Doing it like an Animal!

• Thread starter AnimalHouse
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Nice, see you have some history with them :) i have only tried china leds. Kingbrite and meijiu. And spiderfarmer. I agree with you that its better to have a few lights you can move around easier.

I was not aware of cob lights having that effect. Never tried one though. Only heard about uvb having some effect on terpenes and potency.

Anyways, will tag along to learn :)

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Nice, see you have some history with them :) i have only tried china leds. Kingbrite and meijiu. And spiderfarmer. I agree with you that its better to have a few lights you can move around easier.

I was not aware of cob lights having that effect. Never tried one though. Only heard about uvb having some effect on terpenes and potency.

Anyways, will tag along to learn :)
One of the big things about LED is the ability to increase terps and potency above the old standard of HPS. Great LED lights do it very well. CMH also does it but with less efficiency of LED so if I had the choice between HPS and CMH it would always be CMH.
After using COB I found the results to be on par with HPS but uses half the power. So it's a nice choice if the goal is to reduce power consumption and get the same results as HPS especially for cash croppers looking to reduce cost of production and to some degree that might apply to a home grower as well. But for me I'm after potency so a light that increases potency over the old standard will always be my preferred choice

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Gotta fresh update to share! Things are going well, plants seem to be really loving the xtra light added. They're bulking up on biomass with leaves getting huge and blades getting fat. Nice collection of indicas and hybrids coming into their own. Gonna target Sunday the 15th to flip 'em to flower

IMG 2960

IMG 2963

Found this lady living out by my water filter. She hooks her web onto the lid of the barrel out there. Gave me a good scare the first time I saw her and now I nervously check the tank hoping she doesn't kill me and take my soul. She's about 4" long and 1" wide

IMG 2958

And speaking of my water tanks..The indoor tank got some swag this week 😋

IMG 2965

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

man your plants look so happy to be under those lights!!!! the coverage looks amazing in there, all lit up with no shades at all!!!! are you doing you mainline pruning tech on these?

the waterboy barrel is just an instant classic!!!!! i agree with Schwer, you should get all the likes for that one!!!!!

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
You deserve all of the likes. 👏👏👏
Thanks Buddy. Can I smoke them or should I just snort 'em as usual? 🙃

Snort likes

man your plants look so happy to be under those lights!!!! the coverage looks amazing in there, all lit up with no shades at all!!!! are you doing you mainline pruning tech on these?

the waterboy barrel is just an instant classic!!!!! i agree with Schwer, you should get all the likes for that one!!!!!

The crazy thing is the lights are only at around 45%. I doubt I'll need to go to max power with that 3rd light in there now.
I really need to get in there and trim and do some mainlining but haven't had the time or chance to do it. I can barely keep up with watering, doing it daily now and have resorted to dunking them to keep up otherwise they can go dry inside of a day between waterings.
Also been monitoring growth patterns and a few have kinda self topped themselves so each plant will probably be a custom job as the technique isn't so cookie cutter with this crop. I think there's a couple I may not touch at all except for maybe clean up their inner canopy
Love the setup and the roots organics man the look soooo good!

Thanks IG! Roots makes my life so ez Man. I have such great luck with their soils I don't have to do much to ammend or change them at all. One of the few that are great right from the bag and works perfect with purified water. It's almost too ez using Roots.😉
Your plants look healthy :) I like that water boy reference

Thanks GoblinKiller! The plants are making life ez for me so happy plants = happy grower 😉

Oh Man the waterboy has already saved me time and back pain! So far I've gone thru 75 gallons. Loaded another 50 into the barrel yesterday and didn't have to carry a single drop to do it where as before I had to carry 5 gallons at a time about 40 feet to get in the g/room. There's been some really good upgrades done to my grow room over the years and Waterboy is top 3 ez. My only regret is I didn't build it much sooner😋

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Another flippin' update 🙃
Well all the plants have been pruned and trimmed up for flower, upcanned into 7 gallon pots, and flipped the light to 12/12

Added in the bloom nutes to the Roots Lush soil. Handful each of Uprising Bloom and Foundation added to the lower half of the pot of soils and stirred in then the plant is added along the rest of the soil. Kind of a layering technique with dry nutes.
From here on out the only thing needed will be to keep them well watered and about once every other week I'll add more Great White and Trinity to the waterings

IMG 2980

Airpot roots. No coiling or binding, just happy free range roots. When these get into that big 7 gallon pot they'll have plenty of room to roam at all levels of soil depth.
Root bound plants are highly frowned upon here at The Hideout. It restricts performance so I do everything possible to make sure they can grow with plenty of freedom by using airpots and oversized container for flowering. Plus the big pot give the plants a nice big tank of gas for the 8 week journey to harvest

