Do I have to place the seed right in the middle of the pot?

• Thread starter Toscano
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Toscano

Toscano

I know... probably a stupid newbie question, but here's my reasoning.

If I would like to train a plant to grow horizontally by pulling the branches down, wouldn't it make more sense to place the seed near (not in contact, but somewhat near) an extremity of the pot? I would have more leeway to bend the branch once it pops up and make it go around the pot.

Naturally, I ignore what's happening beneath the soil. Would this create any problems for the plant's rooting?

Thanks!

Homesteader

Homesteader

Just plant it in the middle to ensure you get all the nutrients needed. Im sure your technique would work but this allows the roots to be somewhat even. Not likely to break your grow though if you do it that way, just not really needed.

R

ritoMox

If I would like to train a plant to grow horizontally by pulling the branches down, wouldn't it make more sense to place the seed near (not in contact, but somewhat near) an extremity of the pot? I would have more leeway to bend the branch once it pops up and make it go around the pot.

Naturally, I ignore what's happening beneath the soil. Would this create any problems for the plant's rooting?

Thanks!
This pic is a good reason for center-beaning😆

DqSV8HkVYAA7ijb.jpg
Just realized that I can link an image directly here without needing to screenshot and upload to the site✌️

Last edited:
Madmax

Madmax

Just plant it in the middle to ensure you get all the nutrients needed. Im sure your technique would work but this allows the roots to be somewhat even. Not likely to break your grow though if you do it that way, just not really needed.
Agree.plant roots will b better anchored..

quirk

quirk

Thanks!

TSD

TSD

I usually plant mine to one side so I can pull them to the opposite side and start to spread them out and train the main stem... but they go in the ground, so it's not a long term home. I also stab holes up the sides of my pots... they always have a nice full root ball regardless of where the seed goes, the roots will move throughout the soil as long as it's evenly watered. That's just my experience, mine are only in pots for 2-3 months.

TSD

TSD

does anyone tie down the main stem before pulling/bending any branches?
Yes I do because I want it to start growing horizontally as soon as possible, especially this year for my scrog experiment. Usually by the time I transplant to the ground, my stalks are already pretty substantial so I like to have them going in the right direction at least. It's just easier to get them to do what you want when you start early.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

Thanks!
Most of the time but this one flopped over and I just covered up the stem and letter grow

IMG 0470
Top Bottom