Do you grow for hash production? Poll

• Thread starter nebulius
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Do you use good quality /marketable bud to make hash?

• Yes, I use quality buds to make hash.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • No, I dont use quality buds only popcorn buds and trim.

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
nebulius

nebulius

when in southeast Asia do as the southeast Asians. IE the best hash comes from the best bud. I like it so I do it. 2 or 3 small plants keeps me lacing jays for months.

Interesting Vierundzwanzig, what strains do you grow for making hash?

V

vierundzwanzig

bubble bags and dry ice until I get a keif screen. im not that much of a hash head where I look to grow hash specific strains unless you count bubblelicious. grew one sweet one that was extra leafy and all the leaf was crystal covered. i used two of the six ozs that the plant harvested in the bubble bags.

DSCF11731
El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Do you guys have any special method for breaking buds apart for better yield? Does the dry ice method deal with that issue better than water-ice?

Oh and I frequently use prime bud for my solvent extracts, especially in small amounts to sample a strain.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Do you guys have any special method for breaking buds apart for better yield? Does the dry ice method deal with that issue better than water-ice?

Oh and I frequently use prime bud for my solvent extracts, especially in small amounts to sample a strain.

Hey EC, good to see you in another thread! More noob questions! Can you suggest a good basic extract technique that does not require fancy tools. . .Are ISO extracts worth the time and effort? That seems to be the easiest non-cold water way to go. . .other than butane which I don't quite have the space for. Danks!

outwest

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Hey EC, good to see you in another thread! More noob questions! Can you suggest a good basic extract technique that does not require fancy tools. . .Are ISO extracts worth the time and effort? That seems to be the easiest non-cold water way to go. . .other than butane which I don't quite have the space for. Danks!

outwest

I do mostly just vacuum purged bho right now, without reclaiming because the amounts are so small. You can grab small tubes that hold maybe 10-20 grams or so at headshops or online these days, and of course the now time-honered stainless steel turkey blaster apparatus (they both fit the nipple on canned butane). $10-20 depending on what accessory items you have lying around the house, and no weird looking devices necessary. Safety is the big deal of course, outdoors only, no sparks, not for idiots or intoxicated folks, etc. Don't get lax or shit will blow up (always pass on the lecture when answering these questions). Anything bigger and reclaiming makes sense, check posts by Greywolf for relevant threads and geniusing. And I don't really like iso much, although no expert on it, always seems to have off flavors and flat effects, I'm spoiled by butane which is super clean for such an easily available non-toxic solvent.

To me, mechanical extraction like sieved hash and kief can be potentially richer as a connoisseur product, complex layered flavors with trichs more intact, things you can really taste with the right vapor apparatus (but of course those have more than just pure cb oils). On the other hand, good bho/wax can be really flavorful too, and it offers advantages like the option to remove more impurities for smooth operation in a pen-vaper, or even process further for patients who want certain effects over others.

hydrogen monoxide

hydrogen monoxide

i only use leaf and the rest of the crap not worth smoking.

Reactions: mal
outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I do mostly just vacuum purged bho right now, without reclaiming because the amounts are so small. You can grab small tubes that hold maybe 10-20 grams or so at headshops or online these days, and of course the now time-honered stainless steel turkey blaster apparatus (they both fit the nipple on canned butane). $10-20 depending on what accessory items you have lying around the house, and no weird looking devices necessary. Safety is the big deal of course, outdoors only, no sparks, not for idiots or intoxicated folks, etc. Don't get lax or shit will blow up (always pass on the lecture when answering these questions). Anything bigger and reclaiming makes sense, check posts by Greywolf for relevant threads and geniusing. And I don't really like iso much, although no expert on it, always seems to have off flavors and flat effects, I'm spoiled by butane which is super clean for such an easily available non-toxic solvent.

To me, mechanical extraction like sieved hash and kief can be potentially richer as a connoisseur product, complex layered flavors with trichs more intact, things you can really taste with the right vapor apparatus (but of course those have more than just pure cb oils). On the other hand, good bho/wax can be really flavorful too, and it offers advantages like the option to remove more impurities for smooth operation in a pen-vaper, or even process further for patients who want certain effects over others.

Thanks for the thoughtful and informative response!

outwest

D

donnie darko

For personal use Id say yeah lots of peeps would make a bit of hash from their plants. But commercially here the cost of time to turn a whole grow into hash id expect wouldn't be viable?
just a thought

cephalopoda

cephalopoda

there's no way i'd use premium heads to make hash. i would run at a loss if i did that

manitoid.

manitoid.

I try to choose strains that have high resin production, as I do make oil from the popcorn/sugar trim. I don't grow only for hash production however, and how well the buds smoke is very important.

nebulius

nebulius

there's no way i'd use premium heads to make hash. i would run at a loss if i did that
My question was referring to personal use. If you dedicate a plant or two specifically to make hash, or use some of the top quality buds you grew for hash. I realize that probably the only people who could turn whole grows into hash would be countries which have large commercial outdoor grows.

nebulius

nebulius

Maybe with legalization in the US we will make it on the map someday.
Come on America, get to work!

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I will probably turn most of My sour tsunami into oil or some other concentrate.
Cause it is a good producer of CBD...but really not a very good smoke IMO.
Maybe I could pay someone to do a Co2 extract for me...o_O (dreaming)

nebulius

nebulius

where did they get the data? I bet we make a ton here too. Although also bet our spot on the graph would rise pretty sharply over the past ~5 years?
UNODC- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.

They have ton's of info and statistics on drugs and crime. I found this really cool report with ton's of info. It's a bit much but has some really interesting and cool facts in it. Kind of big download 8mb.

According to this, 10.7% of the population in the USA or 32,520,000 people age 15-64 have used cannabis at least once is the past year. We should be able to make it legal with that many people using it!

FYI Warning!!!! The statistics on people going to rehab for cannabis is total bullshit though. Most all those people went to rehab because it was forced on them by the courts or as an option instead of serving time. I've heard of prohibition folks quoting this data trying to make it sound like people go to rehab for weed.

View attachment The_cannabis_market.pdf
nebulius

nebulius

I didn't read the whole thing Cerebro so post anything from it that you find to be interesting.

Thoth

Thoth

I've only ever used popcorn buds and leaf. The idea of using good buds is foreign to me. Seeing as you can make good hash out of otherwise not so good material, it makes perfect sense. But making hash out of my best material? Wouldn't do it.

That list of the top hash producing countries of the world is pretty interesting. There are a number of countries listed there that I had no idea about: Spain, Albania, Paraguay and 'other Balkan' countries.

Latest posts

Top Bottom