Do You Give?

• Thread starter pinegrovedave
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pinegrovedave

pinegrovedave

Do you donate money, time, work to help those less fortunate? Let's hear it. Do you talk the talk, or do you walk it? I'll be honest...This time of year really pisses me off when I see/hear/read everyone going on about "their team"...I wonder what the world would be like if we spent as much time/effort/money on our less fortunate brothers and sisters instead of making a bunch of "primadonnas" rich as they chase a ball on a field. We pay money to watch two men beat the crap out of each other...and I have personally seen people derive pleasure from it...yet we don't give the nameless/faceless person on the street corner holding up the "homeless" card a second glance.

We've got millionaire "athletes" that can't even spell "KAT" yet we deify them while we have men who fought in foreign wars for America that can't even pay for shelter, yet we drive right by them when we see them on the street because we're in a rush to get home for "game time".

Do you give?

Last edited:
shawnskush

shawnskush

Do you donate money, time, work to help those less fortunate? Let's hear it. Do you talk the talk, or do you walk it? I'll be honest...This time of year really pisses me off when I see/hear/read everyone going on about "their team"...I wonder what the world would be like if we spent as much time/effort/money on our less fortunate brothers and sisters instead of making a bunch of "primadonnas" rich as they chase a ball on a field. We pay money to watch two men beat the crap out of each other...and I have personally seen people derive pleasure from it...yet we don't give the nameless/faceless person on the street corner holding up the "homeless" card a second glance.

We've got millionaire "athletes" that can't even spell "KAT" yet we deify them while we have men who fought in foreign wars for America that can't even pay for shelter, yet we drive right by them when we see them on the street because we're in a rush to get home for "game time".

Do you give?
I donate all of my extra clothes at the beginning of winter, hit the alameda county food bank with a 200 buck donation, and get some toys for toys for tots. Its not much I am certainly no activist but I try not to be a dick during the holidays LOL. I live just off a freeway entrance and see the same "homeless" crew that share an apt up the street from me so I dont give to the "homeless" sign waivers half of which are "traveler" kids too lazy to get a job...at least here in the bay. Water is the one exception living in a desert for as many years as I did I automatically give water to anyone who asks.I keep a 24 pack of bottled waters in my car just for that lol

ohgee kush

ohgee kush

Long story short, A few wks back I went to orileys auto parts store and went up to the counter and was ordering a part I needed for my car when I over heard a guy on the phone calling a few of his friends asking them for a favor to which none of them would help him in his situation. I could tell by his facial expressio he had a bad day. Guy had his truck stolen with all his belongings in it. Police had found his truck, but he had no money to pump gas in it to get home. The thieves wasted his gas. So after me witnessing the phone calls he made to his friends only to get turned down. A store worker and I gave him $15 to get home.

He even offered to pay us back and we said no its okay dont worry about it.

That day he was less fortunate.

Last time i offered a homeless man food from a taco truck he told me to stfu and give him money instead so he could by beer. I just told him to get the f##k out of my face.

Last edited:
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Just today donated 2 zips to the lady who got her meds confiscated by cops, see 50 lb pot bust on colo forum.. Have MS patients who regularly gets free meds Always sharing farm goodies with other less fortunate or unable to grow their own.. Others here also have steeped up and helped me with meds to share. I live like a king but would give the shirt off my back to help...duckfeet..

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Do you give?
This has been on my mind a lot here lately. I have always donated my trim for people to make butter or wax with....but as my harvests are increasing in size....I feel the need to donate. Right now I am looking at NKLA right now, to not only donate time, but money as well. I'm pretty distrustful of most Charity Organizations.....but NKLA is something I can definitely say I would be proud to help out with.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
We're not all savages and consumers.
One of my favorite quotes comes from a Walt Whitman poem that goes roughly-
I do not give lectures or charity, When I give I give myself.
Since I read that it's been in my head as a solid course of operation. Works out for the most part, just gotta keep small circles.

I've given years of my time and many tens of thousands of my dollars to try to benefit the commercial medical scene here and never really gotten much for it but taken advantage of. Made 1 or 2 solid friends though. But the real connections have been in private caregiving. Not talking industry connections, but real life human connection. What started as snobs who only wanted to smoke the best quality evolved into folks who only benefitted from the best quality. Crazy shift in clientele over the last decade.

