DR120....One 400,Two400s , or one 600?

• Thread starter Scotbot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Scotbot

Scotbot

Hey I need some advice, Im planning for the future ,I already have the tent a DR120 and now which light or lights should I use.
Like a lot of people I have to make sure my cash is used wisely .

Should I run one 400 in the 4 X 4 tent or two 400s or just one 600?

Any advice?

thanks

Tnelz

Tnelz

I guess two 400 would give u the best coverage. I have a 4*4 with a 600 and a couple 180 Watt leds and I'm rockin! Even a four is cool but if u r going with just one light it has to be the six! Good luck.

Scotbot

Scotbot

Great advice guys. Could I mix and match, one 400mh & One,400hps? Or is that stupid?

Or just veg with convertible MH/hps 400 and then flower using two 400hps?

Tnelz

Tnelz

I use a 4ft 6 bulb t5 for veg and it rocks. But I think @sixstring is right on as well. As for ur question I don't think it would be stupid to run both but if it were me I'd run two hps bulbs in bloom. You would imo get better results.

K

kushykush

I have two of the exact same tent now myself. One I have 2 x 400's and the other I have a thousand. The 400's will work great if you scrog or have low stretch strains and defoliate. Quite frankly in my experience, they just don't have the penetration power to be effective, UNLESS you scrog. Now others I am sure get better results, but after using the thousand, I am switching my 400's out as well. If heat is an issue, you can use a dimmable ballast and that way the extra power is always there if you want it. You do have to have a/c in your room with the tent, or have your ducting ran so you can cool the bulbs. I have also flowered with MH and I know some folks do it successfully, but I don't know how. I had awful results myself.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Great advice guys. Could I mix and match, one 400mh & One,400hps? Or is that stupid?

Or just veg with convertible MH/hps 400 and then flower using two 400hps?
...a 600HPS stacked over a 400CMH, barebulb vertical style is a beautiful thing, if i lived in a place where i wouldn't be popping the circuit breaker with that much of a load that's the way i'd go.

the Ceramic Metal Halide bulb runs at 4100Kelvin so it is more blue that an HPS so, together, it would give you a more balanced spectrum of light and the CMH really kicks in the trich production, ...it would run on a standard S51 magnetic HPS ballast, and it has to be magnetic, it won't run on digital ballasts.

...anyway, here's a couple pics of my own DR120 that i run with just a single 600 not being able to add the additional 400, ...note that the fan is a Vortex S-line 8" with a speed controller turned down to about half speed, better to have an oversized fan and slow it down than to have a fan unable to go fast enough to do the job. ...that fan would do the job very nicely whether you have a single 600, a pair of 400's or even a pair of 600's,. ...you should be able to find it for under $200.00.

DSCN0404

DSCN0405

DSCN0408

peace, bozo

Tnelz

Tnelz

...a 600HPS stacked over a 400CMH, barebulb vertical style is a beautiful thing, if i lived in a place where i wouldn't be popping the circuit breaker with that much of a load that's the way i'd go.

the Ceramic Metal Halide bulb runs at 4100Kelvin so it is more blue that an HPS so, together, it would give you a more balanced spectrum of light and the CMH really kicks in the trich production, ...it would run on a standard S51 magnetic HPS ballast, and it has to be magnetic, it won't run on digital ballasts.

...anyway, here's a couple pics of my own DR120 that i run with just a single 600 not being able to add the additional 400, ...note that the fan is a Vortex S-line 8" with a speed controller turned down to about half speed, better to have an oversized fan and slow it down than to have a fan unable to go fast enough to do the job. ...that fan would do the job very nicely whether you have a single 600, a pair of 400's or even a pair of 600's,. ...you should be able to find it for under $200.00.

View attachment 395707
View attachment 395708
View attachment 395709

peace, bozo
Looks dope bro. That s line is sick. Was going to grab one but went with the hyper6 instead. 300cfm's off of 35 watts. Can't wait to install it. Lol.

K

kushykush

That is a great looking set up you have there. What type yields do you pull off a single 600 set like that? Wish I could have my top area that clean looking. Damn air cooled hoods lol

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

That is a great looking set up you have there. What type yields do you pull off a single 600 set like that? Wish I could have my top area that clean looking. Damn air cooled hoods lol
...i average 12 to 15+zipz per cycle with only minimal effort during the grow, i do have to work pretty hard at harvest time chopping and such but while they are growing i spend maybe 15 minutes a day watering with maybe an extra 15 minutes a week defoliating and anchoring branch's so they don't fall into the light, it's so freekin' easy it almost feels like cheating.

...a big part of why it's so easy is because i grow coco hempy style and this ancient passive hydroponic style is so simple it's almost bullet proof, i guess that's why it's been in use, in one form or another, for at least a couple thousand years, ...i ALWAYS recommend hempy's to new growers as the most stressfree way to learn this hobby....once you learn it though, you never go back, lol.

