diy uc 4k ss chronic

• Thread starter cheech
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cheech

i've had my diy uc system setup for a couple weeks now. my first batch of plants died, i believe from nutrient concentration shock, but i'm really not sure.

the serious seeds chronic clones were taken from my top two chronic moms. it will be interesting to see how large i can get them in this system, because they didn't want to get very big in promix.

i will give them 1 week to veg in a home depot 20 gallon tote.

here's the 10x12 room i'm working with.

hoods will be vented to the attic for now, although i might bust a 6'' hole in the wall so i can take advantage of the heat in my living spaces. it's starting to get cold, and when snow starts to fall i don't want to be the only house on the block with no snow on the roof. shady.

my only regret so far is not spending the 6.50 x 12 for black buckets. i did a shitty job with the panda and will have to cover the buckets with 5-6 mil industrial trash bags to completely light proof them. then i'll just slit a hole in the top for the 3'' net pot.

Diy uc 4k ss chronic
Diy uc 4k ss chronic 2
Diy uc 4k ss chronic 3
Diy uc 4k ss chronic 4
JPLord01

JPLord01

What you can do with the panda is take a sheet of panda and drap it over all the buckets. Then you cut the holes 3/4 smaller then the bucket for the net pots. This is what I do for my MPB setup.

Z

ziggy1

what did you use to connect the pvc to the buckets? male/female pvc adapters ? how do you seal them to be waterproof? o rings? could you show a picture of the setup inside the bucket?

thx

C

cheech

panda route is an option and probably makes more sense to drape it than try to gift wrap it.

i used male/female 2'' electrical adapters. the grey ones from any hardware store. i was having big issues with uniseals leaking, so went this route. i did try 0 rings, but they got tangled up in the threads when i tried to get the adapters as tight as i could.

improvised bulkheads

what i did was use the amazing goop which really is amazing as long as you allow it to dry for 2 days. it creates such a strong bond that i can not undo connections that have been gooped together.

C

cheech

some advise for a diy'er. it is easy to seal up the bucket adapters with the goop, because you can do each individual bucket before it is attached to your whole system. you only need to goop the exterior connection.

next step would be to attach the pvc that will connect your buckets. do one row at a time, so you can goop the top, then with the help of someone turn the whole row over and goop the bottom.. do that for each run.

the hard part is the connections between rows, because you can no longer flip the system over to goop the bottom of the connections. it is impossible unless you use your finger. i don't recommend gooping the bottom, because you will never get a thick bead, but will instead have to spread a very thin layer. what i recommend is using harvy's epoxy putty. you can roll it into the desired length and width and easily apply it to the bottom of the connections. then when you are done you can goop the top of the connections. this should give you a system that is completely leak proof.

if you attempt to spread a thin layer of goop on the bottom, you may leave small openings, that you will have to try to cover up later with more goop. you may be successful, but if you are not then you have a rough service to work with which will make it harder to get a good seal with the epoxy putty.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
love the DIY bro - though with all the goop its good to see a pondliner in that room - Lowes has grey (logo) buckets that are light proof for future reference

C

cheech

cool. i'll use those for my next room assuming this one does well.

i forgot to say, don't even bother with silicon, it sucks. it will come right off. goop is impenetrable once it drys.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
the expoxy putty you mention - is that the 2 part shit that you mix?

that shit is bomb, I used it to fill two 1 1/4" holes in an ebb/flow tray after my "helper" drilled them in the wrong spot.

I duct taped an old credit card to the bottom of the tray and filled the 2 holes, 2 years later and they are still prolly the strongest part of the tray

sedate

sedate

motherlode said:
Lowes has grey (logo) buckets that are light proof for future reference

I really doubt those are lightproof under HID lighting . . . those lowes branded buckets are awfully thin. I wouldn't use anything other than the standard ABS black buckets or at least Valspar Plastic or Krylon Fusion black-painted buckets.

G

gettogro

I had the same problem with my diy uc. I tried to get the uniseals to work on 20 gallon brutes with no luck. I finnaly had to use the electrical adapters and the goop. It worked great for me too.

I was wondering about the snow on the roof thing. I live at 10000ft and in the winter all the houses have snow on the roofs. I am venting 6kw of cool tubes into the attic 24/7. I was curious about if the snow would still stick or not. Having the only house on the street with a bare garage would definatly look kind of shady, Im not sure what to do about that I guess ill figure it out soon enough.

Good luck with your grow

C

cheech

the expoxy putty you mention - is that the 2 part shit that you mix?

that shit is bomb, I used it to fill two 1 1/4" holes in an ebb/flow tray after my "helper" drilled them in the wrong spot.

I duct taped an old credit card to the bottom of the tray and filled the 2 holes, 2 years later and they are still prolly the strongest part of the tray

lol, yea it is good stuff.

C

cheech

I really doubt those are lightproof under HID lighting . . . those lowes branded buckets are awfully thin. I wouldn't use anything other than the standard ABS black buckets or at least Valspar Plastic or Krylon Fusion black-painted buckets.

if that's the case i'll just buy the black buckets. fuck spray painting the buckets. it was a pain just for me to spray paint the lids black lol

I had the same problem with my diy uc. I tried to get the uniseals to work on 20 gallon brutes with no luck. I finnaly had to use the electrical adapters and the goop. It worked great for me too.

