeild the exact same as if I was using Butane. But the ISO has a nicer taste.

squiggly

squiggly

Furthermore, ethanol should be essentially no different from an isopropanol extraction, these are very similar molecules with similar solvent properties. Acetone is also quite polar and significantly more reactive than either of those. It absolutely will be reacting to give unknown products during any extraction. I use acetone in the lab to react with/strip off any residue left in reaction vessels, because it is so reactive.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Furthermore, ethanol should be essentially no different from an isopropanol extraction, these are very similar molecules with similar solvent properties. Acetone is also quite polar and significantly more reactive than either of those. It absolutely will be reacting to give unknown products during any extraction. I use acetone in the lab to react with/strip off any residue left in reaction vessels, because it is so reactive.

While agreeing in principle on acetone, I would like to clarify your first statement for those who have not yet tried both alcohols.

Ethanol and Isopropanol have similar properties, but Isopropanol is more reactive, so the soak times differ. I use three minutes frozen with Ethanol and only 20 seconds frozen with Isopropanol.

Isopropanol is also more reactive than the simple propanol (4 carbon chain Propane) alkane alcohol molecule that it is an isomer of.

Ethanol is a simple alkane alcohol, based on the two carbon chain Ethane gas molecule, with one oxygen atom added.

squiggly

squiggly

I only meant to say that we're going to be expecting similar terpene profiles with similar contaminants--I agree with your analysis, though.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

While agreeing in principle on acetone, I would like to clarify your first statement for those who have not yet tried both alcohols.

Ethanol and Isopropanol have similar properties, but Isopropanol is more reactive, so the soak times differ. I use three minutes frozen with Ethanol and only 20 seconds frozen with Isopropanol.

Isopropanol is also more reactive than the simple propanol (4 carbon chain Propane) alkane alcohol molecules that it is an isomer of.

Ethanol is a simple alkane alcohol, based on the two carbon chain Ethane gas molecule, with one oxygen atom added.

I was wondering about this ethanol, and bought some from the Drug store that says 90%, is this the right solvent for the job? I like iso because of the 99.9 factor. At a 20sec frozen extract i would have oil almost white. My Avatar is from 3minutes @ 72f.

squiggly

squiggly

I'd prefer the ethanol, personally. It's a shorter chain alcohol, which usually translates into higher stability and a lower health risk. Your body can fully metabolize it, so from my perspective I'd rather have it in me than isopropyl (in reality, it should be purged out--and it will mostly burn before getting inside you rendering the previous argument sort of moot).

You've got a lower chance of getting nasty stuff with a shorter chain still, though--in my opinion.

If you're ambitious you can obtain ethanol which is nearer to 99.9%, but you will need some ingenuity and an apparatus to do it. Vacuum distillation is an option--you might also look into using an entrainer (but I believe the most common one for this purpose is benzene, which should be avoided at all costs--there may be others). I do not recommend using everclear or anything similar. If you're going to, I would at least distill it over, or run it through a molecular sieve setup before using. Many would disagree with me here, and I concede it is just personal preference--although I believe there is a good scientific rationale for this, I bear no data or proof. Call it a hunch.

Isopropyl works fine--but I'd be really focused in on my purging process if I were doing extractions with it.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I was wondering about this ethanol, and bought some from the Drug store that says 90%, is this the right solvent for the job? I like iso because of the 99.9 factor. At a 20sec frozen extract i would have oil almost white. My Avatar is from 3minutes @ 72f.
More information needed on the 90% ethanol from the drug store. Not sure where you are located at, but for a drug store to sell ethanol in theUSA, it has to be taxed or adulterated.

I use a 190 proof 95.6% azeotropic distilled Clear Springs or Everclear, but use a three minute soak frozen, instead of 20 seconds with ISO

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

More information needed on the 90% ethanol from the drug store. Not sure where you are located at, but for a drug store to sell ethanol in theUSA, it has to be taxed or adulterated.

I use a 190 proof 95.6% azeotropic distilled Clear Springs or Everclear, but use a three minute soak frozen, instead of 20 seconds with ISO
Can you share some photos of your extractions? The finished product I mean.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

I'd prefer the ethanol, personally. It's a shorter chain alcohol, which usually translates into higher stability and a lower health risk. Your body can fully metabolize it, so from my perspective I'd rather have it in me than isopropyl (in reality, it should be purged out--and it will mostly burn before getting inside you rendering the previous argument sort of moot).

You've got a lower chance of getting nasty stuff with a shorter chain still, though--in my opinion.

If you're ambitious you can obtain ethanol which is nearer to 99.9%, but you will need some ingenuity and an apparatus to do it. Vacuum distillation is an option--you might also look into using an entrainer (but I believe the most common one for this purpose is benzene, which should be avoided at all costs--there may be others). I do not recommend using everclear or anything similar. If you're going to, I would at least distill it over, or run it through a molecular sieve setup before using. Many would disagree with me here, and I concede it is just personal preference--although I believe there is a good scientific rationale for this, I bear no data or proof. Call it a hunch.

Isopropyl works fine--but I'd be really focused in on my purging process if I were doing extractions with it.
what would you recommend as purging procedure for iso

Top Bottom