Do you protect your outdoor plants against rain?

• Thread starter mashy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mashy

mashy

Hi all,
My outdoor plants are just starting flowering and I have been trying to work out whether to cover them from rain. From my reading, it seems like there is a range of views. Was wondering what growers here think. Do you protect your plants from heavy rains during flower? Do you protect from all rain? Does the local temperature make a big difference? What happens to the buds if you don't cover them (mould, reduced potency)? Am I wasting my time even thinking this is an issue? All opinions welcome, any advice and reasons would be appreciated.

Chester13

Chester13

I don't worry about rain at all until last couple of weeks of flower. Make sure you've done proper pruning techniques, or training methods to allow proper airflow. I don't know where you're located but I'm from BC Canada. I don't have to worry about rain in my region, frost is the killer here. Prolonged periods of rain can definitely fuck things up closer to the end.

uphere

uphere

hey Mashy, great question. I'm interested in some opinions myself. I usually drag my ladies into the barn when crappy weather happens. I've been doing this for the 5 or 6 years. Prior to that, they where left outside regardless. Started seeing more PM over the past 5 or 6 years. Weird weather patterns uphere over the last several years.

mashy

mashy

I don't worry about rain at all until last couple of weeks of flower. Make sure you've done proper pruning techniques, or training methods to allow proper airflow. I don't know where you're located but I'm from BC Canada. I don't have to worry about rain in my region, frost is the killer here. Prolonged periods of rain can definitely fuck things up closer to the end.
Thanks @Chester13. I'm in southern Australia, frost won't be a problem until after harvest, but we are having a pretty wet summer. Plants have been trained low and wide as per pics. I do have the ability to set up a temp cover to protect them from the worst of the rain so I think I'll try that so this season. Can't move them undercover because they are too big 😁. The only place they would fit is the carport, and whilst it would make for good viewing for the neighbours I doubt they would last long.
IMG 20210208 211059

mashy

mashy

hey Mashy, great question. I'm interested in some opinions myself. I usually drag my ladies into the barn when crappy weather happens. I've been doing this for the 5 or 6 years. Prior to that, they where left outside regardless. Started seeing more PM over the past 5 or 6 years. Weird weather patterns uphere over the last several years.
Hey @uphere, thanks for the reply. Did you have any problems with rain before you started taking you plants to the barn?

mashy

mashy

Nar i dont protect them ..i just make sure the branches are all supported to take the extra weight..
Thanks @Madmax, I take it that the added weight is the only real issue you have with rain in your area. No problems with mould/mildew if they get a good soaking?

mancorn

mancorn

If you’re plant is late into flower it’s very likely that the extra weight will take down the plant. I don’t get summer rains, but always have some kind of cover for the fall rains. Depending on your grow size, a PVC hoop house with a large tarp is cheap and easy to install over rebar stakes.

83EDC55D 4D64 4C4B A341 E30BC23618BD

mashy

mashy

If you’re plant is late into flower it’s very likely that the extra weight will take down the plant. I don’t get summer rains, but always have some kind of cover for the fall rains. Depending on your grow size, a PVC hoop house with a large tarp is cheap and easy to install over rebar stakes.

View attachment 1090454
Very nice setup! I have a smaller crop so am thinking I will just use a tarpaulin and some posts to cover them from the heavy falls. And maybe some stakes for the larger branches. Will post photos next time it rains here.

Madmax

Madmax

I did get some one year but they were huge mofo buds and had a bit of leaf around them as long as you get some wind after they should b right..just check for yellowing you will notice it if you do get it..ive only had it once in 30years growing.its just those big tight leafy buds lol..i get rains here in last weeks.i just shake the excess off them..

mancorn

mancorn

Thanks @Madmax, I take it that the added weight is the only real issue you have with rain in your area. No problems with mould/mildew if they get a good soaking?
Yes, your large buds will definitely trap water and lead to bud rot. If you grow in a moist area, it’s important to make sure your buds don’t stack up super tight. I know everyone loves big dense buds, but they’re a mold magnet in the rain. I actually get a ton of morning dew, where I’ll have moisture dripping off the buds throughout the summer.