...i also feed KISS style with nothing but Jack's Pro Hydro, a 2 part dry nute with a base and a calcium nitrate that are combined and can be tweaked a bit depending on a growers skills and needs, i taper off on the cal/nit as i near the end of flower for example.

...anyway, i'm sure if i paid more attention and took notes i could get it dialed in for a consistent lb or more.

...i've been running my op this way for about 2 1/2 years now and these last few years have been the easiest and most pleasurable since i started learning this hobby more than 8 years ago, ...one of the chief benefits is how consistent it is, cycle after cycle, easy peasy lemon squeezy.

peace, bozo

Tnelz

Tnelz

...i average 12 to 15+zipz per cycle with only minimal effort during the grow, i do have to work pretty hard at harvest time chopping and such but while they are growing i spend maybe 15 minutes a day watering with maybe an extra 15 minutes a week defoliating and anchoring branch's so they don't fall into the light, it's so freekin' easy it almost feels like cheating.

...a big part of why it's so easy is because i grow coco hempy style and this ancient passive hydroponic style is so simple it's almost bullet proof, i guess that's why it's been in use, in one form or another, for at least a couple thousand years, ...i ALWAYS recommend hempy's to new growers as the most stressfree way to learn this hobby....once you learn it though, you never go back, lol.

...i also feed KISS style with nothing but Jack's Pro Hydro, a 2 part dry nute with a base and a calcium nitrate that are combined and can be tweaked a bit depending on a growers skills and needs, i taper off on the cal/nit as i near the end of flower for example.

...anyway, i'm sure if i paid more attention and took notes i could get it dialed in for a consistent lb or more.

...i've been running my op this way for about 2 1/2 years now and these last few years have been the easiest and most pleasurable since i started learning this hobby more than 8 years ago, ...one of the chief benefits is how consistent it is, cycle after cycle, easy peasy lemon squeezy.

peace, bozo
Been running hempys forever but in the past year I made the jump to Coco. In the past month I love Coco so much I went and made a Coco hempy. How the world isn't growing this way is crazy. I do continue to grow in Coco dtw but the Coco hempy is the easiest and imvho top 2 or thee best ways to grow. Obviously depends on some things. But it should be everyone's first way to grow. Good post bozo!

Tnelz

Tnelz

Get rid of ur hood then. I actually just made the switch yesterday. Lol. Still not growing vertical but went and bought a non air cooled hood and I can't wait to rock it.

K

kushykush

What strain(s) are you running? That is about what I am getting with two 400's, but I can already tell my 1,000 may double that which is why I am switching these after this run. Now keep in mind, I am not running any monster yielders either.

Unfortunately, I can't get rid of my hood. I can't get away without the air-cooled hoods in the summer. I got a big XXXL 6" and it is awesome. Fantastic light distribution and keeps temps tolerable. My 2 x 400's, one is air-cooled, the other is not. I can place the cooled bulb much closer to the canopy, which is good because 400's blow for density anything other than the very top. Now when I did SCROG, I did alright because of everything being close to the light. But man, my hat off to you guys that can nail that every time. Because if you don't have your training down and know your strain, you can really F it up like I did lol.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

What strain(s) are you running? That is about what I am getting with two 400's, but I can already tell my 1,000 may double that which is why I am switching these after this run. Now keep in mind, I am not running any monster yielders either.

Unfortunately, I can't get rid of my hood. I can't get away without the air-cooled hoods in the summer. I got a big XXXL 6" and it is awesome. Fantastic light distribution and keeps temps tolerable. My 2 x 400's, one is air-cooled, the other is not. I can place the cooled bulb much closer to the canopy, which is good because 400's blow for density anything other than the very top. Now when I did SCROG, I did alright because of everything being close to the light. But man, my hat off to you guys that can nail that every time. Because if you don't have your training down and know your strain, you can really F it up like I did lol.
...yeah man, i'm a lazy old phuck so i wouldn't want to spend all that time SCROGing and if you have an oversized fan like my 8" Vortex S-line which is rated at more than 700cfm's and a couple of circulation fans, one directly under the dangling bulb and one or two blowing down on the plants, there's no reason you can't run barebulb vertical, it actually simplify's cooling and, as you can see in my pics above, there is no ducting to get in the way and take up real estate.

...if you have a 5,000 btu window AC unit in a spare bedroom you should easily be able to run a 5 x 5 with fluoro's for your entire veg op and a pair of 4 x 4's on a flip-flop running stacked 400's in each, barebulb vertical style, ...so 800watts of flowering HPS running 24/7, so long as you have the space to fit all three tents, you might look for a spare bedroom with a walkin closet large enough for the veg op or one of the flowering ops, ...either way, set up like this the spare bedroom becomes a kind of lung room that is filled with the cool air from the AC and that cool air is then passively sucked into all 3 spaces and then exhausted back into that very same room.

...there are certainly better ways to set up but if you are on a budget and can't afford to do it pro-style, this can easily be made to work and cooling your barebulbs would be no big whoop.