I was wondering about the snow on the roof thing. I live at 10000ft and in the winter all the houses have snow on the roofs. I am venting 6kw of cool tubes into the attic 24/7. I was curious about if the snow would still stick or not. Having the only house on the street with a bare garage would definatly look kind of shady, Im not sure what to do about that I guess ill figure it out soon enough.

Good luck with your grow

thanks man. i hear ya on the uniseals. i am now the owner of 26 3'' uniseals and 26' 2'' uniseals. i'll put them to use someday hopefully.

i recall that with your setup you had your carbon filters in the attic pushing the air through them. maybe you could suspend the carbon filters from the ceiling and have you fans pulling air through the filter then through duct work out a roof vent if you have one.

man i envy you being out in colorado. i've been out there 2x to snowboard aspen highlands/snowmass and the other time was breckenridge. i've got to get back out there.

sedate

sedate

cheech said:
thanks man. i hear ya on the uniseals. i am now the owner of 26 3'' uniseals and 26' 2'' uniseals. i'll put them to use someday hopefully.

I read through the thread but I don't quite get what ur problem with uniseals was? Why wouldn't they work?

sedate said:

cheech said:
if that's the case i'll just buy the black buckets. fuck spray painting the buckets. it was a pain just for me to spray paint the lids black lol

I was actually in Lowes today and I popped one of those over my head - fuck if it wasn't thick enough and sturdy enough to block light and accept drill holes in the base without damaging the integrity of the plastic.

. . . . On the other hand, some random motherfuckers in Lowes saw me standing in public with a bucket on my head . . .

C

cheech

thanks for putting your dignity on the line for our cause sedate. i will be using lowes buckets from here on out.

my problem wasn't so much with uniseals, but rather my particular application of them. my first design was using rubbermaid 18 gallon totes. i didn't realize until after i installed the 3'' uniseals that i had hole sawed through a seam in the plastic that ripped when i muscled the pipe into place.. you have to put a ridiculous amount of force into installing the pipe through the uniseal. that reason alone makes it a huge pain in the ass.

i would never use them in any application where the bucket was not flat or extremely heavy duty. i installed a 3'' uniseal into each of those home depot heavy duty totes, and even the plastic on those bowed like you wouldn't believe when i was trying to get the pipe in(it helps to put a brace in the inside of the bucket/tote to keep it from bowing). it would not have bowed nearly as much had i installed the uniseal at the base of the tote on the narrow end. for some reason i put it in the center. it doesn't leak though.

sedate

sedate

cheech said:
thanks for putting your dignity on the line for our cause sedate. i will be using lowes buckets from here on out.

:)

cheech said:
i would never use them in any application where the bucket was not flat or extremely heavy duty. i installed a 3'' uniseal into each of those home depot heavy duty totes, and even the plastic on those bowed like you wouldn't believe when i was trying to get the pipe in(it helps to put a brace in the inside of the bucket/tote to keep it from bowing). it would not have bowed nearly as much had i installed the uniseal at the base of the tote on the narrow end. for some reason i put it in the center. it doesn't leak though.

Okay just to distill what your ur saying:

1) The uniseal took alot of work to get the effer in?
2) The uniseal is installed but works well?
3) With no other sealants/goops/silicones?
4) Did you use any lubricants like - say - Astroglide?

C

cheech

yea in the heavy duty home depot tote there are no leaks without the use of a sealant. i didn't use astroglide but i'm sure that would have been the best bet. between windex and dish soap i thought dish soap worked better.

let me know what you think you might be using them on and i'll just throw my oppinion out there... but know this. it will be a fucking chore to get the pvc through the uniseal. i would seriously recommend going on a light jog and stretching out before even trying

S

strictlyHYDROid

Good luck with your grow

"loose lips sinks ships"
nobody will know otherwise

C

cheech

what if your house looks like a light tower at night and reeks like skunk 24/7

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I was actually in Lowes today and I popped one of those over my head - fuck if it wasn't thick enough and sturdy enough to block light and accept drill holes in the base without damaging the integrity of the plastic.

. . . . On the other hand, some random motherfuckers in Lowes saw me standing in public with a bucket on my head . . .

lol yeah I use them for making small mixes and what not becasue they are light proof... funny I would have done the same thing

G

gettogro

SANY0026.JPG

uniseals 2 out of 10 I got a slow drip in the brutes
SANY0029.JPG

uniseals in the walmart totes, 6 weeks not a drop

uniseal.jpg

Sellingpoint on uniseals in round pails "Negative, False"
SANY0045.JPG
SANY0049.JPG

3" makeshift electrical bulkheade with a rubber seal and Plumbers POOP "GOLDENtee"

I used vegetable oil to force the uniseals in, still a pain but it worked for me...:muscle

Glad we are all here to help each other :joint:

peace
g

Top Bottom