DIY Sound Proof Box To silemnce your Inline Fan

• Thread starter darkpink
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
darkpink

darkpink

dont know if this has been covered here or not. I cant seem to find anything of the same, here or other sites googled. I seen someone take a cardboard box and fill it with window and door expansion foam. good idea but ugly as shit and i dont know if the foam works better at sound proofing then what i built.

So you HAVE to have a SILENT inline fan for whatever purpose this will work, i promise!

materials needed

1) Some MDF or particle board 1/2" or 3/4" doesnt matter, 1/2" is lighter and $10 cheaper, but 3/4" is more sound proof, its up to you. I prefer MDF board any day over particle board because it has better sound dampening properties, and is more dense then fiber board. 10 yrs ago when i engineered and built custom car audio systems i only used MDF board, 150+dbs, believe me it works, but i will take this one step further for peace of mind. In my case shown here i used scrap particle board that i had laying around waiting to be used up. If you have MDF laying around use it instead.

2) wood 1 1/2" wood screws or drywall screws

3) caulk and gun

4) somthing to cut the wood, table saw, skill saw, or even a jig saw will do it. or have the lowes guy do it and just tip them a couple bucks.

5) drill, anything will do.

6) some sound board, or sound proof egg crate foam. i looked for this stuff but couldnt find it anywhere, so i used what i could get and know works. its $10 a sheet, cheap.

I just ordered this 6" centrifugal fan from vortex and man does it move air, but anything that moves that much air is also LOUD, but compared to the other inline fans its quiet.

my garden is large enough to be noticed if im not stealth about the way i use my equiptment, when everything kicks on you hear nothing and could be leaning against the grow room wall!

Originally i built this box around the vortex brackets supplied with the fan. in the end i didnt like the brackets and changed it. to just the fan inside the box fitted snuggly in there between the sound board and the weather stripping, so tightly it cannot move or make a sound.

so here are a bunch of photos in no specific order but you can see the idea. any questions just ask. Peace!

dp

Diy sound proof box to silemnce your inline fan
Diy sound proof box to silemnce your inline fan 2
Diy sound proof box to silemnce your inline fan 3
Diy sound proof box to silemnce your inline fan 4
Diy sound proof box to silemnce your inline fan 5
Diy sound proof box to silemnce your inline fan 6
Diy sound proof box to silemnce your inline fan 7
Diy sound proof box to silemnce your inline fan 8
Diy sound proof box to silemnce your inline fan 9
Diy sound proof box to silemnce your inline fan 10
N

nixusr

Slick write up! I got (2) vortex 6 inch fans and had to get controllers to slow them down cause of the noise. Sucks cause I need to use them at full throttle. I'm going to build boxes using these steps asap!

darkpink

darkpink

THE WORK STATION AND CONTROLS 1

If you need dimensions lmk. long as your making the same enclosure with same materials they will work for you.

I cant even hear the fan run now! sometimes i put my hand on the box just to make sure its on, my ballast to the right are WAY louder then the exhaust fan!

side note, another tip is the insulated duct. not only does it silence the roaring air moving through the duct it shilds the surrounding enviornment from heat aswell and prevents the duct from turning into a furnace!

also use rigid 90 deg elbows for bends. bending duct into turns slows down cfm 20-30%. its more efficient using rigid elbows for turns.

dp

superog

superog

Blow'in Money Fast!!
Supporter
Nice work bro.. I might have to try it.. Good info..

kushluvr

kushluvr

super sick bro...been wanting to do this for a while now....i asked at HD for sound board and they looked at me like i was from mars, so, do they have it?

rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
Props to you dark pink! What is MDF board? Also, any overheating problems with the box being sealed? I figure the air running through the fan cools it. Thanks for the stellar pics! This must be done in my room, though I think I'm gonna add my phresh filter mufflers to it to dampen that air flow rushing sound.

darkpink

darkpink

super sick bro...been wanting to do this for a while now....i asked at HD for sound board and they looked at me like i was from mars, so, do they have it?

The soundboard i purchased at lowes in lumber dept. 8'x4' sheets for $10.. its used behind drywall or over drywall to sound proof rooms, im not sure about HD, they seems to be lacking of late imo.

if your rooms really loud and you wanted to get sick with it you could run this stuff over your drywall then lay your mylar or panda film over it. cheap alternative to a complete tear out.

Or if you really wanted to go all out building a bad ass sound proof grow room ground up i would use cellulose filling in the walls with quiet rock. Its sheet rock but built for sound barrier like for studios and offices. I designed some offices in Boston with the stuff, also use it in my garage where my drum set is.

When im ready to redo my rooms floor with grade 5 flooring ill tear out the regular sheet rock and install quiet rock with cellulose in the walls same time!

http://www.quietrock.com/

dp

darkpink

darkpink

Props to you dark pink! What is MDF board? Also, any overheating problems with the box being sealed? I figure the air running through the fan cools it. Thanks for the stellar pics! This must be done in my room, though I think I'm gonna add my phresh filter mufflers to it to dampen that air flow rushing sound.

Thankyou. MDF, Medium density fiber board. its a type of particle board made of small particles of wood like saw dust compressed together with a hardening compound. HD and lowes carry it roughly $25-$35 a sheet depending where you live and the thickness you choose. no problems at all except its too quiet now, lol. these fans are built for heat applications, they cool themself in this case. mufflers are good addition also. i was gonna make one of those too but after installing this it wasnt necessary anymore.

dp

kushluvr

kushluvr

sweet im on it.....gonna make me some boxes!!!1

The soundboard i purchased at lowes in lumber dept. 8'x4' sheets for $10.. its used behind drywall or over drywall to sound proof rooms, im not sure about HD, they seems to be lacking of late imo.

if your rooms really loud and you wanted to get sick with it you could run this stuff over your drywall then lay your mylar or panda film over it. cheap alternative to a complete tear out.

Or if you really wanted to go all out building a bad ass sound proof grow room ground up i would use cellulose filling in the walls with quiet rock. Its sheet rock but built for sound barrier like for studios and offices. I designed some offices in Boston with the stuff, also use it in my garage where my drum set is.

When im ready to redo my rooms floor with grade 5 flooring ill tear out the regular sheet rock and install quiet rock with cellulose in the walls same time!

http://www.quietrock.com/

dp

Cort

Cort

I saw this in some youtubes about growing from UK or Europe. Got them from the shop like that. Pretty slick.

sedate

sedate

the-work-station-and-controls-1-jpg.201665
t

^^^ Hey I've seen the goofiest cut-up rubbermaid containers - all kinds of shit really - but this box is actually well cut and looks clean in the room. I hate the cheesy cut-to-shit silencers people come up with.

And nice job on cleanliness and organization. Growers these days are fucking slobs.

I dig it.

FWIW, by way of similar ideas, I used Dynamat a few years back for my fans:

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/diy-sound-insulate-your-cannon-fan.19297/

forknowledge

forknowledge

Just what Ive been looing for thank darkpink.

Just a quick question... what is this material called & what is it made from?

sam_1888-jpg.201088

Top Bottom