Being a full time cannabis grower gives me plenty of free time, so I'm on call for a few geriatric/end of life patients, some of whom use cannabis, others not at all. Not particularly less fortunate, I feel they deserve a certain amount of dignity in their last few years and months while the human body becomes unmanageable.
Mostly I just provide transportation for appointments and groceries and the occasional game of 9 ball. A smiling face and a pot of hot soup every once in a while. Lots of hugs and recording details for inquiring family members. A lot of time it's just being available to listen.

Over the past year I've had the priviledge to offer my time to an exceptional couple of borderline octogenarian lovers, neither of whom can drive any longer. She is a magnificent oil painter and teacher who is dying of stomach cancer, which has made it's way around her system and is now attacking her lungs most aggressively. He's an aeronautical engineer/ rocket scientist who has suffered an unknown number of strokes (3 for sure, several subsequent shockwaves) since September and is steadily showing more signs of damage.

I've provided her with tincture and edibles and my time since she began chemo over a year ago, but the cancer has progressed, and now she must have her lungs drained quite frequently. Obviously she is having trouble breathing, so speaking is labored at best. Since he worked for Martin Marietta for many years and photographed several shuttle launches, his hearing is toast... Even with hearing aids conversation is generally more trouble than its worth. They've been together about 40 years but still live in separate homes, so most days since thanksgiving I've been driving him to her house and they sit together silently.

Sounds weird to say but it truly has been a privilege to witness- especially in the last couple weeks as they carry out their last dance. Shaky hands holding shaky hands and teary eyed smiles that last for hours. There's something magical about the connections that truly exist beyond realms of life and death, and seeing two folks together, knowing they are dying, knowing they lived the magic, the most sought after of human connections.... I know a lot of folks find that sad, but to me, it's quite beautiful.... and as a man not quite two years married, it is wholly inspiring. Their family expresses sincere truckloads of gratitude, but I've been pushing off any money they offer since I really do feel lucky to have spent this time with them, individually and as a couple.

I think Albert Schweitzer said: put your good where it does the most. I really like that, though I think it suggests that giving a few dollars here and there is a generally symbolic act.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I havent walked the walk in awhile ......life.presents opportunities all the time , I will not let. The next opportunity pass me by.

My wife and I have been praying for a way to adopt for awhile now and I have a cousin who's losing her battle with addiction and recently sad to say that the kids might get taken away so we extended our home and love were leaving the rest in Gods hands . She has a 16 13 11 and 9 year old.....she's been in the hospital fir A week and hasn't got better , come to find out needles shouldn't be shared even with yourself ....she gave herself a horrible infection and recently

Last edited:
caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Admiited to her oldest that shewill quit everything but Meth.....so basically social services will eventually catch her high and take the kids away
I just don't want them split up.....no matter what happens I pray that the kids never give up on life and never forget how much their mother loves them

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Do you give?
Thanks fir starting this thread all my life I've had a big heart just haven't always shared it , sometimes we have to be willing to get hurt in order to help or share our hearts

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

We're not all savages and consumers.
One of my favorite quotes comes from a Walt Whitman poem that goes roughly-
I do not give lectures or charity, When I give I give myself.
Since I read that it's been in my head as a solid course of operation. Works out for the most part, just gotta keep small circles.

I've given years of my time and many tens of thousands of my dollars to try to benefit the commercial medical scene here and never really gotten much for it but taken advantage of. Made 1 or 2 solid friends though. But the real connections have been in private caregiving. Not talking industry connections, but real life human connection. What started as snobs who only wanted to smoke the best quality evolved into folks who only benefitted from the best quality. Crazy shift in clientele over the last decade.

Being a full time cannabis grower gives me plenty of free time, so I'm on call for a few geriatric/end of life patients, some of whom use cannabis, others not at all. Not particularly less fortunate, I feel they deserve a certain amount of dignity in their last few years and months while the human body becomes unmanageable.
Mostly I just provide transportation for appointments and groceries and the occasional game of 9 ball. A smiling face and a pot of hot soup every once in a while. Lots of hugs and recording details for inquiring family members. A lot of time it's just being available to listen.

