Do you think these are broad mite eggs?

• Thread starter ProhibitionGardens
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hello everyone, and thanks for taking a look! Ok so a little background: 1.5 years ago I fought and fought broad mites and finally licked them using wettable sulfur and vaporizing sulfur...closed down shop due to a move...just sprouted some nice beans a couple of months ago and made a noob mistake of keeping the freshly sprouted seedlings in a dome which brought in Fungus Gnats, which then screwed the seedlings up; but I started seeing the tell tale signs of BM or RM (twisting/puffy leaf margins) and culled them out. After the maybe rash decision I couldn't help but wonder if these were symptoms of a failing young root system, not the stupid Broad Mite.

Well I got my hands on some new babies (clones) and preventativly applied wettable sulfur and now have a new USB microscope. Over the last few days of scoping things I've been noticing these translucent round ovals all over the leaves, but not a single movement anywhere. Do you guys think these are BM eggs?? The white stuff is the sulfur residue.View attachment 939587View attachment 939584View attachment 939585View attachment 939586View attachment 939587View attachment 939588View attachment 939589View attachment 939590
Found it, here ya go bud, this will explain what you're seeing, good luck!

ProhibitionGardens

ProhibitionGardens

Found it, here ya go bud, this will explain what you're seeing, good luck!

Oh man thank you so much! I am almost certain after hours of scoping the new growth that what I'm seeing are these capitate‐sessile trichomes, but I will continue to scope things and post any new findings as to help anyone else that goes through this "oh shit I think I've got mites again" infestation of the mind lol.

ProhibitionGardens

ProhibitionGardens

Check out these pictures! The scope was almost zoomed all the way in, I'd say about 800x..🤷‍♂️
Still no movement visible anywhere I've looked, but these pictures are interesting. Also, the one strain is still tocoing considerably, but that could be due to the following. There seems to be some pythium present in the root systems, no clue as to how how when I'm in a living soil teaming with bennes, I've even got some mycelium looking substance so I assume my soil is in decent shape. In response to the root rot I applied SLF 100 at 3tsp/gal yesyerday and they seemed to have lost some color.

20200219 111032
20200219 111008
20200219 110913
20200219 110904
20200219 110841
ProhibitionGardens

ProhibitionGardens

Staying too wet; recommend you up-pot into their final homes with some well-draining medium, good luck!
Thanks beachwalker, your responses are greatly appreciated. I had planned on transplanting today but wasnt sure if it was ideal with them seeming a little stressed, but I will go on with it as planned.

Seraphine

Seraphine

I agree. It’s a fuzzy mold growing because it’s too wet and humid. Baking soda will kill that. I just bought some baking for that same problem on some (non cannabis) slow germinating seeds and slow growing seedlings.

ProhibitionGardens

ProhibitionGardens

I agree. It’s a fuzzy mold growing because it’s too wet and humid. Baking soda will kill that. I just bought some baking for that same problem on some (non cannabis) slow germinating seeds and slow growing seedlings.
Will baking soda kill off my beneficial fungi and bacteria also?

Seraphine

Seraphine

It could possibly kill off any beneficial fungi. Not sure about the bacteria

Seraphine

Seraphine

If you’re worried about that, you should just scrape the mold off and improve drainage. Like the other person said. Make sure you let the top inch or two of your soil dry out

ProhibitionGardens

ProhibitionGardens

If you’re worried about that, you should just scrape the mold off and improve drainage. Like the other person said. Make sure you let the top inch or two of your soil dry out
Oddly enough the fungus appeared in the morning a few days ago when they were dry and ready for a watering. 🤷‍♂️

THCMonster

THCMonster

Dont kill it! Its Mychorrhizae fungus! Very beneficial, as long as your roots are still pearly white then I wouldnt worry!

I cant tell you how many people both at my store and even on here use Promix- BX and run into this problem and think they have bad mold!

What that basically says is that your soil is highly active with microbial growth!

I do agree with everyone though it is an indication of your soil being too wet.

Screenshot 20200219 162252
Screenshot 20200219 162414

You have living soil mann... Dont kill it!

Last edited:
ProhibitionGardens

ProhibitionGardens

Dont kill it! Its Mychorrhizae fungus! Very beneficial, as long as your roots are still pearly white then I wouldnt worry!

I cant tell you how many people both at my store and even on here use Promix- BX and run into this problem and think they have bad mold!

What that basically says is that your soil is highly active with microbial growth!

I do agree with everyone though it is an indication of your soil being too wet.

