DIY Sound insulate your cannon fan

• Thread starter sedate
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Thanks for this Sedate......got my Dynamat today and going to install it tonight.....

I am so impressed with this. Installed the dynamat rather painlessly. My local audio store didn't have the wooden roller so I used a can.

Anyone who needs to cut the noise levels on there inline fan....This works awesome!!!:party0044:

N

nog

any ideas for muffling the sound of air pumps? ive got a few, the quietest is a JUN i cant seem to get these anymore, JUN just do bigger compressors etc nowadays, also REN are fairly quiet, but they can still be heard in the room beneath the grow, i also have hagen elite 820 they are supposed to be quiet but are loud, they put out loads of bubbles but i am reluctant to use them as they are so dam noisy they are doing nothing and i want to use them, so any ideas would be gratefully accepted.

S

STUPPA

any ideas for muffling the sound of air pumps? ive got a few, the quietest is a JUN i cant seem to get these anymore, JUN just do bigger compressors etc nowadays, also REN are fairly quiet, but they can still be heard in the room beneath the grow, i also have hagen elite 820 they are supposed to be quiet but are loud, they put out loads of bubbles but i am reluctant to use them as they are so dam noisy they are doing nothing and i want to use them, so any ideas would be gratefully accepted.

I got a little Hailea Air Compressor ACO-318 and found it to be alot quieter and less vibration than any of the air pumps i had before , but it still made a fair amount of noise so i put it in the loft, suspended it from the rafters with a bungee cord , and then fed the airlines down thru the ceiling where my ducting went thru .

But even after doing that i was still getting vibration from the airstones lying on the bottom of the tubs ! ,that was solved by either suspending them just off the bottom of the tubs or using those huge tennis ball airstones which did'nt seem to vibrate that much.

S

space101

Could Dynamat help with/silence the compressor noise of my 5k btu window a/c?

JollyGreen

JollyGreen

Thanks for this thread bro! I have done this to my fans and to my portable AC compressor, and it has dropped the sound in the room a few db's. Good Shit!

sedate

sedate

I always like replying to threads I started 4 months later. :)

Celtic said:
I am so impressed with this. Installed the dynamat rather painlessly. My local audio store didn't have the wooden roller so I used a can.

Anyone who needs to cut the noise levels on there inline fan....This works awesome!!!

JollyGreen said:
Thanks for this thread bro! I have done this to my fans and to my portable AC compressor, and it has dropped the sound in the room a few db's. Good Shit!

I'm glad this worked for ya guys. I was pretty suprised at the efficy of this mod myself and I've been sealing cars with the stuff for years.

metameric said:
A more effective, cheaper alternative to dynamat..

http://www.b-quiet.com/

Many of their products have worked amazingly for me...and saved money

I would avoid b-quiet - they aren't pure viscoelastic deadener, (butyl rubber) - they are a rubber-asphalt mix - which is why the stuff is cheaper.

It doesn't absorb sound so much as it massloads the substrate - makes the metal a bit heavier and thus less prone to vibration - whereas superior products made of pure butyl rubber like Dynamat Extreme or Damplifier Pro which actually absorbs the sound waves and nullifies them within the material.

There are alot of copymats out there - the cheap ones are cheap for a reason - but not because Dynamat is somehow overpriced.

Any pure butyl-rubber deadener is going to cost about the same as dynamat, sq/ft by sq/ft.

It also tends to shit out at a MUCH lower temp - maybe not so important in the grow room where even a totally fucked grow isn't going to get hotter than 100 or so, but fuck important when your car is baking in a parking lot in the middle of the summer for 5 hours.

You want that 300-400 degree heat tolerance for your doors and trunk less you get a real mess on your hands. Asphalt based deadeners just won't cut the mustard.

Dynamat Extreme or Damplifier Pro. I wouldn't fuck with anything else.

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

The only way to quit down your pumps is to build a small enclosure. A plwood box lined with drywall (glued in place) will work wonders. If you really want to quiet things down, line it with an inch or two of rockwool.

My home theater has rockwool sound panels and they REALLY soak up the higher frequncies. You can shout at the back wall of my theater (covered in 2" thick rockwool) and you can hardly hear anything. Good stuff

I dynomatted my xbox ... Helped allot

R

Radio_Dread

yeah i actually went out and bought a couple sheets. it was like $27 for 2 little sheets of it. do you think that will be enough to cover my whole 6" inline fan? it doesnt look like it will be enough right now. what size did you buy? they had a couple different sizes, but even the dude at the car shop said the stuff works great

R

Radio_Dread

well i guess on the east coast it is more....the 4 sq ft here in the car audio store is $44

sedate

sedate

radio dread said:
well i guess on the east coast it is more....the 4 sq ft here in the car audio store is $44

Do NOT buy Dynamat in a store. You'll pay out the nose.

I used a bit less than a single sheet - maybe 3 1/2 sq/ft for my 6-inch cannon fan.

More layers is more quiet - you can use more if you want - but make sure the whole fan is covered with at least one layer.

R

Radio_Dread

^ok word up dude thanks for the info. i have not used it yet as i dont have enough as i thought. did not know the online deal with dynamat. might just grab another small pact of it. it says each pc is good for a 10in speaker. but it looks like 2 sq ft i got. so ill prob buy some more. thanks dude

RD

H

HannaMan

Tested and proven by many Car Audio enthusiasts, http://www.raamaudio.com/ supposedly makes THE BEST quality:price product there is.

Thanks for this thread!! I have about 62 sq ft of this shit laying around!

sedate

sedate

HannaMan said:
Tested and proven by many Car Audio enthusiasts, http://www.raamaudio.com/ supposedly makes THE BEST quality:price product there is.

Um. Raamat is cheap crap that leaves out the most important part of the material - the butyl rubber layer which actually absorbs and dampens soundwaves.

Do not use Raamat. It is not suited to the task - and really shouldn't even be in cars as far as I'm concerned.

Any butyl-rubber based deadener will work much, much better than Raamat.

Second Skin Damplifier Pro or Dynamat Xtreme.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/vibration-mat/damplifier-pro.php

or

I repeat - Raamat is garbage . . .

G

greenums

Great idea, definitely going to be doing this on the next upgrade.

thanks! :)

Top Bottom