DIY sulphur burner

• Thread starter budboy299
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
budboy299

budboy299

Good point Jalisco, I burned once for 15 mins and a second time a few days later for 30 mins. I will stop till harvest. No sence adding an unpleasant taste. thanks for the tip!

H

HOTRODBUDBOY

GREAT IDEA!! COULD NOT BE ANY EASIER!! THE PROBLEM I SEEM TO BE HAVING IS LOCATING A PLACE TO PURCHASE THE SULPHUR. CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT?:mad0233:

J

jonnynu

Premium Member
Supporter
Absolutely ingenious....love that step by step action...very nice job.

Hrpuffnstuff

Hrpuffnstuff

could you set one on top of your CO2 burner? or almost on top lol

J

Jack Griffin

Anybody doing this with hotplates or electric skillets?

Does it work?

B

BayAreasFinest

read the whole thread. JK posted that he used electric skillets

J

Jalisco Kid

Yeah it set me back a couple of bucks,been using it for years. She is not all purdy and shiny but she works well. I just bought 2 more at a thrift shop for 6 bucks. JK

W

Wildwayne

Thank you. I just canceled my order for 4 of these at $170 each and bought all the parts to make 4 of them for $60.... Thanks for the great info.

I

iliketolearn

I am looking to build one of these soon but the one thing I worry about is the smell. My room is about 6ft W x 4ft L x 6ft H enclosed in vinyl. It is in my garage and my garage is separate from my house. I'm worried about neighbors noticing the smell. Is the smell extremely intense? Is there a way of masking the smell? And lastly, how long would you recommend vaporizing in a room of that size?

Thank you in advance

great DIY btw

ILL

G

Green Cali

perfect to go along with a DIY cool tube. Great post.
GC

D

Dovepistilguy

On sulfur "burning", this university publication has all you could want to know about sulfur vaporization and PM control http://ipm.illinois.edu/diseases/rpds/611.pdf As you can see, all you need is a tin can and a 60 watt light bulb! Note that the highly toxic sulfur dioxide is formed if you burn, not vaporize, the sulfur. I am finding that a sulfur and wetting agent spray, Safer Garden Fungicide, works well to suppress PM, and is not very expensive. I'll go to the somewhat smelly sulfur only as a last resort.

J

Jalisco Kid

On sulfur "burning", this university publication has all you could want to know about sulfur vaporization and PM control http://ipm.illinois.edu/diseases/rpds/611.pdf As you can see, all you need is a tin can and a 60 watt light bulb! Note that the highly toxic sulfur dioxide is formed if you burn, not vaporize, the sulfur. I am finding that a sulfur and wetting agent spray, Safer Garden Fungicide, works well to suppress PM, and is not very expensive. I'll go to the somewhat smelly sulfur only as a last resort.

It tells you about pm and roses. I set my skillets at 275* and it works just fine on herb. JK

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

Awesome info. This is better than McGuyver. If you kill all of the pm with a shock treatment before you put your plants in flower will the PM come back before they are done if the plants are clean to begin with?. I'm thinking of preventative measures to keep the stuff out of my chambers in the first place. I'm wondering if running sulfur vapor for a couple days in the empty chamber before I put my plants in will prevent the need to use it during the flowering run. I don't have it but all my grower friends say I don't have it yet.

N

Nilzar

I have all the parts in my shed to make this and the welder is in the living room. May just have to give this one a try.

nice thread..

B

baldhead

Sulfur burners vaporize sulfur which causes it to float in the air and finally precipitate as tiny sulfur crystals on the leaf surface. Folks who have any concern about smoking sulfur crystals should not use a sulfur burner in flowering at all.

Cyber

Cyber

I just assembled my sulfur burner based on this thread using an empty 1 gallon paint can. Mounted a green floodlight bulb(100W) inside, cut a hole in the lid a soup can would fit through. It looks a little ghetto, but the price was right and only took 15 minutes to assemble. I put 2 inches of water in the soup can and a temp probe to measure how close I needed the can to be to the bulb to get the optimal temp (140c or 284f). Unfortunately the water never got above 181f even with the can sitting directly on the bulb. The sulfur won't vaporize at this temp, I know cause I tried. I'm wondering how those of you who tried this are getting the temps you need, especially with a 60W bulb?

I'm at high elevation, 4300ft above sea level. Water takes longer to boil and things take longer to cook. Could this be my issue? I'm wondering if I should increase the wattage of the bulb to 250W or just buy a hotplate. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

budboy299

budboy299

the bulb (not really a bulb at all) is a ceramic reptile heating "bulb". The one I used had the exact same numbers on it as the element in the commercial unit I copied.

If you have a petsmart or another local petstore, price out the 100watt ceramic terrarium heat bulbs there. Those bulbs are designed to throw heat unlike the floodlight you were looking at. Also there is always the possibility of light causing hermies if you are running the floodlight (even though its green) during your night cycle.

Top Bottom