Do you think these are broad mite eggs?

• Thread starter ProhibitionGardens
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ProhibitionGardens

ProhibitionGardens

Hello everyone, and thanks for taking a look! Ok so a little background: 1.5 years ago I fought and fought broad mites and finally licked them using wettable sulfur and vaporizing sulfur...closed down shop due to a move...just sprouted some nice beans a couple of months ago and made a noob mistake of keeping the freshly sprouted seedlings in a dome which brought in Fungus Gnats, which then screwed the seedlings up; but I started seeing the tell tale signs of BM or RM (twisting/puffy leaf margins) and culled them out. After the maybe rash decision I couldn't help but wonder if these were symptoms of a failing young root system, not the stupid Broad Mite.

Well I got my hands on some new babies (clones) and preventativly applied wettable sulfur and now have a new USB microscope. Over the last few days of scoping things I've been noticing these translucent round ovals all over the leaves, but not a single movement anywhere. Do you guys think these are BM eggs?? The white stuff is the sulfur residue.
Do you think these are broad mite eggs 4
Do you think these are broad mite eggs
Do you think these are broad mite eggs 2
Do you think these are broad mite eggs 3
Do you think these are broad mite eggs 4
Do you think these are broad mite eggs 5
Do you think these are broad mite eggs 6
Do you think these are broad mite eggs 7

Homesteader

Homesteader

Look under any of the folded leaves. No doubt they are they somewhere.
Personally I would cut off most of the leaves and then do a dip after to better your chances.
Get rid of your soil too and start fresh.

cloudyhelads

cloudyhelads

Adults are pretty fast, abhorrent to light and therefore harder to see than the eggs. Broad mite eggs look like little jewels. I can’t tell from pictures. I needed a real student microscope to I’d them on my plants. They’re a bitch to get rid of. Micronized sulphur, pfr-97, grandevo and oroboost all in rotation a few days apart. That’s how I beat them...for now.

ProhibitionGardens

ProhibitionGardens

Look under any of the folded leaves. No doubt they are they somewhere.
Personally I would cut off most of the leaves and then do a dip after to better your chances.
Get rid of your soil too and start fresh.
A dip in what? The sulfur seems to leave more residue on the plants when applied with a good sprayer than it does when dipped. I have some harsh shtuff (avid and forbid mainly) which seemed to do nada last time I battled these bastards. Also neem, alcohol, spinosad, horticultural oils, and citric acid products, all seemed to have little to no LASTING effect during the last battle, and all sit seemingly useless in my arsenal.

ProhibitionGardens

ProhibitionGardens

Adults are pretty fast, abhorrent to light and therefore harder to see than the eggs. Broad mite eggs look like little jewels. I can’t tell from pictures. I needed a real student microscope to I’d them on my plants. They’re a bitch to get rid of. Micronized sulphur, pfr-97, grandevo and oroboost all in rotation a few days apart. That’s how I beat them...for now.
Eh, "for now", that's exactly how I feel, even after a year and a half off here we go again🤬

Homesteader

Homesteader

Luckily the plants are small but its going to be a headache either way. Clean off the soil from the roots and dunk the whole thing
I would start with a mixture of dish soap (1 tsp) and neem should dry out the eggs. Dunk them and let it dry (not the roots though) then dunk again in a warm water bath. Do this a few times and the eggs wont be viable anymore. Leave only the growing tips and dump your soil.
A pain in the ass but the alternative is to start from scratch.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I would clean off that sulfur first like someone else suggested and snap a few more photos. Broad mite eggs will have small little bumps on their surface under the microscope. Could be a different mite also but the rememdy is the same.

THCMonster

THCMonster

A dip in what? The sulfur seems to leave more residue on the plants when applied with a good sprayer than it does when dipped. I have some harsh shtuff (avid and forbid mainly) which seemed to do nada last time I battled these bastards. Also neem, alcohol, spinosad, horticultural oils, and citric acid products, all seemed to have little to no LASTING effect during the last battle, and all sit seemingly useless in my arsenal.

I have done tests with broad mites in a petri dish with avid, they literally just swim in the stuff, the downside with BM and RM is that they can burrow into the top layer of the leaf to protect themselves from foliar sprays.

