Dreaded 2 Black Spotted Spider Mite

• Thread starter DemonTrich
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Another possible avid and forbid are my last resort.

Just did another round of 50% bleach and mopping. Then let dry. Then sprayed 2 bottles of safer soap over everything. I'll let that sit for 2 days, then Wipeout the whole room. 2 days later I'll spray sns 217. Wait 2 daus, then repeat. I've already bleached and washed all cloners, threw away all trays and solo cups cups.

I'm not 100% sure how they got in. Just trying to cover all aspects of how they got in so it doesn't happen again. At this time, since it's only in clone room, either soil, empty nute boxes are my only thoughts at this time. And it possibly started the infestation about 2 weeks ago.

I have NOT brought any clones in over 2 yrs.

P

PharmHand

I think the list of approved pesticides will grow too as more products are tested. With all the shit approved for food clearly they don't give an actual fuck what chemicals are going into our bodies they just want that piece of paper saying it's been tested

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter

Just did another round of 50% bleach and mopping. Then let dry. Then sprayed 2 bottles of safer soap over everything. I'll let that sit for 2 days, then Wipeout the whole room. 2 days later I'll spray sns 217. Wait 2 daus, then repeat. I've already bleached and washed all cloners, threw away all trays and solo cups cups.

I'm not 100% sure how they got in. Just trying to cover all aspects of how they got in so it doesn't happen again. At this time, since it's only in clone room, either soil, empty nute boxes are my only thoughts at this time. And it possibly started the infestation about 2 weeks ago.

Those serious pesticides i would spray as soon as possible if you have use them... they have a residual for 30 days easy.. try to never spray bud with it.... but there is nothing wrong with making a bottle and sprayin the room down... floors and stuff.

P

PharmHand

With your thoroughness you'll get em licked no problem. Mites are easy. Whiteflies on the other hand...... I've had them for several years can never truly get rid of them. Funny thing is I know a lot of growers and they never even heard of whiteflies. Wtf where did I get em from then? Lol. They don't do much damage tho so whatever. Got some predatory wasps otw hopefully rid myself of these pricks

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Monsanto?
Yes him too then they will label egee20 for organic use:D
You guys should check out bulldogsold thread when he was attacked with the hemp russets! Sprayed tons of pesticides then sold the product to a medical dispensary attacking sick people. He promised us lab test but never posted:(
In real time the sidewalk is for walking so get you god damn bike in the road!

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
You guys should check out bulldogsold thread when he was attacked with the hemp russets! Sprayed tons of pesticides then sold the product to a medical dispensary attacking sick people. He promised us lab test but never posted:(
Sounds legit..omri weed

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
You can't be a snitch, and be a mod. That's a deal breaker on any canna site.

I totally disagree with using azamax or spinosad. They show up in testing months and months after, especially in concentrates. If you are farming for the coming legal market, both of those products are a no go.

I have plenty of IPM remedies, but I am going to catalog a ton of this stuff in my own thread, so we can weed out the bad advice from non professionals. ( The future is going to be heavily regulated. It sucks, but it's coming)
Hmm kinda like being a magnet. First paragraph.
Second paragraph can you also post your 2015 ipm?

P

PharmHand

You can't be a snitch, and be a mod. That's a deal breaker on any canna site.

I totally disagree with using azamax or spinosad. They show up in testing months and months after, especially in concentrates. If you are farming for the coming legal market, both of those products are a no go.

I have plenty of IPM remedies, but I am going to catalog a ton of this stuff in my own thread, so we can weed out the bad advice from non professionals. ( The future is going to be heavily regulated. It sucks, but it's coming)
Or you could simply post a link to what's approved. Would have taken less time than to write all that out
Here's Oregons list:
https://www.oregon.gov/ODA/shared/D...PesticidesPARC/GuidelistPesticideCannabis.pdf
Both azamax and neem are approved, in Washington as well. Dow Agro Sciences holds the patent for spinosad its likely they just haven't tested it for cannabis yet likely for legal reasons. Dow is a mega corporation they'll probably wait for federal legalization before proceeding to test

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
It's approved for use, but not allowed to be detected in flower......... So go ahead, use it if you want.

I did write the op in PM.

