Do I have a virus?

• Thread starter Owlfarm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

How big is your res? Probably a better way than those dinky filters for a system that size. Maybe a waterfall trickle filter

Gonna be driving for a bit here BB in a bit

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok on a system that size the modifications and shit won't be worth it. I would add hygrozyme to it and keep the UC roots. Adding a mechanical filter is an option and probably beneficial but not needed.

If RO is an option that would be my next step if the hygrozyme doesn't work but I have a feeling it will.

How often are you adding the UC roots?

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

All the water is run through RO and comes out at 0ppm. I’m adding UC roots every three to five days. Total system volume is about 275 gallons of water.

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

I’ve been super disappointed with current cultures feedback. They used to have good customer support but they’ve been pretty useless for me on this problem. They just keep saying they aren’t microbiology experts. Not really sure where to turn to at this point.

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

Found these floating in res now...
E8E74579 579C 4796 AA5E 47D02011C425

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

Ok so I switched to airstones and a bunch of brown algae came loose and was floating around. After a few days it went away and now I finally have nice normal white healthy roots.
6A3ED57A 655B 46BB A03F AF8CCBC4937B

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

I’m pumped about this and I think the black air diffuser hose was some sort of holding area for the brown algae. Must have been a good environment for it or something. Now I’m getting nervous about the plants leaves though. They are looking strange and deficient to me still. I’m doing cultured solutions nutes at the recommended rates. 1/2 ml veg A and 1/2 ml veg B per gallon of water. I’ve been doing 1 ml of calmag per gallon of water too. I just upped it to 2ml of calmag per gallon but I’m not seeing any benefit. I’ve never used RO water before so I’m not sure if it’s a learning curve there.
43A26FE2 A42A 40CC A521 277B51EFD0B2

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

So yeah my tap water comes out at 0ppm after all my filtration. After adding nutes and calmag I’ve been at about 180 ppm. After bumping up the calmag I’m at 270 ppm. I typically run these low levels at my other current culture sites and they do great.
what do you guys think?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Kinda screams potassium deficiency. But that doesn't make sense me.

You start with RO. Then add cal mag to reach 100-150ppm. Then I would say about 300ppm of A+B total. Combined total 400-450ppm but make sure you check both don't just start ass ng stuff till you get 400-450ppm as ratios are important. Is this what you are doing?

rosco23

rosco23

how long have you been growing in rdwc? how many harvests have you completed successfully

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

400-500 ppm just seems really high to me. I calculate on the 700 scale so maybe that’s part of it. Generally at my other sites I can start at 150-200 ppm and the plants are lush and healthy up until a foot or two tall. 400-500 would usually lock the plants out.
I’ve been doing Rdwc for about ten years. Hundreds of successful harvests.

rosco23

rosco23

I’m prob more at 100 ppm of calmag then another 150 ppm of veg a and b combined. So a little lower than you’re advising.
when i was forced to switch from grow stones to hydroton i saw similar things to what your experience from a residue standpoint. plants never skipped a beat but that brown dust looks like its from the hydroton not being thoroughly cleaned before use. its a bitch to wash.

rosco23

rosco23

when i was forced to switch from grow stones to hydroton i saw similar things to what your experience from a residue standpoint. plants never skipped a beat but that brown dust looks like its from the hydroton not being thoroughly cleaned before use. its a bitch to wash.
i used to think 400-500 was high until i had a few revelations. 400 is mother plant ppm. you can jack this shit up to 1000+ and be fine (500 scale)

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

Yeah I thought it was hydroton residue as well at first. I thoroughly washed hydroton though. I made a machine that rinsed it for a few weeks just to make sure.

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

The plants are just past clone stage so I think a high ppm would lock them out. Are you in DWC roscoe? Or are you in a hydroton based grow?

rosco23

rosco23

The plants are just past clone stage so I think a high ppm would lock them out. Are you in DWC roscoe? Or are you in a hydroton based grow?
yes i meant overall throughout the stage of the plant they can handle higher ppm. i start at 100ppm. yes rdwc. hydroton in netpots ever since grow stone randomly went out of business this past year.

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

You think I should be higher than 270 ppm on 700 scale with how big they are right now?

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

Man I’m just not sure I should go that high. I feel like if all my other RDWC rooms are at the 180-280 ppm range and the plants are really healthy in the 1-2’ range why should this room have such different nutrient needs?
I could def be missing something and you guys could explain it to me.
the main difference between this site and all the others is this one has well water run through an RO and my other site has spring water with a starting ppm of about 60.

Latest posts

Top Bottom