IMG 2983

I reconsidered how I would apply UV later and decided on a two lamp fixture instead of two separate single lamp fixtures daisy chained to each other. I found this fixture on Amazon for only $28. The lamps are a pair of CLW UV t5ho tubes.
This is mounted onto an 8' long track with a Lightrail 4.2 motor. The UV will travel back and forth across the garden for only 2 hours each day starting around week 5 or 6 of flower.
Since this will be going over the top of the LED I may add some blue tape to the plastic fan housings of the LED so the UV does not fade or damage it. I'll also be making a point to not be in the g/room when this thing is on

IMG 2989

IMG 2992

Plants! All trimmed up so I can fit all 11 in there. Basically trimmed them up to grow 5-6 main colas and not much else.
4 have the chance to be male so there may be some culling to do in a week or so. The 7 other plants are all known females.
Two plants are showing hybrid sativa traits so they get a spot on the far right just in case they want to get bigger and bushier than the indica hybrids in the lot. If that happens then that's where having three smaller lights at different heights will be advantageous as opposed to using one large size light. All plants will get high quality light even if they're different heights

IMG 2988

IMG 2994

IMG 2995

IMG 2996

IMG 2998

And a moment of zen. Hatch chili season is here so the delicious hatch pepper is in almost everything at the supermarket. Even the apple pies!

IMG 2974

Hope all you Farmers out there are having a great Summer! See y'all nest week and in the meantime... Peace, Luv, and Happy Ganja Farming!

Last edited:
Tracyfri

Tracyfri

Another flippin' update 🙃
Well all the plants have been pruned and trimmed up for flower, upcanned into 7 gallon pots, and flipped the light to 12/12

Added in the bloom nutes to the Roots Lush soil. Handful each of Uprising Bloom and Foundation added to the lower half of the pot of soils and stirred in then the plant is added along the rest of the soil. Kind of a layering technique with dry nutes.
From here on out the only thing needed will be to keep them well watered and about once every other week I'll add more Great White and Trinity to the waterings

View attachment 1158560

Airpot roots. No coiling or binding, just happy free range roots. When these get into that big 7 gallon pot they'll have plenty of room to roam at all levels of soil depth.
Root bound plants are highly frowned upon here at The Hideout. It restricts performance so I do everything possible to make sure they can grow with plenty of freedom by using airpots and oversized container for flowering. Plus the big pot give the plants a nice big tank of gas for the 8 week journey to harvest

View attachment 1158561

I reconsidered how I would apply UV later and decided on a two lamp fixture instead of two separate single lamp fixtures daisy chained to each other. I found this fixture on Amazon for only $28. The lamps are a pair of CLW UV t5ho tubes.
This is mounted onto an 8' long track with a Lightrail 4.2 motor. The UV will travel back and forth across the garden for only 2 hours each day starting around week 5 or 6 of flower.
Since this will be going over the top of the LED I may add some blue tape to the plastic fan housings of the LED so the UV does not fade or damage it. I'll also be making a point to not be in the g/room when this thing is on

View attachment 1158563

View attachment 1158564

Plants! All trimmed up so I can fit all 11 in there. Basically trimmed them up to grow 5-6 main colas and not much else.
4 have the chance to be male so there may be some culling to do in a week or so. The 7 other plants are all known females.
Two plants are showing hybrid sativa traits so they get a spot on the far right just in case they want to get bigger and bushier than the indica hybrids in the lot. If that happens then that's where having three smaller lights at different heights will be advantageous as opposed to using one large size light. All plants will get high quality light even if they're different heights

View attachment 1158562

View attachment 1158565

View attachment 1158566

View attachment 1158567

View attachment 1158568

And a moment of zen. Hatch chili season is here so the delicious hatch pepper is in almost everything at the supermarket. Even the apple pies!

View attachment 1158559

Hope all you Farmers out there are having a great Summer! See y'all nest week and in the meantime... Peace, Luv, and Happy Ganja Farming!
Nice ROOTS! They look like they could take me out in a wrestling match w/o an issue😂. Looking real good man 👍👍

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

man that sure is one good lookin pineapple, stuff it with pork and wrap that sucker in bacon!!!!! hahaha

all looking great... and smart thinking on protecting your gear from the uv... i would imagine brand new bulbs and ballasts are gonna pump out the uv strong... wouldn't hurt to put a coating on everything! rub it down with sunscreen like your rubbin a brisky!!!! hahaha ewww could you imagine hand cream on everything!! what a mess that would be!!!

