Does anyone make their own compost?

• Thread starter GoldiNugs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
spore

spore

I read an article that, IIRC, discussed that because the microbial population is different, you achieve a... I want to say a richer compost, but don't hold me to that, I'm still pretty worn out. I'm posting more to remind myself when I'm awake.

i believe thats correct. something about the shifts between temp thresholds which creates a dynamic environment and creates a greater range of niches for microbes to exist in. but a big positive is as i mentioned before, killing pathogens and weeds.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I dont think ill ever grow on a rental again, too much drama ...gotta work on my credit... they dont like composting done in their yards either its like landlords want the money but they dont want people to live or ware tare their property

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The problem we had as landlords was not only our renter not paying rent, but treating *our* nice home like shit, certainly not as well as he'd treat his own home. He also left us holding his outstanding utility bills, but that's another story. He absolutely trashed our electrical panel. Most landlords who've had at least one tenant learn their lessons pretty fast. May not be nice, may not even be your fault, but a little understanding goes a long way. I've had experience on both sides of that rail.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Maybe I should have rephrased that to fuck slumlords! My family cleaned up the place did upgrades to the home and paid full rent while doing construction and completely cooperated with the nightmare of a situation......hind sight 20/20 people shouldn't rent, they should just buy, 4/4 landlords in rocky mts. Were nice folks at first then 180 at harvest all for what?

I only blame myself. Build your credit and buy , Renting out and growing in colorado is damn near entrapment

velocity

velocity

When you HOT compost you do 2 things mainly. You use green plant material, wood chips, wheat straw and a form of nitrogen ( urea or poo) to feed microbes. When the microbe colony is strong it will break down the material and be rich in microbes. As the population of the microbe colony gains into HIGH numbers the pile will STEAM and produce heat. When a compost pile is "cooking" correctly the temp in the center of the pile reaches 140 degrees. When the pile reaches 140 degre4es it pasturizes the compost naturally.

Yes you do need to water and flip the pile to keep it moving along like it needs too. This is also why you may have heard of compost piles self combusting, because of the heat of the microbes. If a pile is working correctly it will take 2 weeks to cycle. If you smell an odor it is from the nitrogen being released, it will pass in time and when the pile cools wil have a real nice "earthy" smell.

I do grow mushrooms also and here is a great link to penn state that can better describe in detail what is going on. If do a bit of looking around at that site there are compost recipes. I know its mushrooms but trust me plants just THRIVE on it.

There are beni's that live at differant temps when the pile is cooking. The penn state goes into a bit over kill about that but the info is there.

http://extension.psu.edu/plants/vegetable-fruit/mushrooms/mushroom-substrate/microbial-activity

Here very soon you will beable to find 80 lb straw bales around for fall. here is a link that uses 4 of those to make compost with very easy to get materials you proboly have around your place now, or can get with a trip to a store for not much money.

Again it is mushroom but plants will enjoy this aswell. When they mention compost activators if you have a beni product for your plant mix it 3X the rate you do for you plants use that to water the pile with the first time so you have the beni's working for you. Alot of beni products now have N and P fixing bacteria, IE they the bacteria make Phous and Nitrogen.

http://whatbethat.com/ mushroomhandbook/

I have used Happy Frog soil conditioner to grow mushrooms many times because I didnt have a place to make a small compost pile. It will work for plants and mushrooms, neither one will know the diffeance if it has the proper ratio's.

Last edited:
velocity

velocity

You gotta have cow or horse poo, cow or horse poo that has fire fang bacteria on it. Those are the bacteria that live above 120 degrees. You will know it when you see it because the poo will have white fleks on it, normally its on poo. yes poo can turn a faint color in the pasture, but look for like pieces of rice on it.

here is a pile of fire fang
Firefang

Not to be a pun, but most people do not know what a nice pile of poo can do for a persono_O Not just any pile of poo will work it has to be the right pile:dead:

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
You gotta have cow or hourse poo, cow or hourse poo that has fire fang bacteria on it. Those are the bacteria that live above 120 degrees. You will know it when you see it because the cow poo will have white fleks on it, normally its on poo. yes poo can turn a faint color in the pasture, but look for like pieces of rice on it.

View attachment 442385

I was literally coming in this thread to post if you wanna jump start a compost bin add horse shit!! lol

Good post :D

velocity

velocity

Thanks little dabbie yeah you know your a grower when you smell a pile of shit and go hey I need some of that, and everyone looks at you like WTF are you talking about LOL.

Horse to me is prefered but will take cow if I cant find horse. Cow poo is alot more digested because of the 4 stomachs, Horse is KING if can get it.

Ambre

Ambre

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that compost loses nitrogen as it decomposes. A way to keep the nitrogen in your pile is to use wood shavings or chips in the pile. It will take longer to break down (wood rots slowly), but the wood absorbs the nitrogen because it needs it in order to rot - once the wood is rotted, it will release the nitrogen back into the pile and be available to your plants.

In addition to horse & cow manure, goat manure is good. It's easy because they poop pellets that are easy to collect & mix in. I also love to add a lot of poultry manure because it is extra rich in nitrogen.

An excellent book on compost with really good ideas on how to make it & use it:
The Complete Compost Gardening Guide
Barbara Pleasant & Deborah L. Martin
Storey Publishing,

GoldiNugs

GoldiNugs

You gotta have cow or horse poo, cow or horse poo that has fire fang bacteria on it. Those are the bacteria that live above 120 degrees. You will know it when you see it because the poo will have white fleks on it, normally its on poo. yes poo can turn a faint color in the pasture, but look for like pieces of rice on it.

View attachment 442385

Not to be a pun, but most people do not know what a nice pile of poo can do for a persono_O Not just any pile of poo will work it has to be the right pile:dead:

So you just walk out into pasture and loo for dung with 'fire fang' on it??

velocity

velocity

Yep that is it, just have to look for it. Not all of it does, sometimes when its piled up you can find it.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
criagslist is an excellent spot to score SHITLOADs of Free horse shit :D

Check for ads with the words manure or compost and see if you can score some free.. Theres horses in every state i think? So everyones got one just gotta follow ya nose! :P

velocity

velocity

Just wanted to add if wanting to use firefang not all of the poo has to have it. If 10% of the total volume of poo used has the fire fang, just put it in the center of the compost pile and it will do its thing and multiply by the millions quickly, really quickly. When you turn the pile it will move them throughout the pile.

Top Bottom