...on an 8 week cycle with you harvesting either both tents at once or one per month that should easily translate, with a little dialing in, to at least an elbow per month, consistently, month after month, so long as you keep the veg and cloning op running smoothly, you wouldn't need many clones but you'd need them regular if you wanted to run a perpetual setup.

peace, bozo

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

...yeah man, i'm a lazy old phuck so i wouldn't want to spend all that time SCROGing and if you have an oversized fan like my 8" Vortex S-line which is rated at more than 700cfm's and a couple of circulation fans, one directly under the dangling bulb and one or two blowing down on the plants, there's no reason you can't run barebulb vertical, it actually simplify's cooling and, as you can see in my pics above, there is no ducting to get in the way and take up real estate.

...if you have a 5,000 btu window AC unit in a spare bedroom you should easily be able to run a 5 x 5 with fluoro's for your entire veg op and a pair of 4 x 4's on a flip-flop running stacked 400's in each, barebulb vertical style, ...so 800watts of flowering HPS running 24/7, so long as you have the space to fit all three tents, you might look for a spare bedroom with a walkin closet large enough for the veg op or one of the flowering ops, ...either way, set up like this the spare bedroom becomes a kind of lung room that is filled with the cool air from the AC and that cool air is then passively sucked into all 3 spaces and then exhausted back into that very same room.

...there are certainly better ways to set up but if you are on a budget and can't afford to do it pro-style, this can easily be made to work and cooling your barebulbs would be no big whoop.

...on an 8 week cycle with you harvesting either both tents at once or one per month that should easily translate, with a little dialing in, to at least an elbow per month, consistently, month after month, so long as you keep the veg and cloning op running smoothly, you wouldn't need many clones but you'd need them regular if you wanted to run a perpetual setup.

peace, bozo

So we DO agree on some things lmfao. Bozos correct. VERT bare will decrease your heat and make temp control a Breeze(like how i lined that up? Lol). He is on the money with everything he said, but left out two thing's. With vert bare, No Larf! , AND no loss of lumens from a hood's glass etc. Seems like your on the right track. We're here to help! Tmb
Respect

K

kushykush

Yea SCROG'ing is great if you can get the canopy just right. What's funny is my first attempt, was my best. I ran 4 plants, one querkle, one Super Silver Haze, one Grape Krush, and one Agent Orange. All 4 plants had an almost identical yield and I wasted almost no space. I yielded a bit over 3 ounces per plants then which was the best I have ever done on a single 400. Then I never had another that measured up. Completely my fault though. I could never get the hang of when to flower a strain under the net. Guess I got real lucky the first time. In hindsight, maybe I should have kept just running those same strains lol.

I may have to give the vertical thing a shot. I do really like how much more height you have and how much cleaner the space is without all the duct work. As far as tents, I currently am running three. A 2 x 4 with 6 bulb T5 in it which does great. I have a 4 x 4 with a Nanolux 1000 watt with the XXXL hood (and I believe I am def going to hit a gr per watt if not very close this next batch), and a 4 x 4 with two 400's. One aircooled cool tube, and the other just a wing reflector. I have a large window unit in the room that does the job. Just the tents can get very hot at the canopy with too much heat getting trapped at the reflector, so I can def see why vertical is so much easier to cool. And the 400's def give me some larf, but the 1000 that is not an issue. I am going to have to check out some vert grows for some ideas I think.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...like anything else, vertical growing can be tailored to fit your own particular style, ...here's a few pics of some i've seen that illustrate the point that this can be done simply, as in my own case, or as complex as you would like to make it.

...the real benefit to vertical growing is the increased canopy size which can't help but increase yields.

peace, bozo

User45118 pic490852 1285017421

10510 006

User15177 pic595852 1296969149

User45118 pic490841 1285017368

User45118 pic490850 1285017421

User45118 pic572013 1294188199

User48442 pic545624 1291008625

User48442 pic674529 1305693800

User49928 pic40178 1237511900

User49928 pic321988 1268329314

User49928 pic335848 1269630934

User49928 pic449582 1280875907

User78627 pic769306 1318475285

User80178 pic254076 1261910561

User87719 pic528214 1288980340

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

...like anything else, vertical growing can be tailored to fit your own particular style, ...here's a few pics of some i've seen that illustrate the point that this can be done simply, as in my own case, or as complex as you would like to make it.

...the real benefit to vertical growing is the increased canopy size which can't help but increase yields.

peace, bozo

View attachment 396530
View attachment 396531
View attachment 396532
View attachment 396533
View attachment 396534
View attachment 396535
View attachment 396536
View attachment 396537
View attachment 396538
View attachment 396539
View attachment 396540
View attachment 396541
View attachment 396542
View attachment 396543
View attachment 396544

Till This Day, i STILL believe the BEST VERT setup I've ever seen came from Heath Robinson. The Orange netting im getting some rolls of and gonna try vert, top ring drip feed. Good pics.
Tmb

Top Bottom