Do you protect your outdoor plants against rain?

• Thread starter mashy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Thanks @Chester13. I'm in southern Australia, frost won't be a problem until after harvest, but we are having a pretty wet summer. Plants have been trained low and wide as per pics. I do have the ability to set up a temp cover to protect them from the worst of the rain so I think I'll try that so this season. Can't move them undercover because they are too big 😁. The only place they would fit is the carport, and whilst it would make for good viewing for the neighbours I doubt they would last long.
View attachment 1090447
Looking good on that pic, just make sure they dont tip over in the wind.

I am always worried when the rains start, but its almost always the same story, they look better after the rain.

Only once had a serious PM issue in a very wet fall.
I washed those buds right after harvest with the Jorge Cervantes method, with water and H2O2, works really well.

We have very hot and dry summers.
Usually about 3 days heavy rain in october, gota fría.
Even then, only real problem is the buds affected by caterpillars.
They start rotting real soon if i dont cut them away.

The trichomes arent going to be washed away in the rain, so no worries.
Try genetics that are resistent, usually sativas handle rain better.
Or quick finishers like fast version.
Good luck

mashy

mashy

Looking good on that pic, just make sure they dont tip over in the wind.

I am always worried when the rains start, but its almost always the same story, they look better after the rain.

Only once had a serious PM issue in a very wet fall.
I washed those buds right after harvest with the Jorge Cervantes method, with water and H2O2, works really well.

We have very hot and dry summers.
Usually about 3 days heavy rain in october, gota fría.
Even then, only real problem is the buds affected by caterpillars.
They start rotting real soon if i dont cut them away.

The trichomes arent going to be washed away in the rain, so no worries.
Try genetics that are resistent, usually sativas handle rain better.
Or quick finishers like fast version.
Good luck
Hey @Poekie thanks for your insights and tips. I'm pretty sheltered from wind but exposed to rain, particularly because we are having a wet summer compared to usual. I have sprayed BT as a protective measure against caterpillars as I have seen a few moths in the plants, due for a follow up spray soon. Hope this helps me out with them.
From the advice given in this thread I think I will try to keep most of them dry this season. My main concern is PM with my first grow, and I will take some more risks next season. Just being cautious because I don't want major problems having come this far. I must admit I'm a bit of a worrier.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Hey @Poekie thanks for your insights and tips. I'm pretty sheltered from wind but exposed to rain, particularly because we are having a wet summer compared to usual. I have sprayed BT as a protective measure against caterpillars as I have seen a few moths in the plants, due for a follow up spray soon. Hope this helps me out with them.
From the advice given in this thread I think I will try to keep most of them dry this season. My main concern is PM with my first grow, and I will take some more risks next season. Just being cautious because I don't want major problems having come this far. I must admit I'm a bit of a worrier.
Maybe not so much worrying, just trying to prevent, thats all i do.
Going over all possible scenarios in my mind.
Me too, i spray BT about 3 times, It works quite well, especially for the young small caterpillars.
I tried one plant without spraying BT as a test and she was severly damaged by caterpillars.
And curious that out here caterpillars are my biggest concern, when up to about 10 years ago i hardly ever saw them.
Could they have specialized in cannabis ?
Also, to prevent PM i make a spray from horsetail, high in silica.
And there are some organic sprays available against PM, with for example cinnamon.
Havent tried milk yet.
Take care

mashy

mashy

Maybe not so much worrying, just trying to prevent, thats all i do.
Going over all possible scenarios in my mind.
Me too, i spray BT about 3 times, It works quite well, especially for the young small caterpillars.
I tried one plant without spraying BT as a test and she was severly damaged by caterpillars.
And curious that out here caterpillars are my biggest concern, when up to about 10 years ago i hardly ever saw them.
Could they have specialized in cannabis ?
Also, to prevent PM i make a spray from horsetail, high in silica.
And there are some organic sprays available against PM, with for example cinnamon.
Havent tried milk yet.
Take care
Excellent, thanks for the tips. Good to hear that I'm on the right track with BT because caterpillars can be a problem here - you should see my apples 🐛🍎yum! Also will consider the PM sprays you mentioned if I can't keep them dry enough.
Interesting with the recent changes with caterpillars. I think our seasons have been changing for the past 10-15 years. Less consistent rain (mainly none, with the odd season of shitloads) and also plants are slightly later than they were 15 years ago. Particularly finishing, last year I got cucs and zuchs until May, and was still harvesting Basil in June.

mashy

mashy

Hi again. We have had our first real rains since I first posted and I set up a tarp as planned. No centre pole but the runoff is behaving. Could only fit six so I have one lonely wet girl 😓. Hopefully this helps with the PM.

IMG20210304163629
IMG20210304163651
IMG20210304163705
IMG20210304163755

IMG20210304163755
Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

Yes definitely protect from rain especially when your buds are getting dense, very unfortunate to get mold after a long season!

Even just a simple pvc hoop house I cover/uncover when it's nice will help a lot!

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Nice, looks cozy under that tarp, and a bit full.
Hope you still have some airflow underneath, or can you put a fan there ?
Maybe also take away some leaves from the bottom and middle to get some more ventilation.
Good luck !

mashy

mashy

Nice, looks cozy under that tarp, and a bit full.
Hope you still have some airflow underneath, or can you put a fan there ?
Maybe also take away some leaves from the bottom and middle to get some more ventilation.
Good luck !
Thanks, I had to bunch them up a bit to fit under and will get them out into the sun as soon as it clears. It's a little more humid under there than I would like but should be less than 24 hours.
On the airflow I have been debating whether I do another prune purely based on opening the middle for flow. So many varying opinions out there, particularly for outdoors. You think I could cut out some of the centre leaves and small branches? About week 4-5 of flower.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Thanks, I had to bunch them up a bit to fit under and will get them out into the sun as soon as it clears. It's a little more humid under there than I would like but should be less than 24 hours.
On the airflow I have been debating whether I do another prune purely based on opening the middle for flow. So many varying opinions out there, particularly for outdoors. You think I could cut out some of the centre leaves and small branches? About week 4-5 of flower.
I would certainly take some leaves off from the bottom and centre, nothing extreme, just to open up a bit.

