Do I have a virus?

• Thread starter Owlfarm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Owlfarm

Owlfarm

Whatcha guys think about a boron toxicity? Is that barking up the wrong tree? Pre RO filter my boron level is 1.92 Mg/L which is kind of on the high side..

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Whatcha guys think about a boron toxicity? Is that barking up the wrong tree? Pre RO filter my boron level is 1.92 Mg/L which is kind of on the high side..
I think the wrong tree... I feel it's a nutrient ratio issue. Often micros are first locked out. Did you adjust feed and cal mag yet?

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

Nope, yesterday I drained my water tank and filled it from a neighbors well. It’s a way better well than mine. 50ppm out of the tap. I figure I’ll drain my system and fill with the neighbors water and that will rule out something weird going on with the water like boron toxicity or petrochemical contamination or something.
I’m still not sure about raising ppm though. A few days ago I bumped calmag from 1ml per gallon to 2ml per gallon and I got more toxic hooking looks.
203A6C63 A0D7 4285 B9C6 FB2CB62C9DBD

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Nope, yesterday I drained my water tank and filled it from a neighbors well. It’s a way better well than mine. 50ppm out of the tap. I figure I’ll drain my system and fill with the neighbors water and that will rule out something weird going on with the water like boron toxicity or petrochemical contamination or something.
I’m still not sure about raising ppm though. A few days ago I bumped calmag from 1ml per gallon to 2ml per gallon and I got more toxic hooking looks.View attachment 926509
That's why I feel it's a ratio issue. Your cal and mag are going to be a much higher ratio in relation to other nutrients. This can cause a lockout of other nutrients. But if you have a plan give it a go.

If you are using a RO filter it's not going to be a micro toxicity. Just my opinion.

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

Ok, yeah I see what you’re saying about the ratio. Maybe I’ll just dial back my calmag to 1 ml per gallon. And then keep my veg a and b at 1/2 ml per gallon.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok, yeah I see what you’re saying about the ratio. Maybe I’ll just dial back my calmag to 1 ml per gallon. And then keep my veg a and b at 1/2 ml per gallon.
Still think that's to low but up to you. You will see deficiencies if it's to low also because they will only uptake so much water and that translates into how much nutrients will be taken up. But your call.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Cal-Mag can cause issues with magnesium deficiencies, oddly enough. The higher Ph of the Cal part can keep magnesium locked up and not avail to the plant. Look at some pictures about magnesium deficiencies and I think they look somewhat similar, at least to my tired old eyes.
***UPDATE***
After re-reading the post, I again realize that you are using a hydro system, not soil/soiless/Coco/Promix. Disregard most of what I said as it mostly applies to soil type growing, not hydro. Sorry for the detour!

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Cal-Mag can cause issues with magnesium deficiencies, oddly enough. The higher Ph of the Cal part can keep magnesium locked up and not avail to the plant. Look at some pictures about magnesium deficiencies and I think they look somewhat similar, at least to my tired old eyes.
***UPDATE***
After re-reading the post, I again realize that you are using a hydro system, not soil/soiless/Coco/Promix. Disregard most of what I said as it mostly applies to soil type growing, not hydro. Sorry for the detour!
Nope your still right bro works the same. Only real difference is it builds up more easily in soil since we do res changes.

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

Oh the pic of the healthy plants is similar lighting. It’s just a pic with lights on.
the pics of sick plants I took with lights off just so you can get a better idea of the colors without getting all bleached out.
I got out the lumen meter yesterday just to make sure they weren’t getting to much or to little light, but they are in a good range.
Im listening to what you’re saying about nute levels though.
I’ll give them a few days with low nutes and if I don’t see an improvement I’ll try raising them up to the levels you suggest.
I think you very well could be right and I could be wrong.
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Sometimes it’s helpful to have a couple more heads on a problem for a different perspective.

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

I’ve never heard of toxicity’s happening after RO filtration either so you could very well be right about me chasing my tail there.

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

Yeah it was quite the job putting it all together. The RO system is up on a hill by the holding tank. The water is terrible out of the well. Ph 9, tds is about 400, lots of iron, sodium, all kinds of minerals.
The bummer is the well right across the street is excellent water coming out at 50 ppm. It also has excellent flow and provides for about 3 properties.
Oh well at least after treatment I’m getting 0 ppm out of the tap. It’ll be interesting doing more water testing soon, I’m wondering if my blue lab meter could just be missing some minerals in the 10-20ppm range and that be causing problems.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah it was quite the job putting it all together. The RO system is up on a hill by the holding tank. The water is terrible out of the well. Ph 9, tds is about 400, lots of iron, sodium, all kinds of minerals.
The bummer is the well right across the street is excellent water coming out at 50 ppm. It also has excellent flow and provides for about 3 properties.
Oh well at least after treatment I’m getting 0 ppm out of the tap. It’ll be interesting doing more water testing soon, I’m wondering if my blue lab meter could just be missing some minerals in the 10-20ppm range and that be causing problems.
I doubt it. It's either nutrient or environment related in my mind.

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

Yeah I’m leaning on the side of nutrient. The environment is fairly controlled. I have a 20” maxfan exhaust controlling temps, and a huge mainland mart ultrasonic humidifier adding moisture during the day cycle. And then a huge dri eaz dehumidifier to keep humidity in check during the night cycle.

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

I got my leaf tissue analysis back. Everything was normal except phosphorus was low, which can maybe be expected cause plants are in super early veg.
As I suspected boron was way high though. The leaf sample tested out at 236 ppm. Most of the ranges for normal growth I could find were 20-100ppm.
So I’m really thinking boron is the culprit. I’m still waiting on some water tests to see how hard it’s going to be to filter out.

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

Well my water tests came back and it’s boron. I suspect my issue was worse than most because I use a lot of humidification. So essentially a boron mist was being sprayed on the plants as well as the root zone.
The only other thing in my water tests was sodium at 25ppm which is a little high.
Anybody know if this is to high?

Top Bottom