Over the past year I've had the priviledge to offer my time to an exceptional couple of borderline octogenarian lovers, neither of whom can drive any longer. She is a magnificent oil painter and teacher who is dying of stomach cancer, which has made it's way around her system and is now attacking her lungs most aggressively. He's an aeronautical engineer/ rocket scientist who has suffered an unknown number of strokes (3 for sure, several subsequent shockwaves) since September and is steadily showing more signs of damage.

I've provided her with tincture and edibles and my time since she began chemo over a year ago, but the cancer has progressed, and now she must have her lungs drained quite frequently. Obviously she is having trouble breathing, so speaking is labored at best. Since he worked for Martin Marietta for many years and photographed several shuttle launches, his hearing is toast... Even with hearing aids conversation is generally more trouble than its worth. They've been together about 40 years but still live in separate homes, so most days since thanksgiving I've been driving him to her house and they sit together silently.

Sounds weird to say but it truly has been a privilege to witness- especially in the last couple weeks as they carry out their last dance. Shaky hands holding shaky hands and teary eyed smiles that last for hours. There's something magical about the connections that truly exist beyond realms of life and death, and seeing two folks together, knowing they are dying, knowing they lived the magic, the most sought after of human connections.... I know a lot of folks find that sad, but to me, it's quite beautiful.... and as a man not quite two years married, it is wholly inspiring. Their family expresses sincere truckloads of gratitude, but I've been pushing off any money they offer since I really do feel lucky to have spent this time with them, individually and as a couple.

I think Albert Schweitzer said: put your good where it does the most. I really like that, though I think it suggests that giving a few dollars here and there is a generally symbolic act.
Right on bro thank you for sharing

putembk

putembk

I donate all the time but NOT to places like United Way or the Red Cross. Especially $$$! Most of what you give is eaten up by administrative costs. Only about 1 in ten dollars actually reaches its intended goal if you give to one of these agencies. I give clothes, non perishable food and anything else I can but try and give directly to the person or charity intended. I also tip everybody who provides a service for me. Mail Man, trash hauler, paper boy and so on. I also tip at least 25% to a server when I eat out.
Just read where Kim Kardashian started a charity and she was keeping most of the $$ herself...what a bitch.

sixstring

sixstring

we donate cloths to a local church that has a huge following of needing folks that come every Tuesday,my wife shops garage sales and as our kids or grandkids out grow stuff it goes to the church plus any new items go.i have several patients that have never paid for meds or any kind,1 cancer and 2 ms and all 3 are living with very little.i also donate my time to my wifes church 2 x a year to do car/van/truck service for all the single mothers that go there.its a good group of guys and we spent our own money on parts and supplies.plus I always empty my pockets into that fuggin box on the counter at timmy hortons :)

Green Giant

Green Giant

I give to those that CAN'T not those who WON'T!!!

I'm an automotive technician by trade, So I have repaired many peoples cars for free over the years.

We donate clothes, toys (even organized a toys for tots drive one year) food, and whatever else they may need at the time.

My wife donates her time to the surrounding school districts to help feed the kids that have no food. I never knew that for some kids a school meal may be their only meal.

My heart says do more, but my bank account and time says something different... but I do what I can.

urbanfog

urbanfog

the last few years have been tough due to an accident, but I always try to give karma back. Sometimes to the point of getting in trouble with the misses. I just have always felt if I cant help someone I try and find a way too. Makes me feel good :)

GI JO

GI JO

I'm liking this thread, it's forcing me to take stock of my attitudes and actions. For the most part I am pretty self centered. I have donated food and cooking skills in the past to our local food bank, but it's time to do more.....bring on 2014, the year for my attitude change. Thanks Dave for starting this!

thump easy

thump easy

20130822 133239
20130822 133239

pinegrovedave

pinegrovedave

I'm waiting for Dave to recount the time he called the local food donation church thing outfit place and was told that they didn't need ANY help, thank you very much and Merry Fuckyou!
There's that and then there's when I applied to volunteer to be a CASA( Court Appointed Special Advocate) to help teenagers that are in trouble with the law. They were all about my previous experience taking in teenagers on probation...but when I told them that I was an advocate for the legalization of cannabis...They dropped me like a hot potato.

Top Bottom