Maybe also some small branches that didnt get much sunshine and have less developed buds.

Check the plants daily to see if there is any PM.

Interesting to see if there will be difference with the one that didnt fit under the tarp.

And yes, many ways to grow a plant, many opinions...

mashy

mashy

I would certainly take some leaves off from the bottom and centre, nothing extreme, just to open up a bit.

Maybe also some small branches that didnt get much sunshine and have less developed buds.

Check the plants daily to see if there is any PM.

Interesting to see if there will be difference with the one that didnt fit under the tarp.

And yes, many ways to grow a plant, many opinions...
Thanks heaps @Poekie, it's really helpful to be able to throw around ideas with someone who is experienced. And it helps when I'm sitting on the fence - decided that I'm going to open them up today with some light pruning.

I'll keep a close eye out for PM, and I'll let you know how the wet girl went just with staking and shaking. Stay well 🙂

mashy

mashy

Some of my plants after pruning centre small branches and lower leaves. Went a bit harder than planned on one or two plants, but I feel heaps better about PM. I guess it's full speed to the finish line from here.

Gelat OG pruned and staked
IMG20210305140354

And one of my mini scrog Blueberry girls.
IMG20210305151508

IMG20210305151532

IMG20210305151532
Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Thanks heaps @Poekie, it's really helpful to be able to throw around ideas with someone who is experienced. And it helps when I'm sitting on the fence - decided that I'm going to open them up today with some light pruning.

I'll keep a close eye out for PM, and I'll let you know how the wet girl went just with staking and shaking. Stay well 🙂
No worries, this plant has given me so much in so many different ways, a passion for over 30 years.
I really enjoy being able to give some advice to the next generation.
Looking forward to see how your plants are gonna be flowering.
Take care

mashy

mashy

I harvested my Blueberry girls yesterday and the Gelat OG are close. Keeping them dry didn't go to plan as a big storm shredded by tarp and soaked my buds a few weeks ago. All plants started getting budrot after the soaking, but I managed to contain it by keeping the plants dry until harvest.
My findings incase they help anyone in the future

- In my climate (cool temperate in southern Australia) I need to keep buds dry after a few weeks of flowering. One good soaking is all it took for rot to start

- If growing outside again I would definitely look for resistant genetics. I think autos and earlier finishers would still struggle getting soaked during flowering by a summer storm.

- If plants get wet you can recover (to a degree) by fixing the environment and removing budrot at first sign. I will do a follow up post on this later with photos.

If anyone has some great recommendations for rot resistant strains that I could try please post. I'm talking about plants I could put in the ground with rain and not have a single worry - if they exist?
✌️☮️

CanadianMillenialGrower

CanadianMillenialGrower

Honestly rain doesn't have much of a effect on outdoor plants (bud rot and excessive moisture) if you go out after rain and make sure to shake them off of all the water that has collected on the buds. If you can cover the plant during rain then this would be best obviously

Og_punkgenetics

Og_punkgenetics

Hi all,
My outdoor plants are just starting flowering and I have been trying to work out whether to cover them from rain. From my reading, it seems like there is a range of views. Was wondering what growers here think. Do you protect your plants from heavy rains during flower? Do you protect from all rain? Does the local temperature make a big difference? What happens to the buds if you don't cover them (mould, reduced potency)? Am I wasting my time even thinking this is an issue? All opinions welcome, any advice and reasons would be appreciated.
If they're in flower yes i protect them from rain.

Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

OG kush is famously mold resistant, bred specifically to give California coast growers a kush that would take the wet climate. That's why it is the OG- Ocean Grown.

mashy

mashy

OG kush is famously mold resistant, bred specifically to give California coast growers a kush that would take the wet climate. That's why it is the OG- Ocean Grown.
Thanks @Mostlymooses, in my reading I didn't come across OG Kush as a recommendation for wet weather but I will look into it. Was on my wish list already so might need to bump it up a few places. In the end I had no PM but did have problems with budrot. ☹️

BudBogart

BudBogart

I don’t use any cover. I do shake off the trees after a good soaking (wear a raincoat) and I have even used a leaf blower to rid the plants of water.

Aceman103

Aceman103

I usually build a small lean to and cover them dont let the plant touch the sides or top because that can cause problems or put them inside if they're in pots and put them back out when the rain stops that reason is why i grow in pots so i can move them if need be

Hi all,
My outdoor plants are just starting flowering and I have been trying to work out whether to cover them from rain. From my reading, it seems like there is a range of views. Was wondering what growers here think. Do you protect your plants from heavy rains during flower? Do you protect from all rain? Does the local temperature make a big difference? What happens to the buds if you don't cover them (mould, reduced potency)? Am I wasting my time even thinking this is an issue? All opinions welcome, any advice and reasons would be appreciated.

bobbobby

bobbobby

If you’re plant is late into flower it’s very likely that the extra weight will take down the plant. I don’t get summer rains, but always have some kind of cover for the fall rains. Depending on your grow size, a PVC hoop house with a large tarp is cheap and easy to install over rebar stakes.

View attachment 1090454
2 summers ago i had this tall N lights outside tht was almost done flowering... It rained so hard 1 day tht they layed right over almost touching the ground.... I cut iT... haa

Top Bottom