Does higher light quality result in denser buds ?

• Thread starter HomeGrown16
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HomeGrown16

HomeGrown16

I was just wondering whether or not if a higher quality/watt light would result in denser buds or a higher yield ?

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

You're supposed to aim for 35w per square foot I believe (though I could be wrong on that). Better lights equal better results for sure. Especially when it comes to LEDs. Light definitely has an impact on density.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I was just wondering whether or not if a higher quality/watt light would result in denser buds or a higher yield ?
You also need to control temperature. You can have the brightest lights in the world and not get the results you're looking for if your heat isn't under control.

Light + controlled temps and humidity + proper care should equal good results and tighter buds. Too much heat and you could see fox-tailing and looser buds.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Yes, unless you burn them or they're too close to a light that gives off a lot of heat (like an HID).

I used to love the granite-like buds I grew in the death-ray sun of the Carolinas. Too bad pests would ruin about 1/3 of the crop. (Studies show pests ruining 1/3 of your crop can reduce yields by 1/3.)

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yes, unless you burn them or they're too close to a light that gives off a lot of heat (like an HID).

I used to love the granite-like buds I grew in the death-ray sun of the Carolinas. Too bad pests would ruin about 1/3 of the crop. (Studies show pests ruining 1/3 of your crop can reduce yields by 1/3.)
You can even get them too close to a light source that doesn't produce a lot of heat and cause intensity burn ... and high output LEDs will do that if the plants are too close. It's not "just" HID lighting that can cause that.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

You can even get them too close to a light source that doesn't produce a lot of heat and cause intensity burn ... and high output LEDs will do that if the plants are too close. It's not "just" HID lighting that can cause that.
Yeah, I know.
IMG 6360

This one isn't happy and wishes she were shorter.

But when they're too close to a HPS, you first get tassling before burning, which is the opposite of what you'd want, tight-bud-wise.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Define quality light? Is it PAR?

630w CMH - not very dense but very high trichome production.
CMH would fall under higher quality light. I don't think they work well in some of the small tents people use without a lot of attention paid to cooling it too. Your buds might not be as dense as you like, but I bet they taste and smoke just fine!

HomeGrown16

HomeGrown16

You also need to control temperature. You can have the brightest lights in the world and not get the results you're looking for if your heat isn't under control.

Light + controlled temps and humidity + proper care should equal good results and tighter buds. Too much heat and you could see fox-tailing and looser buds.
I had the environment pretty well maintained sitting from 74-76 in the day and from 64-66 at night. My rh ranged from 50-60 early on in veg and steadily dropped as the weeks went on kept it ranging from 38-42 in the last few weeks. Now mind you this was a micro grow compared to some of the legit farms on here and it was a auto. I’m now 4 days into drying and the buds that were dense as rocks have kinda lost that but it’s still goin to be sum decent smoke

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I had the environment pretty well maintained sitting from 74-76 in the day and from 64-66 at night. My rh ranged from 50-60 early on in veg and steadily dropped as the weeks went on kept it ranging from 38-42 in the last few weeks. Now mind you this was a micro grow compared to some of the legit farms on here and it was a auto. I’m now 4 days into drying and the buds that were dense as rocks have kinda lost that but it’s still goin to be sum decent smoke
You might do better with more light. It's hard to say without knowing more about your lighting and grow area.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Now my led is only a 300w light I’m workin in a 2x2x4. Like I said tiny compared to some of the shit on here
I'm thinking about purchasing some more lighting ... I added another tent to my collection and I'm thinking really serious about plunking down the money on a set of something like @Anthem's gavitas. I love my quantum boards for my smaller tents but I want better lighting in my 5 x 5.

Anthem

Anthem

I'm thinking about purchasing some more lighting ... I added another tent to my collection and I'm thinking really serious about plunking down the money on a set of something like @Anthem's gavitas. I love my quantum boards for my smaller tents but I want better lighting in my 5 x 5.
Hey man how is it going? Long time no talk, how is the cup bus. treating you? FTW there are 3 lights I would recommend if you want to step it up. I will post what I know about all.
Gavita, I switched out the 1650's for the 1700's more stretch, maybe a little earlier bud set but I have to qualify I changed a bunch of other stuff as well. Also with the Gavita's unless you want to run them at 100 percent the whole time you have to get the e series adaptor to run them thru a control. Control wise take a look at trolmaster, they have a nice set up and you can add every environmental control to the system with modules.
Fluence Syder 2I this is a great light if you have problems with height. Fluence claims and I have first hand knowledge you can run the plants to 6" without problems. Done it and it is true.
Last but IMO the best is that new Diablo by HLG. It is the best light on the market from what l see.
In a perfect world I would probably get the Diablo and run a controller with CO2 enrichment and either go hydro or coco and ferrigation. The auto watering systems really help you take a moment to look at your plants and see how they are doing rather than the drag of constantly watering plants.
One thing I have found with the Gavita and Fluence gear is that every plant I have ever put under them the buds are super dense and make a thud when they are dropped. The total is about 14 strains so while genetics does play a factor, there is gains with the lights. You should be able to see a difference in bud structure between say HPS and the lights mentioned above, this is my opinion.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Hey man how is it going? Long time no talk, how is the cup bus. treating you? FTW there are 3 lights I would recommend if you want to step it up. I will post what I know about all.
Gavita, I switched out the 1650's for the 1700's more stretch, maybe a little earlier bud set but I have to qualify I changed a bunch of other stuff as well. Also with the Gavita's unless you want to run them at 100 percent the whole time you have to get the e series adaptor to run them thru a control. Control wise take a look at trolmaster, they have a nice set up and you can add every environmental control to the system with modules.
Fluence Syder 2I this is a great light if you have problems with height. Fluence claims and I have first hand knowledge you can run the plants to 6" without problems. Done it and it is true.
Last but IMO the best is that new Diablo by HLG. It is the best light on the market from what l see.
In a perfect world I would probably get the Diablo and run a controller with CO2 enrichment and either go hydro or coco and ferrigation. The auto watering systems really help you take a moment to look at your plants and see how they are doing rather than the drag of constantly watering plants.
One thing I have found with the Gavita and Fluence gear is that every plant I have ever put under them the buds are super dense and make a thud when they are dropped. The total is about 14 strains so while genetics does play a factor, there is gains with the lights. You should be able to see a difference in bud structure between say HPS and the lights mentioned above, this is my opinion.

Things are well. I've not traveled for work yet in 2021 ... but Georgia trips are coming up in April. Worst part is I'm not even sure what I'm working on yet. I already know that it's not something I've built previously ...

While I do like my quantum boards, I don't like the light spread in my 5 x 5 tent and feel I would be better served with more of the bar light like the gavita or the fluence ... I didn't know they needed the controller so I will have to look into that. I'll also take a look at the Diablo light you mentioned. Since Uncle Sam is willing to give me money in the next round of stimulus, I'll be buying a new light. I just got done spoiling my wife with a brand new puppy she wanted so I'll have no trouble convincing her on the light.

Top Bottom