I also used a 1000x microscope but they were always present with their eggs.

The dunk like @Homesteader mentioned will be the most effective, but thats dependent on how big your plants are, I know alot of my customers a couple years ago when this out broke in Michigan used Big Time Exterminator to get rid of them. As well as Azamax to stop them from being able to reproduce.

But when you do the dunk you have to submerge your plant for up to 2-5min to both fully coat and affectively suffocate them.

In the petri dish thats the only way I noticed it actually killed them.

Another way I killed them was to put plants infected with them into a 5 gal bucket with a sealable lid, and cut a hose hole out each side and run co2 to about 2000ppm for a couple hours in there. Its the ONLY way i have seen to kill them without any pesticides, but it will tweak out your plants a little. But i saw absolutely NO movement at all from them or later on even the eggs didnt hatch. So thats a possibility.

Personally if i got infected with them unless I really cared about the Genetics i would just cut my loses!

But ive seen people save genetics by taking clones and dunking them then rooting them out and dunking them again.

ProhibitionGardens

ProhibitionGardens

I would clean off that sulfur first like someone else suggested and snap a few more photos. Broad mite eggs will have small little bumps on their surface under the microscope. Could be a different mite also but the rememdy is the same.
Right, looks more like a cyclamen (sp?) mite now that you both mention it. I'll clean up and update

Growing_Garbage

Growing_Garbage

I have battled the russet mites and the spider mites, but also the "I think I have mites" too. I would probably wash that residue off and make sure that is not what you're seeing. I would look right into the node growth for the broad/russet and double check theres no live ones, but those plants look a bit too good I think to really be infested with BM. Maybe just time for a bigger cup?

Root issues were my "I think I have mites again", it was just cold and plants were on the floor in the basement. Curled growth, stunting, random deficient looking leaves, etc. I threw those right out, only to find them growing fine in the compost pile behind the shed after winter. Pretty sure they were fine, they made it three months in the snow all alone.

Also I never had any luck with the expensive harsh chemicals either. Soap, neem, biofoliar 2days apart in rotation for 6 weeks no breaks, was how I got them all outta there finally. Didn't kill those plants, but would've been easier to just start over probably. They were actually infested and the leaves glossed up and plants had zero growth for a month. Still got 9 zips off 2 super thrashed plants after that, but they were vegged 6 months while doing all the killing, so thats not great. Got to keep my clone only Banner 3 though :)

Seraphine

Seraphine

You probably already know this, broad mite eggs are oval, clear with with white bumps. Cylamen mite eggs are oval and clear, no white bumps. I tried to zoom in on the “eggs” bite couldn’t get a clear enough picture.

THCMonster

THCMonster

These are russet mites under 1000X microscope! See the white globular round formations all around the broad mites, those are their eggs!

I have more video but unfortunately they are too long to be uploaded on here!

If you dont see any maggot looking things on your leaves under 1000x scope then i wouldnt worry. It would be damn near impossible that there are NONE around on your leaves if you had eggs! Just double check it from time to time!

Broad mites almost identical just more tear drop shaped and clear, almost see through!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hello everyone, and thanks for taking a look! Ok so a little background: 1.5 years ago I fought and fought broad mites and finally licked them using wettable sulfur and vaporizing sulfur...closed down shop due to a move...just sprouted some nice beans a couple of months ago and made a noob mistake of keeping the freshly sprouted seedlings in a dome which brought in Fungus Gnats, which then screwed the seedlings up; but I started seeing the tell tale signs of BM or RM (twisting/puffy leaf margins) and culled them out. After the maybe rash decision I couldn't help but wonder if these were symptoms of a failing young root system, not the stupid Broad Mite.

Well I got my hands on some new babies (clones) and preventativly applied wettable sulfur and now have a new USB microscope. Over the last few days of scoping things I've been noticing these translucent round ovals all over the leaves, but not a single movement anywhere. Do you guys think these are BM eggs?? The white stuff is the sulfur residue.View attachment 939587View attachment 939584View attachment 939585View attachment 939586View attachment 939587View attachment 939588View attachment 939589View attachment 939590
No, they are part of the leaf. There was a recent thread about this exact topic on here, if I find it I'll post a link

Top Bottom