P

PharmHand

If it's approved for use then there's obviously a period of time in the plants life it's allowed to be used right? In veg, first week of bud? Spraying your buds I could see detection, but leaves? Both products say they have minimal persistence in environment hence their organic approval

sixstring

sixstring

If it's approved for use then there's obviously a period of time in the plants life it's allowed to be used right? In veg, first week of bud? Spraying your buds I could see detection, but leaves? Both products say they have minimal persistence in environment hence their organic approval

Exactly and when the op says he has to treat some clones i dont just assume he will waterlog his entire flower room with it.as gg already mentioned bulldog is prob the last guy you wanna take advice from on the use of any type of chems.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
ROFL, What else you expect!

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Or you could simply post a link to what's approved. Would have taken less time than to write all that out
Here's Oregons list:
https://www.oregon.gov/ODA/shared/D...PesticidesPARC/GuidelistPesticideCannabis.pdf
Both azamax and neem are approved, in Washington as well. Dow Agro Sciences holds the patent for spinosad its likely they just haven't tested it for cannabis yet likely for legal reasons. Dow is a mega corporation they'll probably wait for federal legalization before proceeding to test
Been using sil-matrix + trilogy as a foliar and in Oregon. Both are listed above. Best bet is to not use spinosad or you can fail the test in Oregon. Have seen that happen. EM-5 also works well against mites.

One gallon recipe of sil-matrix + trilogy:

Add 9 mL Sil-Matrix.

Mix well.
Add 1 oz of Trilogy and mix well.
Spray top and bottom of leaves right before lights off / at lights off.
*** When spraying, temps should be below 80°F, soil should be wet not dry, and make sure they have 6 hours to dry before lights come back on to avoid burning with oils. DO not use within 2 weeks of using a sulfur burner.

Use the silica + neem 1x per week. and then follow up with the trilogy 3-4 days later.
By spraying the plants every 3 to 4 days you can beat the spider mites life cycle. Continue for 4 weeks and if pest pressure declines then do a weekly dose.

Sil-matrix is a OMRi approved silica product.

Trilogy is a Clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil that is easy to mix with water. Does not need to be emulisfied like other neem oils.

Hope that helps! Happy growing you can beat those mites.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
More info on neem vs azadirachtin.

Question: What is the difference between azadirachtin and neem?

Answer: Neem is not a single substance but is a general term for both azadirachtin and neem oil, which are derived from the neem tree, Azadirachta indica. The seed kernels contain the highest concentrations of active compounds. Seeds are soaked in water and alcohol in order to extract any pesticidal constituents. After the natural neem oil is removed from the seeds, it is treated with alcohol, which causes the azadirachtin and related substances to separate from the neem oil. The subsequent remaining oil without the azadirachtin is referred to as clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil. The two main active ingredients derived from the neem tree seeds are azadirachtin and clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil (also referred to simply as “neem oil”).

Azadirachtin. Azadirachtin is not a single compound. It has a very complex structure, being a mixture of related substances extracted from the neem seed kernels. The seeds are the only source of azadirachtin. Azadirachtin affects insects in many different ways including acting as an insect growth regulator, anti-feedant, repellent, sterilant and oviposition inhibitor.

As an insect growth regulator, azadirachtin acts as an antagonist by inhibiting the synthesis or metabolism of the insect molting hormone ecdysone. Consequently, by inhibiting the molting process and subsequently metamorphosis, this causes insects to die when transitioning into the next life stage or instar (insect stage between molts) thus disrupting the life cycle of insects, which prevents the production of future generations.

Azadirachtin is more effective on the immature/ young life stages of insects than eggs or adults. However, azadirachtin is slower-acting than conventional insecticides, which is primarily due to azadirachtin altering or modifying the behavior of insects. Azadirachtin works as a stomach poison in which insects must ingest the active ingredient during feeding in order to be negatively affected. Activity seems to be better on chewing than sucking insects. This may be the reason why azadirachtin is most effective against caterpillars.

Azadirachtin has minimal contact activity against most insect pests and works best at warmer temperatures (>70¡ F) with reduced efficacy at lower temperatures. Azadirachtin has been shown to have systemic properties with activity against certain insect pests, although this is contingent on plant type and pH of the growing medium, with less systemic activity at a pH greater than 7.0 (alkaline). This is interesting as azadirachtin has a low water solubility (0.05 ppm).

In addition, some studies have reported that foliar applications of azadirachtin are effective in suppressing populations of the two-spotted spider mite, Tetranychus urticae. A number of products registered for use in greenhouses that contain azadirachtin as the active ingredient include Azatin, Ornazin, AzaGuard, Molt-X, Azatrol, AzaSol and Aza- Direct. Most of these products are labeled for use against aphids, caterpillars, leafminers, mealybugs, scales, thrips and whiteflies.

Clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil. Clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil (neem oil) works by suffocating (blocking breathing pores) insect and mite pests. Neem oil is most active on soft-bodied insect and mite pests such as aphids, whiteflies, spider mites, mealybugs and scales.

Neem oil may kill eggs, immatures (larvae or nymphs) and adults. However, neem oil only has contact activity so it is important to obtain thorough coverage of all plant parts and make repeat applications based on label recommendations. The one product containing clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil as the active ingredient that is registered for greenhouse use is Triact. This product is labeled for use against aphids, leafhoppers, mealybugs, mites, scales and whiteflies.

Azadirachtin and clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil have short residual activity, primarily due to their susceptibility to ultra-violet light (sunlight) degradation, which means that repeat applications are typically required. Both compounds have low toxicity to humans and mammals with an LD50 >5,000 mg/ kg. In addition, azadirachtin and clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil, in general, are less harmful to most natural enemies (parasitoids and predators) than conventional pesticides.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Add garlic to em-5 makes it more effective against mites. You can make using homemade EM or if in a rush can use the EM-1 product. Will work either way.

if you got the time them rotate in the EM-5 along with the silica and trilogy.

Monday: Sil-matrix + trilogy
Wednesday: EM-5
Friday: Trilogy.
Repeat for 4 weeks and mites are usually toast. Then repeat weekly as preventative.

If someone has them real bad. Then can use bush beans to trap and remove mites. mnites iwl usually attack bush beans first. The method is called using trap pla
Mites do not like lavender or rosemary. Can also rotate in other oils that repel mites. (Rosemary, Lavendar etc )

Do make sure to coat the underside of the leaves well. Contact is important to wipe out the mites.

Recipe for EM-5
EM5

EM5 is often used as a type of homemade pesticide. The fermentation extracts properties out of plant materials and the alcohol and retains them in the liquid. The EM•1® in the recipe is the fermentation catalyst. EM•1® itself has no pesticide qualities at all. This is an all-natural concoction that can be made by anyone and is in no way harmful to humans or animals. It combines water, EM•1®, a distilled spirit, molasses, and vinegar. The most successful programs with EM5 involve alternating its applications with Activated EM•1® and EMFPE. EM5 is effective for reducing pest populations because EM5 contains esters formed by mixing acetic acid and alcohol, which provokes intestinal intoxication.

The formula for one gallon of EM5 is as follows (1:1:1:1:20):

1. 3/4 C EM•1®
  2. 3/4 C Molasses
  3. 3/4 C Vinegar (white or apple cider)
  4. 3/4 C distilled alcohol (vodka, whiskey, tequila)
  5. Add some other plant material (fresh hot peppers or garlic...or fresh herbs that have known pesticide properties like mint leaves, lavender, eucalyptus, mella luca, neem, etc.)
  6. Fill the gallon container with warm water (110-120ºF)
  7. Seal and ferment until pH goes below 4.0
Spray EM5 alternately with EM•1® or EM•1® Fermented Plant Extract through a hose-end sprayer. The thought here is to prevent the pests from getting used to or building a tolerance to the same product.

Often people will set up an informal program as follows (Diluting the AEM•1®, EM5, or EM FPE with 500 parts water):

Week One: Apply AEM•1®, 1 gallon for 1/2 acre property
Week Two: Apply EM5, 1 gallon for 1/2 acre property
Week Three: Apply EM FPE, 1 gallon for 1/2 acre property
Week Four: Apply AEM•1®, 1 gallon for 1/2 acre property

This pattern is repeated throughout the growing season.

SpiderK

SpiderK

i guess the pressure of asset / commodity inflation coupled with waterfalling profit margins will drive love of the plant, hippie flower lovers into blood thirsty industrialized capitalist

pollen chucking, elite clone " only's " , breeder fluffing, forum cliques ..... so many zipped lips, regarding truth since 2002.

wall street, .gov ..... karma running wild on industry w/ sickle like 4horsemen

Last edited:
DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
@Seamaiden whom I havent seen in a while swears by iso and water with a few drops of dish soap for spider mites if my memory serves me correctly. The trick is, whatever you use do it in three or 4 seperate applications days apart to get new hatchlings that were missed and clean everything in your house as well.
Peracetic acid will kill any biologic organism on a cellular basis, it will bleach clothes, hair and skin.
http://cleaningbusinesstoday.com/blog/hydrogen-peroxide-vinegar-a-disinfecting-duo

Top Bottom