Does anyone make their own compost?

• Thread starter GoldiNugs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kolah

Damn! I would love all of that for my chickenbirds.

Yeah SM, they give me so much that I can also I feed it to my chickens ans horses as well. Every day I drive home with 4-5 large boxes loaded with watermelon, cantalope and honeydew rinds, lettuce cores and outer leaves, onion, avacado and potato peelings, celery root , green and red pepper cores...etc etc.

My horses love the fruit rinds....and since I have never used commercial dewormers on them they can eat just about anything without any worry of colic issues.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
<shudder> Colic. You know, I lost my first show horse to colic due to *not* being wormed when she was young. She developed these two HUGE stones in her intestines, each was about the size of a football. It was awful, three long, agonizing days of awful. 12yo, it was my decision, had to watch as the large animal disposal people came and hooked up that cable to her pastern, and SO unceremoniously hauled her up into that truck with the other dead horses. I've lost more to colic than I can count. Don't get me started on bad foalings.

A lot can go wrong with a horse's guts. But deworming isn't one of them.

K

kolah

I de-worm them with holistic preps and avoid the commercial stuff which IMO makes them more prone to colic...due it's high toxicity and it's production of non-resistant super worms. Although not 100 accurate I also have their stool samples evaluated periodically.

forsaken

forsaken

Other than turnaround time, what are the advantages of hot vs cold composting? Do you end up with the same product either way, or do they both have their own microbial makeup?

spore

spore

Other than turnaround time, what are the advantages of hot vs cold composting? Do you end up with the same product either way, or do they both have their own microbial makeup?

hot composting kills bad bacteria and any seeds present which cold doesnt. so in theory if ur using manure u shouldnt be able 2 get sick from eating plants grown in hot compost and shouldnt end up with a whole bunch of unwanted weeds growing.

DragonKilla

DragonKilla

Dragonkilla,How are your friends doing it in just 3 weeks?Shit i take 3 months and its still not ready or what i would call done.

I'm not super clued in on the process as he does it, not me, but have listened to him animatedly jabber on about it enough to have a rough idea of how he goes about it. Like growing in general, I believe it's about timing and doing everything exactly when it needs to be done. I had a quick search and found this.

That's more or less what he does from what I gather.

OGONLY

OGONLY

90-120 degrees is the sweet spot temp wise. I've got a couple tumbler bins, as well as 3 worm bins.

Composting right requires fairly regular maintenance in order to keep the microbes alive and active. The pile (or bin) must be kept moist, but not too wet. The heat generated by a good pile naturally dries the pile out with time. Therefore the pile must be kept moist by either adding water or moist green inputs. Allowing a pile to dry too much can be devastating to your microbe population. A pile can dry out fast in hot weather.

The balance of green inputs and brown (carbon) inputs are also important. I believe the ideal ratio is 75% brown to 25% green. Brown includes dried leaves (preferably crushed or shredded) cardboard (cut in small pieces, the smaller the better), brown bags (shredded or cut in small pieces), wood chips or shaving and other dried organic material.

Green is vegetable waste, fresh cut grass (ideal for starting a pile and adding heat) egg shells, coffee grinds, fruit waste (banana peels cut up are great) and harvested plants and leaves cut up small of course.

I like to add a scoop of azomite to my pile ( as well as my worm bins) every other feeding or so. I service my tumblers every 2 or 3 days. I use a high output hand sprayer to moisten top with water. Then tumble and moisten top well again and close. Productive composting is not easy, it's work just like anything else. But just like everything good in life requires work, compost is no different.

TortureKill

TortureKill

Ive been composting with worms for years. Its a great amendment for organic, peat based mixes.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I've recently started using this insulated tumbler,it definitely makes it an easier task
I have quite a bit of organic waste from my veggie,and herb gardens,so I have no shortage
of compostable materials....
This insulated tumbler definitely speeds up the process
View attachment 437663
@waayne Is that in your living room? Lol please dont answer that j/k seriously that tumbler is almost as dope as your plants ! Where can I get o ne or did you build that? Putting in work ay!

Last edited:
caveman4.20

caveman4.20

There's some interesting research being done on this topic, particularly temperature-dependent succession of microbial communities during the composting process. With an optimum C:N ratio, temps increase an average of 70F within the first 3 days, and significant changes in pH, O2 and CO2 concentrations also occur. Obviously, this has a significant effect on which microbes are able to survive and thrive. Shifts occur between bacteria, actinomycetes and fungi, with bacteria dominating the early stages and fungi dominating the later stages. Even archaea have been found!

Here's a link to one full paper on the topic.

Good thread.

YS
Dank drop! Thanks fir sharing! What are the chances you have an article on composting to warm up greenhouse and I suppose generate co2? @SpiderK posted one before Fir aquaponic greenhouse but icant find it......platinum for greenhouse growing in winter might get too hot and humid for midsummer ....idk , sounds good though....
@GoldiNugs great thread!

YarraSparra

YarraSparra

I've not come across any articles on that subject before, sorry bro.

YS

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Dank drop! Thanks fir sharing! What are the chances you have an article on composting to warm up greenhouse *SNIP*

Your not gonna wanna put a compost pile anywhere near your plants... Composting piles attracts mites/buts/flys ect all of which are needed and beneficial to your composting pile.

Plasma

Plasma

Wouldn't most of the insect attracted to composts be either neutral or beneficial though? Maybe not...

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Wouldn't most of the insect attracted to composts be either neutral or beneficial though? Maybe not...

To the compost pile yes.. To your marijuana plants i highly doubt it lol Theres all kinda critters in my worm bins atm from flying bugs to crawling things i cant identify to white eggs all over a dead worm carcass..

Pretty sure you don't wanna introduce those into a grow room.

Plasma

Plasma

Yeah, but they're all being attracted to decomposing organic matter, so I wouldn't think they would attack a living plant, but having a million flying bugs in your grow room would be really annoying.

Top Bottom