View attachment 942887View attachment 942888

You have living soil mann... Dont kill it!
That's exactly was I was thinking based on photos and what not from some of the no till guys I follow on the gram. Side note, or question, do any of you happen to know if the premixed super soils can support red wigglers? Im wondering if it can supprt them so I can benefit from the aeration of them munching around. I plan on working my way up to building my own soil but I just bought bagged until I learn more, and dont really want to add more perlite to the mix.

THCMonster

THCMonster

I know that if your using any kind of fertilizers with the soil then no, worms will die!

But I have a good amount of growers that use red wigglers in pure HAPPY FROG with added perlite, all they do is amend the top of the soil with things like Kelp Meal, Fish Meal, and Crab Meal/Lobster Meal and their shit comes out straight fire! They dont yield as much as liquid nutrients, but flavor is out of this world!

They have actually let me come to their houses to check out their operations (and of course smoke). The biggest thing is you have to use extremely clean water, even tap water bubbled for 24 hrs is not enough. Because there are chloramides and floramides in the water that dont evaporate they will eventually kill off the worms.

But if you have RO or even a REALLY good de-chlorination filter then i would say go for it!

You will know if somethings going wrong because the worms will be trying to escape! But it they are all good and loving life then they will stay in the soil!

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

That's exactly was I was thinking based on photos and what not from some of the no till guys I follow on the gram. Side note, or question, do any of you happen to know if the premixed super soils can support red wigglers? Im wondering if it can supprt them so I can benefit from the aeration of them munching around. I plan on working my way up to building my own soil but I just bought bagged until I learn more, and dont really want to add more perlite to the mix.

Red wigglers and perlite don't mix- it's really abrasive to them. If you want to incorporate live worms you'll likely need to design a soil around it.

THCMonster

THCMonster

Red wigglers and perlite don't mix- it's really abrasive to them. If you want to incorporate live worms you'll likely need to design a soil around it.

Ill have to let my 5 customers that successfully grow in soil with perlite added this new revelation!

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Ill have to let my 5 customers that successfully grow in soil with perlite added this new revelation!

Do you check with them to see if the worms are alive at harvest?

Put red wigglers in soil with Perlite in it and watch them sometime. They pretty clearly hate it.

THCMonster

THCMonster

Do you check with them to see if the worms are alive at harvest?

Put red wigglers in soil with Perlite in it and watch them sometime. They pretty clearly hate it.

Actually I have, 2 out of the 5 customers at my store that use worms in their pots indoors actually showed me how they reuse their at the end of their grow! With red wigglers all you have to do is check a couple inches below the soil to know if they are alive! Now is the case for all 5 customers... I cant tell you... But the 2 that showed me had 1000's of worms in each pot!

Idk if you tried your shot at using worms in pots of soil and failed so you chalked it up to it being the Perlite's fault but I do better with visual representation, so if I see 5 customers at my store rocking vermicompost pots out then that makes me a believer!

Also i use promix outside for my outdoor grows (which has lots of perlite) and i have mad earthworms swimming their way through my soil when I lift up my pots, ive even seen them coming out of the pots multiple times outdoors when I do a heavy feeding.

Now dont get me wrong, ill agree with you that the perlite is probably abrasive to worms!

But im gonna definitely have to disagree with you on anyone having to redesign their soil around worms just because some perlites in there. Mostly just because ive seen multiple successful grows with it!

Usually when people cant keep worms around or the worms are irritated its because their soil is Shit! Not because of perlite!

QuindariousGooch

QuindariousGooch

Hello everyone, and thanks for taking a look! Ok so a little background: 1.5 years ago I fought and fought broad mites and finally licked them using wettable sulfur and vaporizing sulfur...closed down shop due to a move...just sprouted some nice beans a couple of months ago and made a noob mistake of keeping the freshly sprouted seedlings in a dome which brought in Fungus Gnats, which then screwed the seedlings up; but I started seeing the tell tale signs of BM or RM (twisting/puffy leaf margins) and culled them out. After the maybe rash decision I couldn't help but wonder if these were symptoms of a failing young root system, not the stupid Broad Mite.

Well I got my hands on some new babies (clones) and preventativly applied wettable sulfur and now have a new USB microscope. Over the last few days of scoping things I've been noticing these translucent round ovals all over the leaves, but not a single movement anywhere. Do you guys think these are BM eggs?? The white stuff is the sulfur residue.View attachment 939587View attachment 939584View attachment 939585View attachment 939586View attachment 939587View attachment 939588View attachment 939589View attachment 939590
I do not think that those are eggs. I don't see any with legs!
Be happy it's plant parts and not a nest... Wash off that stuff and get some rest
also, if there were that many eggs the leaf would be hammered... I think your good.

Top Bottom