👊

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

hey bro, question for ya: other than age is there a technical reason to stay away from older clw that has a logo like this?

Screenshot 2021 08 20 222441

just curios is all... i might have scored a 550 on ebay a 2019 model... i only say might because i paid for one already and got shafted, but i was offered a lower price from a seller after putting it on my watch list, i would have gave him his listing to tell ya the truth... hopefully he sends it cuz it will be a special deal if it happens because it's in canada so i feel i'm rescuing the light and bringing back to the states!! 😃

but there are some great deals out there on a few of these older ones and i was wondering if there is a reason other than age, like the leds aren't the same or driver are different.. i just figured you were the best guy to ask...

☠️

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I lost an ebay auction and very quickly I got an email offering me a second chance at the item. It was not the same item.
It was a very inferior thing. When I tried to complain, I discovered that scammers do this all the time.
Be very careful.
If it's legit, it's likely a great light.

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Nice ROOTS! They look like they could take me out in a wrestling match w/o an issue😂. Looking real good man 👍👍

Thanks Tracyfri! They are roots with a 'tude!💪

Roots? You mean that wasn't a pineapple? 🍍

🤣 Maybe I should be growing Pineapple Express 😋

man that sure is one good lookin pineapple, stuff it with pork and wrap that sucker in bacon!!!!! hahaha

all looking great... and smart thinking on protecting your gear from the uv... i would imagine brand new bulbs and ballasts are gonna pump out the uv strong... wouldn't hurt to put a coating on everything! rub it down with sunscreen like your rubbin a brisky!!!! hahaha ewww could you imagine hand cream on everything!! what a mess that would be!!!

👊

I actually thought about sunscreen on the plastic 🤪 Except it's not a cream it's a spray on aerosol. Or maybe I should invest in big floppy hats for the lights 👒😋

Been a biker most of my life. Love to fly (LSA) as well, and of course, growing.
Love the pineapple. How did you open the airpot?

High CF...They unwrap from the root balls. There's three parts to an airpot...The side wall, a bottom screen, and a button screw that holds it together. The sidewall wraps around the screen then the button goes go in at the top to keep it held together

IMG 0195

IMG 0196

hey bro, question for ya: other than age is there a technical reason to stay away from older clw that has a logo like this?

View attachment 1159591

just curios is all... i might have scored a 550 on ebay a 2019 model... i only say might because i paid for one already and got shafted, but i was offered a lower price from a seller after putting it on my watch list, i would have gave him his listing to tell ya the truth... hopefully he sends it cuz it will be a special deal if it happens because it's in canada so i feel i'm rescuing the light and bringing back to the states!! 😃

but there are some great deals out there on a few of these older ones and i was wondering if there is a reason other than age, like the leds aren't the same or driver are different.. i just figured you were the best guy to ask...

☠️

That's a 2016 light, likely a second production run light. My first light has that logo but without the words Commercial Series then they changed it slightly by adding the words Commercial Series which is that one in your pic then the next run they changed it again using the new logo that looks like a C with a sun inside.
From 2016 to 2019 the lights are all the same except for the graphics on the side. Same drivers, fans, Osram diodes etc.
In 2020 they changed it up with a different diode layout and the new types of white diodes. Same drivers, fans, and still uses Osram diodes as early models.

On the electric connection side of the light near the phone jacks there will be a little sticker with a date code. A seller worth his salt should be able to take a pic of it or at least answer a question asking what that date code reads. The age of light is one thing but really how much it was used is more important. Made in 2016 but only used a for a few grows would be no issue for me if I felt I could trust the seller. But if it's like my 2016 and has been used on average 3 grows per year for 5 years then it should be priced accordingly.
One thing too is these lights are hard to use for a lot of new growers and that's what I really look for. Somebody who bought one, got his ass kicked by it, then boxed it up and put it in a closet for a few years is my kinda score. You can kinda feel that out by looking at what else he's selling and what he's been buying in his feedback 😉

2016 first run light with old logo and w/out the words commercial series on the side made July 2016

IMG 0204

2017 light with new logo made April 2017

IMG 0202

Latest production run light using the new logo, new diode layout, and upgraded white diodes made September 2020.

IMG 0206

The user manuals have also changed. At first they were large full color glossy pamphlets and now they're basic B/W photocopy pamphlets and graphics on the boxes have changed slightly for newer lights as well. I'm guessing CLW was looking to trim some costs so things like manuals and box graphics got less fancy in 2020

IMG 0207

I lost an ebay auction and very quickly I got an email offering me a second chance at the item. It was not the same item.
It was a very inferior thing. When I tried to complain, I discovered that scammers do this all the time.
Be very careful.
If it's legit, it's likely a great light.

