Do harvested buds compress when drying?

• Thread starter GrimloxK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GrimloxK

Hey buds...just wondering something...I just harvested and I put my plant to dry...I took a daily look at my plant and I noticed that the buds are still kind of airy/wispy.

My question is:

Do the buds condense are become tight when drying/curing is over...or if you have wispy buds/popcorn buds...will they stay that way.

I was comparing it to my .5 nug of headband I have right now and it's tight and dense...

Any info is appreciated

I

ibTheMan

nope not to much, best thing to do is when your sweatn it tightn the bag upn tight with no air and keep it like that for ah day or so.

I

Indicas4me

My buds are always fluffy,my ounces look huge!Like TheMan said tighten the bag when drying is the only way I could get dense nugs,but I dont do it.

G

GrimloxK

Damn...I really thought that when all the excess moisture leaves the bud they would tighten up...I like the bag appeal of tight buds...might have to take you guys' advice..thanks

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

Nope, buds don't get dense from drying/curing. Bud density happens entirely during the flowering period.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

time to get the vacuum sealer out

Time to get some more lights.

What size room and how watts per sq. foot? You should shoot for 50w per sq foot. If not you will have airy nugs.
That or you are harvesting a little too early. I alway's tell people, a banana may be ok to eat green, but if you let it ripen, it taste's much better. Same as growing weed.

G

GrimloxK

I hear you smokey...this was my first go at growing and I picked a sativa dom. strain Red Dragon from barney's farm...I grew with 168 watts of cfl lighting in a 18"x19"x36" small grow cab.

I had to pull my plant after 4+ months....I haven't weighed anything yet but it looks like about an ounce. Not as dense as I had hoped but I gained a lot of experience.

Right now i'm drying...buds starting to get dry on the outside but stems aren't close to snapping yet so i'm gonna give her a couple more days of dry time and then use Simon's curing technique posted over at ICMAG.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

That's your problem. Put that CFL and tiny grow cab on craigslist. Buy a HO T5 fluorescent light for vegging and a 400-600w HPS bulb/ballast with a decent reflector for flowering. Then find a slightly larger environment in your house or buy a small tent.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I no longer worry about whether or not the buds are very dense, mostly because I'm growing Sativa-dominant lines, but also because it doesn't matter, really, as a pound is a pound is a pound when it's all weighed and done.

Sat-doms are just not going to produce the same type of bud structure as Indica-doms, Grim. They don't have the same bag appeal, either, but toke it up with a light-weight and see the top of their head come flying off. Now that's some fun righthere, I tell you what!

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I no longer worry about whether or not the buds are very dense, mostly because I'm growing Sativa-dominant lines, but also because it doesn't matter, really, as a pound is a pound is a pound when it's all weighed and done.

Sat-doms are just not going to produce the same type of bud structure as Indica-doms, Grim. They don't have the same bag appeal, either, but toke it up with a light-weight and see the top of their head come flying off. Now that's some fun righthere, I tell you what!

Yes yes yes, Seamaiden! ROFL
Hilarious that some of my product was turned down by many shops a couple years ago because the 100-day sativas I had were not 'dense' enough. I burned down with one shop manager after he snubbed my stuff and blew the top of his head off. He changed his mind.

I'd personally rather load a bowl more than once and puff trichs rather than veg material. Sometimes those dense nugs are like puffing on charcoal for 30 min after the first couple hits (i don't use a grinder).

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Awesome! Bet the poor guy had to go picking up pieces of brain after you got finished with him. :giggle

My thing is I don't want a couchlocking Indica, I have shit I need to get done and I wanna get busy. For that I need to kill pain, or block it, whatever, and it's taken me a few years to figure out it's the ugly Sativa bitches that do what I need. Come on, I'll take the ugly girls.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
Awesome! Bet the poor guy had to go picking up pieces of brain after you got finished with him. :giggle

My thing is I don't want a couchlocking Indica, I have shit I need to get done and I wanna get busy. For that I need to kill pain, or block it, whatever, and it's taken me a few years to figure out it's the ugly Sativa bitches that do what I need. Come on, I'll take the ugly girls.

if you want to be happy for the rest of your life make an ugly woman your wife LOL

but yes light and strain control density
man I would love to be able to spend time on some haze I will in the near future(well not too near) seems hard to find any good sativas everybodys got hybrids or indoor inicas what would you recomend Seamaiden?:nod

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I really like the Jack's Cleaner/Herer lines, m'self. But I've got a long way to go in terms of sampleage and learning the variances of what's out there, etcetera.

G

GrimloxK

if you want to be happy for the rest of your life make an ugly woman your wife LOL

hahhaahaa

Sea thanks for posting bud...I guess it really does depend alot on the strain especially if it wasn't an indica...I was comparing my drying buds to the .5 gram of headband I had left...and the headband was soo tight.

I really can't wait to do a smoke report for my red dragon. Hopefully like you said it takes my head clean-off and I can stop whining and complaining lmao.

F

fotparmer

I asked this question not to long ago and was told that my buds were A) stretching and B) it was to hot in my grow room. Which both were an issue for me. I have since changed things up and I am very happy with the density of the budz . Same strain.:banana1sv6:

Latest posts

Top Bottom