5E86D981 A825 48B6 901C F236C6A89653

mancorn

mancorn

Very nice setup! I have a smaller crop so am thinking I will just use a tarpaulin and some posts to cover them from the heavy falls. And maybe some stakes for the larger branches. Will post photos next time it rains here.
Just be careful that the tarp doesn’t trap water. Amazing how a tarp can collect a lot of water real quick and then it can collapse onto your plants. So make sure and stick in a high middle “circus tent style” pole.

Last edited:
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I keep my outdoor closet to back eves of the house they get very little rain and it does do damage in the later part of the heading period I've lost a crop of 300 odd in a big plot in Nimbin many years ago now I've even tied them down over to there base use the leaves as a rain coat .

uphere

uphere

Hey @uphere, thanks for the reply. Did you have any problems with rain before you started taking you plants to the barn?
For the longest time my only worries consisted of small mammals, deer and the occasional spider mites but about 8 years ago we started getting PM and rot. So about 5 or 6 years ago we started to slide into the barn with any rain. Not really sure what happened but I've been in the same field for almost 25 yrs and it was only recently has the environment become problematic.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

no way man, sky water is the best thing round. i protect against hail and snow and a bunch of other things using hail net its a white plastic mesh with only 5% UV loss very good stuff but kinda a pain to keep up and outta the way. healthy large strong outdoor plants dont need anything but some support to make it thru usually.

mashy

mashy

For the longest time my only worries consisted of small mammals, deer and the occasional spider mites but about 8 years ago we started getting PM and rot. So about 5 or 6 years ago we started to slide into the barn with any rain. Not really sure what happened but I've been in the same field for almost 25 yrs and it was only recently has the environment become problematic.
Hmmmm, I hate PM. always fighting the battle with my zucchini plants. I think that rain will be my main threat here, but it's my first grow so who knows what will turn up.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Hmmmm, I hate PM. always fighting the battle with my zucchini plants. I think that rain will be my main threat here, but it's my first grow so who knows what will turn up.
Spray milk out over your crops the pm feeds up on the bacteria and drops off it's a band-aid method I use all the time

mashy

mashy

Spray milk out over your crops the pm feeds up on the bacteria and drops off it's a band-aid method I use all the time
Definitely the best and easiest that I have found too. I use 10% milk spray to keep PM at bay, but I can NEVER eliminate it from my zuchs. I even grow them vertically up a stake to keep them off the ground. Will post a photo on the general gardening thread 👍

mashy

mashy

A
I keep my outdoor closet to back eves of the house they get very little rain and it does do damage in the later part of the heading period I've lost a crop of 300 odd in a big plot in Nimbin many years ago now I've even tied them down over to there base use the leaves as a rain coat .
Ah Nimbin, good times. I know I'm gonna like a place when the first things I see are the Hemp Embassy in the main Street, just up from the aged care home painted top to bottom in rainbow colours.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Strain selection is paramount if late-flower stage rain is an issue. Once that's done it's more an issue of support for wet colas. Here in North America i favor Dr. Greenthumb's Iranian crosses; Iranian Diesel and Chemo Iranian being two favorites, Oh Zone has also done well for me too.

I've lost up to 75% of an Original Sensible Seeds, Black Destroyer grow, despite tarping and running a fan for airflow. Doc's Chemo Iranian; Iranian Diesel; Oh Zone; and Sin City Seeds, Sin Mint Cookies and that strange early finishing Sativa of unknown makeup all did well in open air. Lots of plant yoyos strung on accessory cord and internal staking. Gently shook the colas after heavy rain as well. There were also more than a few snapped stems repaired with gardener's tape; i used RhinoSkin silica supplementation as well.

These are from 2016; red top stakes are 7'

Sept 1

2015 Iranian Diesel

Harvest Close-up of Iranian Diesel shown above

Top Bottom