Yep ebay can be a minefield of scams. There's one dude who keeps changing his name and trying to sell lights he does not have. 0 feedback and new user is a huge red flag when I buy on ebay. Some great deals to be had but yeah there's some scammers on it for sure

Last edited:
stoneyluv

stoneyluv

wow brother you got all the details i was looking for!!! thanks so much for that info... ya know the listing you sent me i actually bid on last week i was out bid and the highest bidder backed out and the seller offered it to me for my bid but by this time i had already paid for the light i bought from canada. i was kind of relieved when i was outbid because i thought maybe the old symbols were bad or not as good... so now that same light and controller are back up... oh well i still got a cheaper deal if it goes through... we sent a few messages back and forth over a couple days and now that i sent the money i haven't heard anything at all. maybe he's just trying to find the cheapest shipping to get it state side.. really not sure wish he'd tell me. the dude seems honest so i won't get to worried besides there are killer deals going off for that light every few days... one 550 just sold today for $340 delivered!!!

Screenshot 2021 08 21 191753

the one i bought from canada the owner claims he grew one cycle with it and his wife won't let him grow in the house anymore. i'm thinking sell your wife not the lights!!!! hahaha he had two 550s and a controller, he still has the other 550 up for sale and the UV bars on another listing and offered me the controller for $100....

but thanks again for all that info on the dates if things don't line up then i know the seller may be sketchy... and with so many options out there it's not even worth the chance if it doesn't all line up. if they lie about the year then they're probably lying about the usage times too...

i gotta admit though... i enjoy the online hunt!!

thanks again animal!!! enjoy the rest of your weekend!!! OH.. i think i saw the cowboys are on hard knocks this year...

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
wow brother you got all the details i was looking for!!! thanks so much for that info... ya know the listing you sent me i actually bid on last week i was out bid and the highest bidder backed out and the seller offered it to me for my bid but by this time i had already paid for the light i bought from canada. i was kind of relieved when i was outbid because i thought maybe the old symbols were bad or not as good... so now that same light and controller are back up... oh well i still got a cheaper deal if it goes through... we sent a few messages back and forth over a couple days and now that i sent the money i haven't heard anything at all. maybe he's just trying to find the cheapest shipping to get it state side.. really not sure wish he'd tell me. the dude seems honest so i won't get to worried besides there are killer deals going off for that light every few days... one 550 just sold today for $340 delivered!!!

View attachment 1160007

the one i bought from canada the owner claims he grew one cycle with it and his wife won't let him grow in the house anymore. i'm thinking sell your wife not the lights!!!! hahaha he had two 550s and a controller, he still has the other 550 up for sale and the UV bars on another listing and offered me the controller for $100....

but thanks again for all that info on the dates if things don't line up then i know the seller may be sketchy... and with so many options out there it's not even worth the chance if it doesn't all line up. if they lie about the year then they're probably lying about the usage times too...

i gotta admit though... i enjoy the online hunt!!

thanks again animal!!! enjoy the rest of your weekend!!! OH.. i think i saw the cowboys are on hard knocks this year...

Nice score and good job rescuing that light from the Canucks!

Man it's been an exhausting week! Put in 65 hours and finally moved to my new office after almost two years being stuck in a shit hole temp space! I'm also back to riding my ebike to work so now my butt's a little sore from not being in the saddle for so long😋

But I'm back with a late update but better late than never!🙃
Everything is going very well. Culled one male Texas Butter and it looks like the other 10 will all be female. I stacked the odds in my favor with fem seeds but hit 3 females of 4 plants on the TxB

Took a couple still shots and a video for y'all! Enjoy!

IMG 3075

IMG 3077

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

Nice job on picking which ones you thought were gonna grow a little taller on the ends... perfect stadium style!!!!! bring on the big fat greasy buds!!!!!!!!!!

I had a male as well, one of the cali chrome showed early in late veg.... better than when i put him in flowering side for sure,,,, he dusted everywhere though so i am far from out of the woods yet...i almost came upstairs and showered before i opened the flowering cab... i didn't though so i hope the three i have in there are too far along to push out seeds.

so glad to hear you're not in the dungen anymore.. hopefully you're a bit closer to the fifty yard line to continue in the ritual that i tell all my friends about and they all respond with "sweeeet!!!"

glad to hear you're back on the bike too.... i know when you were into it you loved commuting with it and i'm sure you'll get that feeling back soon!!

have a great weekend bro!!!! 🤏🦴🤌-👂 <- passing you a bone... "eaaaar" 🙃

Top Bottom